Just Complaining About The Cost Of Text Books...

Rya

I ordered my Finance text book from Amazon.com - through a private seller. The book was supposed to be here 2 days ago - I had paid for expedited shipping. The total cost was $117. I've contacted the seller twice - no response & no book yet. Sooo, I had to go to my school's main campus today - 1 hour away & buy the book at full cost - $173!! I have to have 2 chapters read & homework by Wednesday night & couldn't wait any longer. What makes this book $173?? Is it the knowledge I'm gaining? This had better be good..... :cries:

Pay $173 for something that can earn you that amount by your morning coffee brake... pretty good investment if you ask me :cheers:

In my opinion, you can never spend too much on books like that. Now, you can easily spend too much on the instructor, and the little license plate cover in 4 years. But the books? Worth 40000 times what you'll pay.

I've met some of the smartest dumbasses on earth. Folks so blinded by their education, that they're completely irrelevant in the process of which they've spent 6 figures on. Yet, the community college kid, who spent a few thousand to learn from the same text book, knows what he/she is doing, because failure doesn't have a backup plan. Just remember one thing... the formulas in that text book are no different if taught in Harvard, or Abooboo U in Abooboo, Uterkreanizastan.

Pay $173 for something that can earn you that amount by your morning coffee brake... pretty good investment if you ask me :cheers:

In my opinion, you can never spend too much on books like that. Now, you can easily spend too much on the instructor, and the little license plate cover in 4 years. But the books? Worth 40000 times what you'll pay.

I've met some of the smartest dumbasses on earth. Folks so blinded by their education, that they're completely irrelevant in the process of which they've spent 6 figures on. Yet, the community college kid, who spent a few thousand to learn from the same text book, knows what he/she is doing, because failure doesn't have a backup plan. Just remember one thing... the formulas in that text book are no different if taught in Harvard, or Abooboo U in Abooboo, Uterkreanizastan.

Ok, ok, you're right. So far my instructor is GREAT!! He's funny and a former VP from Land-O-Lakes - I'm going to learn a lot from him (I'm in the MBA program). While I'm not going to Harvard, I am going to a very good school (# 53 in the region according to US News & World reports school list for 2007 & 2008). Gotta go.... homework is calling. :)

I've dropped more than $200 each on a number of very technical options market books over the years and would gladly pay four times that for what I've earned in options trading as a result of some of the techniques I've gleaned from them. I regularly consult one particular book that I purchased about four years ago for recognizing signals on when to get in and out of specific trades based on how the candlestick charts are setting up every 5 to 10 minutes during market hours. What I learned from this book alone netted me the disposable cash I used last January to write the check for my wife's current RX. A pretty damned good investment (the book, NOT the vehicle), I'd say....

Comprehensive, well-written financial books are worth whatever the market charges. Quit whinin' and get back to studyin'....

Just remember this little slogan, which got me through the accounting balance sheet stuff:

R.O.L the CREDITS

DEBIT the D.E.A.