How To Replace Tail Light Bulb?

VBdenny

Denny,

The manual warns to first disconnect the battery, wait 90 seconds, then remove the trunk trim pieces to get access to the mounting bolts for the light assy. Same basic procedure for the combination light or the tail light assy. The manual says there are two bolts holding in the combination light assy and five nuts holding in the tail light assy. Looks like there is no way to replace the bulbs without removing the assy from the car. Not your usual American mfg car access, for sure. As for the need to disconnect the battery first, who knows. On the 93, there is a light failure sensor that should warn you of a bad bulb. Don't know if the warning light will reset automatically after you change the bulb or not. I would hope so. I am just thinking about the airbag light that will come on if you disconnect the instrument cluster without disconnecting the battery first. The airbag light will not reset when you plug the instrument cluster in and it a rather difficult procedure to get it to turn off. Good luck.

Curt

Thanks Curt,

As I suspected, it requires removal of the whole assembly. Lexus usually makes sure to really put things together. I didn't know about disconnecting the battery so I will be sure to do that. The "bulb out" indicator is illuminated, but I'm fairly certain it will reset automatically since the bulb is intermittant and sometimes works and the indicator goes off. No biggie, I can figure it out. I'll jump on that this week after my family heads off.

A far cry from the old days where you removed a couple of Phillips screws and put in a new bulb.

Denny

I wouldn't pull off the battery cable at all. Just disconnect the tail light fuse from the compartment instead. The idea of disconnect the battery cable is to protect the circuit from shorting. If the tail light is the problem then just disconnect the fuse of tail light that will kill the power that supplies to tail light.

Battery cable is only use when it's neccessary, only if you want the entire car's computer to re-learn everything again.

Denny,

You didn't specify decklid tailight or fender taillight. No need to disconnect battery unless taillight is on and the indicator light will go off when you replace the bulb (no reset necessary). Decklid- open the access cover, remove 2 phillips screws, pop out light assembly to get to the bulbs. Fender- remove the trunk liner in the back corner (by toolkit compartment or opposite side), remove 2-10mm bolts, release 2 snap pins on the side (bump with hand), take the assembly loose (1/4 turn counterclockwise), and you have access to the bulbs. Hope this helps! Ann and Wayne