Windshield Replacement For Rx300

LexKid630

About a week or so ago a car picked up a rock that created a long crack in the windshield on my daughter's Rx300 to the point where it needed to be replaced.

I went to my favorite autobody shop, to which they stated they could take care of it. He stated he could do it for me for $150! I heard him speaking to someone on the phone telling him it was $139?? I could be wrongthough... He said that he would do this for me without profit since i've been doing work with him for a while.

Well i took it down there to have it replaced this morning. After an hour, it was finished! Everything "seemed" to be fine at first until i looked at it closely while driving back home.

1. There is no longer a "LEXUS" engraved in the corner. On the other corner, "Pilkington" is written.

2. 4 or so inches in from the left side (top to bottom) there is noticable distortion. I "guess" i could get used to it, but it jsut doesn't seem right to me.

3. I noticed the rear-view mirror was misplaced, showing the wire. I figured it was just held on by adhesive tape, so i attempted to slide it a bit, in the right position. I guess i used too much force because it came off of the glass, but took some of the glass too! Then i noticed an inch or so long crack coming from this area. Ten minutes later the crack made it down to the windshield wipers!

4. There are a few long scratches on the exterior of the glass probably from cleaning it with a dirty rag etc? I wasn't the one who cleaned it though...

I called my bodyshop and told them what had happened. They stated that they actually didn't do the work, but that they have someone come in some mornings to do glass work. They called the company and explained it to them, and gave me the company's number to call them and scedule an appt. to do it at their place.

Well i called them and explained to them what happened (only about the mirror). They said they haven't heard of this happening before, but that it was probably just a defect in the glass. I made an appointment for Thursday morning when their "distributer" can look at it.

Is this "Pilkington" glass crap? I thought $150 was a bit cheap, but my bodyshop obv. has connections to this place so that could explain the price.

I did a little reasearch and have found mixed opinions about this brand. Some say it's the same thing as OEM, other's say it's different. Could it truely be that this individual peace was just crap? I can't believe that the amt. of force i applied moving the mirror should crack the glass.

if this "distributor" argues that it was my fault, what could i say? I really don't feel that i am to blame. I can judge what force should break glass; and i was only using my hands to slide the mirror! Could i argue that it's distorted, and show him the scratches too, to show how defective this glass is?

Also, does this glass have that water-repelling layer that comes on Lexus'? To be honest, i don't even know what this repelling layer is or what it does, i don't really notice anything. But maybe that's just because i haven't driven anything besides Lexus' in a while and can't see the difference?

Going though insurance ($500 d) with my family's accident/ticket history, or paying out of pocket for $1000+ OEM glass isn't really an option...

Any help much appreciated.

Do you like my scotch tape mirror hanger? :blushing:

post-13420-1201645097_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1201645104_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1201645112_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1201645120_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1201645127_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1201645135_thumb.jpg

post-13420-1201645568_thumb.jpg

This is why I never replace windshields with anything but OEM glass...

I "would" put OEM glass in it, if i was going to be driving it for the next 10 years, but i don't know how much longer we're going to have it. My daugter drives it daily and she couldn't care less... so i'm just trying to find reasons why i should.

I'm just worried about this distortion becoming a safety thing. And i don't want it chipping and cracking with any little force that's applied to it; what would happen in an accident!? :(

I just need to find someone who has first hand experience with this glass to get their opinions etc.

I've replaced the windshield in my GS-300 three times in the last 3 years, all 3 times it was a rock. The first was replaced from a the truck who threw a rock up at my car and the truck's insurance company paid for an OEM Windshield at a cost of $1007. installed, the Lexus Dealer told me the windshield was special and that I should not get an aftermarket windshield because of the noise the windshield would make from the wind. I didn't know if this was just a line the dealer uses but thought I'd try an aftermarket windshield since the money was coming out of my pocket this time. The Second was an after market windshield ($200. installed) made by PPG Glass, this is apparently the same company who makes the original OEM windshield for Lexus. I didn't notice any wind noise with the windshield either. Just two weeks ago I had my third windshield put in my GS and a buddy of mine who owns a body shop that fixes only Toyota's and Lexus' and he told me the same exact thing. PPG Glass makes the glass for LEXUS! This time he only charged me $140. installed. Happy with PPG Glass, go figure.......1ST TIME $ 1007., 2ND & 3RD Time under $200. ???? Hope this helps in your decision. I wouldn't pay for the glass if it happened to me.

Cheap is cheap, and that's why I totally agree with SW03ES.......only replace a windshield with an OEM Lexus part!

P.S. I was told this by an honest auto glass company who chose not to replace my Lexus windshield unless I would pay for the OEM part. He told me that he had too many problems with aftermarket replacements.

My 4runner has that Pilkington glass windsheild too. The dealership had it put in because the other one had been damaged during delivery of the vehicle from the auction "it's used". Other than poor craftmanship of the installer with regards to the weatherstripping on the roof, I have no issues with it. I think the quality of a windshield has as much to do with the installer as it has to do with the glass itself. It sounds like to me that the installer of your daughters glass probably cheaped on the windshield clips which caused a stress/flex point which created the crack. Honestly, in my opinion, spending that much money for an oem version, just doesn't make sense to me. Especially since it'll probably get beatup again anyway. If you get wind noise, just hit the windshield with some rain-x to smooth it out. The wind won't grab to the glass, but rather flow over it. But, to each is his/her own, and I can understand why OEM is used for some. As long as it is tempered "shatters in tiny pieces, not razer sharp chunks", I see little difference. When the mirror came down, it probably took with it the film on the inside of the glass that is supposed to hold the windshield together in the event of a crash.

I too have to agree with sticking with OEM glass. The windshield is part of the body structure & it's important the correct part(s) are used & installed professionally.

PPG (Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company) & LOF (which is now Pilkington from what I can find) are two of the largest glass makers for the auto industry that I know of (and both of good quality...although PPG would be my first choice). I also understand that some automakers actually make their own glass now too....but not sure what brands specifically.

I wonder if they used a lower line model of windshield in an effort to save you some money. Ask them if they have something that's of better quality they can replace it with & ask them to use a bit of extra care when installing the rearview mirror this time. Might even want to get a price for the PPG one & just pay the difference. Good luck.

:cheers:

Well i read that article... and i'm still confused LOL. They seem to have mixed feelings as well. They're stating that there's no such thing as a replacement OEM windshield? I can't believe that.

So the only difference between this Pilkington brand and the one that comes from the factory is the badge?

I def. notice a difference looking through this thing. Everything seems like it's a different color. If i look out of the windshield and then through my side glass, the side glass seems to make everything a bit more "green-ish" - like the tint seen in the headlights? Does that make sense?

I think the original windshield had this tint too. I never noticed the greenish tint until now that this new Pilkington thing lacks it. Am i groing crazy?:cries:

Its your call. But I'd rather have a cracked OEM windshield than a replacement aftermarket windshield. I've had PPG windshields and they've had distortions, etc.

As for wind noise and Rain-X, that won't work. Wind noise is caused by uneven seams after the windshield is installed poorly.

Its your call. But I'd rather have a cracked OEM windshield than a replacement aftermarket windshield. I've had PPG windshields and they've had distortions, etc.

As for wind noise and Rain-X, that won't work. Wind noise is caused by uneven seams after the windshield is installed poorly.

I did notice a slight noise at highway speeds, but i figured out it was just the tape flapping in the wind. This morning i removed a small piece of the flapping tape and didn't notice any unusual noises on the highway. i'm out of state and won't be returning until Thursday. I hope this thing doesn't smash on me while driving, for i have a lot of it ahead of me before it gets fixed :cries:

That's true. Poor seam work will cause whistles and howls all day long. But if the glass itself if rough, I've always had good luck with rain-x to help smooth it out. My LS was one of those that suffered the pitted windshield, well I say suffered, but actually 10 years of highway driving, I guess it's probably normal. But I would put on some rainx and it made it noticably quieter. But, that was oem glass.

I don't know man, it's a tough call. I must admit, being a Toyota driver instead of Lexus, my cheap side is coming out a bit more... Any my blood pressure has fallen a little too! Funny how a little badge on the back can make you more acceptable of little squeeks here and there! Hahaa.. If it were the LS, I'd have a tough time with aftermarket glass. If possible before you hit the road home, have it fixed again. You could possibly get pulled over for a busted windshield, in some states. The fact that it cracked straight down the middle says to me a poor install job. Like the angle of curve of the car is too much for the glass to take, and it split in half. You agree SWO?

If my Pilkinton windshield cracks now, I'm blaming you guys for jinxing me! Seemed like everytime a problem was posted on here, I developed it

Just piping in with my 2 cents, but about 8 months ago I had windshield replaced with Safelite. I think that my insurance company (USAA) has some kind of connection with them, but I have been very happy with it. No distortion, no noise & I have had a couple of road rocks bounce off of it this winter already - with no cracks or chips (fingers crossed & knocking on wood).

I too was worried about non-OEM replacement, but for the cost difference (about $1500.00 net), I really couldn't see having my insurance pay for the non deductable portion. If everyone insured with them demanded OEM glass, I would really hate to see what the premiums would become.

Anyway, another option for you to maybe check out.

The fact that it cracked straight down the middle says to me a poor install job. Like the angle of curve of the car is too much for the glass to take, and it split in half. You agree SWO?

Yeah, a crack like that is absolutely a poor install job.

Just piping in with my 2 cents, but about 8 months ago I had windshield replaced with Safelite. I think that my insurance company (USAA) has some kind of connection with them, but I have been very happy with it. No distortion, no noise & I have had a couple of road rocks bounce off of it this winter already - with no cracks or chips (fingers crossed & knocking on wood).

I too was worried about non-OEM replacement, but for the cost difference (about $1500.00 net), I really couldn't see having my insurance pay for the non deductable portion. If everyone insured with them demanded OEM glass, I would really hate to see what the premiums would become.

I'm with them too, and I agree! You can't beat USAA premiums, home, auto, renters, jewelry, you name it!

I'm with them too, and I agree! You can't beat USAA premiums, home, auto, renters, jewelry, you name it!

Absolutely one of the best companies to do business with - they also offer affiliation discounts with a bunch of vendors nationwide - been a member for 20 some years & have never had a problem with any of their services!

I finally received the complete & detailed service/maintenance records for my 2005 ES in the mail yesterday....one of the items was the previous owner had to replace the windshield about halfway through his lease. He installed an OE windshield according to the work order (it has 'Lexus' stamped in the glass on the bottom drivers side near the VIN number that matches the rest of the glass on the car).

It appears that he paid out of pocket (as opposed to going through insurance.....you will get dinged on some insurance policys come renewal time here in Ontario). Total parts & labour was $646.17. It makes me feel good that the previous owner replaced it with an OE windshield......and based on the rest of the service history, my new ride was extremely well cared for. B)

:cheers:

Well i took it in to them this morning at exactly 9 when he told me to bring it in to have it replaced... At 12:00 it was completed, but YET AGAIN, problems. The new glass is even more wavy! This time a large area infront of the passenger side. I asked the "manager" to come out and see it, but he sent one of his "illegals" -oops i mean, workers, out to see it for him. He stated, "Yepp that's distortion. Just call the manager in a few days to make an appointment"

I didn't understand why i needed to call later since i was already ten feet from the enterance of the place, but i was *BLEEP*ed so i just said fine and drove off. An hour later i called the "manager" to ask him when i could come in and have it replaced AGAIN. He kept repeating, "You know, i already replaced it once... the mirror didn't come off by itself" - he kept insinuating that i was the one who broke it, and that he did me a favor already by replacing it for free? Even though it wasn't my fault the darn thing broke in the first place! Later on in the conversation i asked "Well what time should i have it replaced, I'd like an actual TIME not a time 'frame'. - This is because i didn't feel like having to wait another 3 friggin hours. It was at this point where he stated, "You know what, you're on your own now pal, take it somewhere else" and hung up on me!

I immediately called my body shop (the people who sent me to this place in the first place) but the owner i wanted to speak to isn't in until 4pm today. i'll call him back and tell him my situation- i have a feeling he is going to be *BLEEP*ED that this placed treated his customer (me) so poorly.

If that doesn't work, my brother-in-law is the mayor of the town this place is in, and i'm sure he won't mind helping me out ;)

Just thought i'd share LOL.

This is going to keep happening as long as you keep using aftermarket glass.

You're picky like me. I think these people who are satisfied with aftermarket glass aren't as picky as we are. I have never seen an aftermarket windshield I was satisfied with.

When my aunt had her 1990 Lexus LS400 that she bought new had the windshield cracked by a rock flying up on the freeway, a glass company "repaired" the small starburst crack. <_< The next morning, the windshield was cracked all the way across. This happened around 1995 if I recall. It was then replaced with a "cheap glass" that cracked few months later... then it was replaced with a genuine "Toyota" glass and it was fine when she sold the car in 2006 with 222K.

This is going to keep happening as long as you keep using aftermarket glass.

You're picky like me. I think these people who are satisfied with aftermarket glass aren't as picky as we are. I have never seen an aftermarket windshield I was satisfied with.

I think you're right, everyone i show this glass to says i'm nuts. but it's there!

Took it back to the autobody shop, he made a call to this glass place, bottom line it's being replaced AGAIN Friday morning, zero cost to me. He's going to have me look at the glass before he puts it in the car, so i can make sure it's to my liking.

I'm sorry but even an aftermarket glass shouldn't be wavy like this.

It'll be wavy.

You're right! The new one is wavy as well, actually worse than the first 2 replacements. The guy was trying to BS me telling me the wavy-ness is the reflection of the dash - i didn't even attempt to argue with him because i KNOW it's not the dash, since my orig. one didn't have this.

But my daughter seems to think i'm crazy, so i guess i'm just being too picky about it.

So to anyone out there thinking about replacing their rx300 windshield with Pilkington, here's proof that they're junk!

If i was the primary driver, i'd bite the bullet and get the OEM one.

Thanks for your help guys!

• 1 month later...

Another update :censored:

This new crap windshield is AWFUL. EVERY little piece of sand etc makes a chip in the glass. I swear this month old crap windshield looks worse than the 75,000 mile OEM one that was on the car before it was replaced.