Shifter Console Indicator Bulb

My gearshift indicator bulb in the center console has burned out. Not a huge deal, but I want to fix it. I searched the forum archives but can't find a step-by-step for disassembling the shifter console to replace the indicator bulb. Anyone know how to do this on a 98 GS?

It's pretty easy and I think you'll need a 74type led bulb, just reuse the green plastic cap from the burnt out bulb.

check out

http://bananags.grantham-international.com/

Its the interior project #17. When i did it the other day I thought I was going to break something but a lil force properly directed goes a long way. Just pull the ashtray straight back and the rest is just as easy.

• 1 year later...
It's pretty easy and I think you'll need a 74type led bulb, just reuse the green plastic cap from the burnt out bulb.

check out

http://bananags.grantham-international.com/

Its the interior project #17. When i did it the other day I thought I was going to break something but a lil force properly directed goes a long way. Just pull the ashtray straight back and the rest is just as easy.

Wondering if you can help me out, since i see you've had a little exerience with this. I have a '98 GS400. I also wanted to replace my bulb. I took apart my console as well as the shifter cover. I disconnected the car lighter, ECT, VSC, and the 12v adapter. I put everything back but now I can't shift into "D" or "L". On top of that my key is locked in the ignition. Any idea of what it could be?