Maintenance Questions About My "new To Me" Ls400

austinpower

Hi Folks, new to the forums. I just got my 1999 LS400 92k miles last weekend. Awsome car!! I got it for $8500. Good price eh? It's got a few cosmetic issues that I can live with.

The car needs the 90k maintenance so i've got a few questions. I'll do the oil, air filter, cabin air filter, and spark plugs myself.

1. Where do I get genuine Lexus/Toyota parts besides the dealer? Napa/Autozone/Oreilys? More specifically, oil filters? Can I just use a Wix oil filter?

2. Do I need to put a new washer on the drain plug? If so, what size?

3. I looked in the owners manual, and the fuel filter is never mentioned. I see that some people here have changed it, but is it necessary? I've never owned a car that didn't need the fuel filter changed.

4. I want to change all the fluids since I don't know the history of the car. Here's what I want to change, sound good?

---timing belt, water pump, brake fluid flush, coolant, thermostat, transmission flush, differential oil change, belt tensionor, serpentine belt

5. What can I expect to pay for all this work?

6. Should I take it to the stealer to get the work done, or can I take it to my local shop(which I prefer).

7. Anyone know of any good reasonably priced LS400 mechanics in Austin, Tx?

Thanks for the input everyone. Love my new luxury ride!! Quite a step up for me since my previous car was a 1993 Subaru Impreza(aka the purple pig).

Hi Folks, new to the forums. I just got my 1999 LS400 92k miles last weekend. Awsome car!! I got it for $8500. Good price eh? It's got a few cosmetic issues that I can live with.

The car needs the 90k maintenance so i've got a few questions. I'll do the oil, air filter, cabin air filter, and spark plugs myself.

1. Where do I get genuine Lexus/Toyota parts besides the dealer? Napa/Autozone/Oreilys? More specifically, oil filters? Can I just use a Wix oil filter?

2. Do I need to put a new washer on the drain plug? If so, what size?

3. I looked in the owners manual, and the fuel filter is never mentioned. I see that some people here have changed it, but is it necessary? I've never owned a car that didn't need the fuel filter changed.

4. I want to change all the fluids since I don't know the history of the car. Here's what I want to change, sound good?

---timing belt, water pump, brake fluid flush, coolant, thermostat, transmission flush, differential oil change, belt tensionor, serpentine belt

5. What can I expect to pay for all this work?

6. Should I take it to the stealer to get the work done, or can I take it to my local shop(which I prefer).

7. Anyone know of any good reasonably priced LS400 mechanics in Austin, Tx?

Thanks for the input everyone. Love my new luxury ride!! Quite a step up for me since my previous car was a 1993 Subaru Impreza(aka the purple pig).

Welcome to the forum. I think you got a very good deal on your car.

1. Sewell Lexus (www.lexus-parts.com) is a good place to go for parts if you don't want to buy them at the dealer, although for most stuff, I don't think they are all that much cheaper. I always use Toyota/Denso oil filters on my car and have had no experience with other brands. The Toyota filters are not any more expensive than anything else, so I really don't see why you would want to put anything but them on your car.

2. Yes. The washer costs $1.49 and can be purchased from Toyota/Lexus dealer. Part Number is 90430-12031.

3. I changed the filter in my car at around 137,000 miles. It may not have been necessary but it did not cost much ($35)

4. Probably a good idea if you don't know when they were last changed.

5. Based on estimates from my local mechanics, my guess would be around $1200 for all the work you mentioned. You probably don't want to do the Timing Belt/Water Pump yourself, but the fluids are relatively easy if you have some experience and basic tools.

6. If your local shop knows Lexus vehicles and their common problems well, they would probably be a great place to take your car. If they don't use Toyota genuiue parts I think you should have the work done at the dealer or another independent mechanic.

7. No. Perhaps someone else in your area can help you.

I just had my LS430 in for both the 90K & 120K services (odo read 114,892 - I intentionally waited this long to get the timing belt changed with all of the other services for the 120K, but that just may be my gambling nature).

Anyway, total cost (with a new battery thrown in - the cold Minnesota winters took it's toll on the old one) came to just over $1700.00 from the dealer & for that much engine work, I trust the dealer to not screw something up, as opposed to a non-lexus certified mechanic.

They also informed me I needed new brakes @ $369.00 per axle (the pads still had life in them, but the ABS sensor that clips into the pad was about to rub the rotors) - took it to a trusted AAA independent shop for this & only spent $420.00 total.

Thanks for the replys, I wouldn't mind too much paying 1200 for all that work, but 1700 is getting a little high. I'll call the dealership tomorrow and ask them for a quote.

I'd still like to find a local mom/pop shop that specializes in Lexus.

Oh, the car has that pesky problem with the winshield washer fluid sensor always indicating that it needs more washer fluid. I'm going to tap the sensor tomorrow and see if it turns off.

They also informed me I needed new brakes @ $369.00 per axle (the pads still had life in them, but the ABS sensor that clips into the pad was about to rub the rotors) - took it to a trusted AAA independent shop for this & only spent $420.00 total.

ouch $420 for a brake job....

considering OEM pads for about $45 each axel

http://www.irontoad.com/Merchant2/merchant..._Code=1999ls400

Thanks for the replys, I wouldn't mind too much paying 1200 for all that work, but 1700 is getting a little high. I'll call the dealership tomorrow and ask them for a quote.

I'd still like to find a local mom/pop shop that specializes in Lexus.

Oh, the car has that pesky problem with the winshield washer fluid sensor always indicating that it needs more washer fluid. I'm going to tap the sensor tomorrow and see if it turns off.

Congrats on your new ride. I agree, it is an awesome car. Chances of you finding a mom/pop shop specializing in Lexus I think are slim. It's not a high volume brand. I know shops that complain some of the manufacturers (Chrysler being one) are very proprietary in their service tech info. This practice basically forces the owners to go back to the dealer for service. I'm not sure about Lexus. You might do better with a high end import shop. You'll definitely do better with a Toyota dealer for prices.

The $1700 was for both the 90K & 120K services and a tranny flush & fill (perferred recommendation @ 120K). The dealer quoted me $800.00 for just the timing belt/water pump replacement. I could have gotten it a lot cheaper at an independent, but this way I know it was done properly.

If you are willing to do some/most of the fluid changes yourself, you would certainly be able to save quite a bit from the dealer costs. As mentioned before, a site that I have used for parts only is from Sewell Lexus @ http://www.lexus-parts.com.

Good luck with your new ride & have as much pleasure driving it as we all do.