95 Es300 O2 Sensor S1 B1

boglensky

Hello,

I am a new lexus owner and new to this forum. I just bought a 95 es300 with 150k on it for 2,300 and the exterior and interior are in great condition for the year and mileage. I'm pretty sure i got a great deal on the car. I am very happy with it so far as it was a major upgrade from my 92 accord sdn with one working power window and not a single body panel that didn't have a dent.

Before i bought the car, the owner stated in the listing that it will need work for the next inspection. When we met, he said that a toyota dealer said that it will need a new cat for next inspection. I expected the check engine light to be on and my expectations were met when i drove the car. I used to work in a shop (gas pumper, not quite a tech, but somewhat knowledgable)and I stopped down yesterday to check what codes would come up with the "07 snap-on scan tool.

Unexpectedly but related, there was no code for the cat, but rather the O2 sensor (Sensor 1, Bank 1) and I have some questions regarding this code. I've done some research on previous threads as well as other sites regarding sensor locations and part numbers so that I can do it myself, but I'm still unsure of everything I want to know.

-I believe that S1 B1 is between the engine and firewall on the exhaust manifold. Is this correct?

-I looked on ebay, nkg, lexus-parts, and other parts sites for the sensor but im not sure if S1 B1 is Upstream left, Upstream right, or Downstream? Are the O2 sensors universal, or is there a specific sensor for S1 B1? Does anyone have the O2 S1 B1 OEM part number?

-The cat itself looks ok and the flexpipe is intact, but the wire mesh on the outside of the flex pipe is for the most part gone which is probably why the dealer said it would need one. Is it suggested that I change the cat and all O2 sensors to increase my chances of the check engine light staying off, or just s1 b1?

-How difficult or easy is it to clean the MAF sensor and does this improve acceleration and/or fuel mileage?

-Any easy performance mods that can be done without major investments in money and time?

Any other tips or suggestions related to this will be helpful. Also thanks to everyone who posts knowledgable, accurate tips and fixes on this site (im going to use the headlight haze tutorial i found). I look forward to being a contributing member.

Just wanted to say welecome to the club! :)

Someone will chime in on the code issues you are having.

As for performance mods....what exactly are you looking to do? I would start with some new tires myself. B)

:cheers:

Just wanted to say welecome to the club! :)

Someone will chime in on the code issues you are having.

As for performance mods....what exactly are you looking to do? I would start with some new tires myself. B)

Thanks for the response, I am planning on getting new tires, the rears are pretty low anyway so I'll prob do all four. Im thinking yokohama.

As for other performance mods, i saw all kinds of chips on ebay but i think they are just gimics and I dont think i want to do the usual intake/exhaust. I want to keep as close to stock as possible but just wanted to see if there are any minor tweaks i can do for a little more power.

Thanks for the response, I am planning on getting new tires, the rears are pretty low anyway so I'll prob do all four. Im thinking yokohama.

As for other performance mods, i saw all kinds of chips on ebay but i think they are just gimics and I dont think i want to do the usual intake/exhaust. I want to keep as close to stock as possible but just wanted to see if there are any minor tweaks i can do for a little more power.

You would be correct about the 'chips' available on e-bay.

Consider going to full synthetic fluids & a high flow air filter for starters. Specifically I would suggest an Amsoil Ea air filter. More info here...

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaa.aspx (you would need part # EAA205). IMO, these are better & less expensive than K & N's & the like. No need to re-oil either (so no risk to the MAF sensors) & just vacuum the filter once a year & reinstall.

Which Yokohama tires are you considering? Are you sticking with all seasons or will you go summer & winter combo's?

You would be correct about the 'chips' available on e-bay.

Consider going to full synthetic fluids & a high flow air filter for starters. Specifically I would suggest an Amsoil Ea air filter. More info here...

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaa.aspx (you would need part # EAA205). IMO, these are better & less expensive than K & N's & the like. No need to re-oil either (so no risk to the MAF sensors) & just vacuum the filter once a year & reinstall.

Which Yokohama tires are you considering? Are you sticking with all seasons or will you go summer & winter combo's?

I am still considering synthetic fluids and I was going to put in a K&N so your information on the amsoil filters is much appreciated. I will probably do that soon. Im going to go with all seasons, the Avid H4s are $74 a piece on tire rack and I'll install and balance them myself so they're affordable, good tires for my application.

Thanks again, I just need that info on my o2 sensor/cat issues. If i dont get any response, I can go to my shop and look it up on alldata, but the owner is not too happy with me so I'll have to go afterhours once he and the tech's leave.

K&N are poor in my eyes, as I have stated for years. Unless you are racing the car, more flow is BS.

Over oil you WILL have issues with sensors. Under oil you WILL have high wear properties in oil...There is a fine line and most people do not come close.

There are many sensors you can buy some are direct fit and others you need to solder etc. Up to you...I like denso but that is me.

K&N are poor in my eyes, as I have stated for years. Unless you are racing the car, more flow is BS.

Over oil you WILL have issues with sensors. Under oil you WILL have high wear properties in oil...There is a fine line and most people do not come close.

There are many sensors you can buy some are direct fit and others you need to solder etc. Up to you...I like denso but that is me.

I understand that there are different brands and types of sensors, but are they universal for all three sensors on this car, or is there a specific one for S1 B1. I'll most likely go with the Denso.