Gs350 Hard Starting So Dealer Took Back

I never post in forums, generally I just see what is talked about. I read the forum and decided on an 08 GS350. The first time I tried to start it is toook three tries before if finally turned-over, just acted fuel starved. The problem was there every morning for the 8 days I owned the car. I thought it was an problem that would be easily resolved. It turned into a a real surprise. The dealer said that the car was the victim of some kind of programing error that had been seen on only a handfull of GS350s. Lucky me. As I understood it, Lexus changed to direct injection on GS350s this year and there are some starting issues on select (maybe a production batch?) cars in "certain" conditions. Dealer said they would put me in a car for the 30-45 days it would likely take for lexus to download the software fix for the car's injection...and have the fix tested and approved by the EPA...that is what they said...not just something I thought up. Thankfully, my dealer made arrangemenbts to take back the car and offered me a different GS350 or a nice deal on a GS460. I took the GS460 as I did not want to be "lucky" again and get another GS350 with starting problems. Just an FYI. However, I do like my GS460!

This is the 1st time I have heard of the GS350 not starting due to programming. How much of a good deal do the dealer gave you on the V8? Is the V8 noticebaly faster than the GS350? The GS460 is suppose to have the nicer leather on the seats right, can you tell the difference?

The starting problem was news to me too. I paid about 4k more than I had in the GS350. The leather is softer, or so it seems now that I paid more. Faster? I am a very SLOW driver, that's why I opted for the GS350 the first time around. I will say that when I drove it on the Tollway I was really surprised at how smooth and quiet the engine is, drove much faster than I intended...

Interesting post!, My wife and I just bought a new 2008 GS350 AWD in mid December 07. Beautiful car and one we thought we would never be able to afford. It finally came that we had the oportunity to get one so we bought it. This was our fourth Lexus from the same dealer since 2000'. We brought it home and later that same day, went to start it and had to go through two complete crank cycles before it finally fired off and ran. It stumbled a little then ran smooth and all seemed OK. I thought that was very odd for a brand new car with 25 miles on it to do that. I have an engine technical background so I knew the first day it did this, that there was something definately wrong. We continued to run it for a few days and it continued to be very hard starting on a regular basis, especially when it was cold. Once it was started, it would drive just fine and perform well. Filled the tank with a fresh batch of premium gas but made no difference.

Being a brand new car with now 300 miles on it, it went back to the dealer. They had the vehicle for about 2 weeks and determined the problem could not be corrected anytime soon. We really got no details on just what the problem was, but felt Lexus had a little "bug" here that needed to be figured out. The dealer then agreed that under the circumstances, they would offer us another car to replace it. We took our chances and they ordered us in another 08' GS350 like we had. This one so far has been just fine with no starting problems at all. We are very pleased with the car and all seems good once again.

I have to say that when this type of situation occurs, it typically breeds ill feelings between dealers and customers and in my experience, does not have a happy ending. I can not put into words how well we were treated by both our dealer, and Lexus in making sure we remained a very satisfied customer. We had no problems with any of the three previous Lexus vehicles we owned and knew that now when we did, they would stand behind the product and they truely did. This is why we buy Lexus vehicles and definately will continue to do so. Our dealer in Naperville bent over backwards to make good on this and again, I can not say enough good about them. I have no doubt that Lexus will get the starting "bug" fixed soon and it won't be an issue.

Interesting post!, My wife and I just bought a new 2008 GS350 AWD in mid December 07. Beautiful car and one we thought we would never be able to afford. It finally came that we had the oportunity to get one so we bought it. This was our fourth Lexus from the same dealer since 2000'. We brought it home and later that same day, went to start it and had to go through two complete crank cycles before it finally fired off and ran. It stumbled a little then ran smooth and all seemed OK. I thought that was very odd for a brand new car with 25 miles on it to do that. I have an engine technical background so I knew the first day it did this, that there was something definately wrong. We continued to run it for a few days and it continued to be very hard starting on a regular basis, especially when it was cold. Once it was started, it would drive just fine and perform well. Filled the tank with a fresh batch of premium gas but made no difference.

Being a brand new car with now 300 miles on it, it went back to the dealer. They had the vehicle for about 2 weeks and determined the problem could not be corrected anytime soon. We really got no details on just what the problem was, but felt Lexus had a little "bug" here that needed to be figured out. The dealer then agreed that under the circumstances, they would offer us another car to replace it. We took our chances and they ordered us in another 08' GS350 like we had. This one so far has been just fine with no starting problems at all. We are very pleased with the car and all seems good once again.

I have to say that when this type of situation occurs, it typically breeds ill feelings between dealers and customers and in my experience, does not have a happy ending. I can not put into words how well we were treated by both our dealer, and Lexus in making sure we remained a very satisfied customer. We had no problems with any of the three previous Lexus vehicles we owned and knew that now when we did, they would stand behind the product and they truely did. This is why we buy Lexus vehicles and definately will continue to do so. Our dealer in Naperville bent over backwards to make good on this and again, I can not say enough good about them. I have no doubt that Lexus will get the starting "bug" fixed soon and it won't be an issue.

Hello I'm new to the forum and have the same issue you are having. I'm trying to get Lexus corporate to replace my vehicle, but they have not decided what to do yet. For the 2 of you on this post that got new vehicles out of this, how exactly did you get this done?? Did your dealers offer this out the kindness of their hearts, or did you have to fight for it?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't feel right keeping a vehicle that has an issue 400 miles into owning it. Thanks again.

We contacted my sales person, the service manager, and the general manager asap. Everyone was interested in resolving this for me. I imagine that my car was early in the "discovery phase" of the GS350 starting issue. I might not have had such an effortless return on the old car if there were a line of GS350's starting to form in the service lanes. Also, we asked if my 2007 Aura RL was still around...we would take it back and start over elsewhere. In no small part, I think that buying 4 cars from this dealer in 2 years and more than ten Lexus cars overall in the last seven years did not hurt our case. All-in-all I was really pleased. I never said anything more than "I want this taken care of", and they did.

• 2 weeks later...
:angry: My wife and I bought a new 08 GS350 AWD in the Lexus to Remember sale in Dec 07. The day we picked the car up it took three tries to start but were told that there was no problem. We are now into two months of the car consistently not starting. Lexus has been very uncommittal in stating what the problem is or when for sure they will fix. The dealer continues to state they will work with us but to this date they have refused to take the car back. I never thought I would have to exercise the Lemon laws for a $50,000 car.

:angry: My wife and I bought a new 08 GS350 AWD in the Lexus to Remember sale in Dec 07. The day we picked the car up it took three tries to start but were told that there was no problem. We are now into two months of the car consistently not starting. Lexus has been very uncommittal in stating what the problem is or when for sure they will fix. The dealer continues to state they will work with us but to this date they have refused to take the car back. I never thought I would have to exercise the Lemon laws for a $50,000 car.

let me no wht happens cause im exercising the lemon too cause my headlights r a defect....i have a lawyer on it now so were waiting 4 a respones now

• 1 month later...

No they havent sort it out in the 08 GS yet. My GS is only a month old and it did not start one time on the 1st crank. Havent happen since so no big deal. I heard there is a TSB for the starting problem now.