92 Sc 400 Sound System

peterso44

Really great site, got what I needed to know on replacing taillight bulbs, However my soud system just went out and the atenna is still in the up position. Any ideas on the cause. By the way the site also conviced me to do all the maint on my 92 sc 400 timing belt, water pump, plugs wires and the list goes on but I got it done at a Toyota dealer for only 1510. Thanks for any help with my soud system problem.

Really great site, got what I needed to know on replacing taillight bulbs, However my soud system just went out and the atenna is still in the up position. Any ideas on the cause. By the way the site also conviced me to do all the maint on my 92 sc 400 timing belt, water pump, plugs wires and the list goes on but I got it done at a Toyota dealer for only 1510. Thanks for any help with my soud system problem.

I have also just bought a 1992 SC400. The antenna problem is the same as mine. Its in the up position. When you turn the radio on and not the cd the antenna is supposed to come up. Do you hear the motor running? If not, the motor is out. If you can, you simply need to replace the antenna mask. To replace this, you need to twist the antenna cap, its around the antenna itself. Twist it to the left, to loosen and vise versa to tighten. Be careful around the paint, dont let the screwdriver slip. You may want to try and use needle nose pliers. Once this is loosen, pull the antenna out very slowly and carefully. If you see the antenna tip shorter than normal or broke off weird, then you will have to remove the whole entire antenna assembly inside the trunk, and tear the anenna apart from the inside. Its not hard.. Take your time.. If this has happened the antenna has broken off inside of it and you need to take it out manually, so the new antenna will go all the way in on install.. It should work perferct after this.. You will need someone to turn the radio on and off for you so one of you can feed the antenna in.. It may take a couple of times for this to happen, if it does not work the first time.

About the no sound can you be more precise? O hope this info helps you..

I too have a couple questions concering the stereo system in my '92 Lexus SC400. The factory stereo, when turned on, has lost a lot of its output, meaning that i have to turn the volume knob all the way loud and you can barely here the audio. Its done this a couple times since ive had the car (2 months) and it would work later just fine. Now its become permanent, for 2 days straight now and ive tried everything. Shut the car off and crank it back on. My antenna works fine as far as i can tell. ive even takin the volume knob off too to make sure it was in line right. It cant be the speakers going out as when i turn it all the way up although you can barely hear it, i toggle with the balance and fade and get up close to each one and they all work and it would also be too much of a coincedence for all 4 to go out at the sametime anyway. Im not too worried about the factory as i bought a double din in dash dvd player to replace it BUT im concerned that this might not be a problem with the factory deck but maybe something behind the dash, any help guys it would be much appreciated! Another quick question, do i need a wiring harness to install my aftermarket deck, if so where can i find one at as best buy and circuit city couldnt get a dash kit for it (which is why i went with the double din aftermarket) so im thinking they cant get the harness either or is it even needed? If it is someone please show me where i can get it at once again my model is a '92 SC400! Thanx all!!!

• 1 month later...
I too have a couple questions concering the stereo system in my '92 Lexus SC400. The factory stereo, when turned on, has lost a lot of its output, meaning that i have to turn the volume knob all the way loud and you can barely here the audio. Its done this a couple times since ive had the car (2 months) and it would work later just fine. Now its become permanent, for 2 days straight now and ive tried everything. Shut the car off and crank it back on. My antenna works fine as far as i can tell. ive even takin the volume knob off too to make sure it was in line right. It cant be the speakers going out as when i turn it all the way up although you can barely hear it, i toggle with the balance and fade and get up close to each one and they all work and it would also be too much of a coincedence for all 4 to go out at the sametime anyway. Im not too worried about the factory as i bought a double din in dash dvd player to replace it BUT im concerned that this might not be a problem with the factory deck but maybe something behind the dash, any help guys it would be much appreciated! Another quick question, do i need a wiring harness to install my aftermarket deck, if so where can i find one at as best buy and circuit city couldnt get a dash kit for it (which is why i went with the double din aftermarket) so im thinking they cant get the harness either or is it even needed? If it is someone please show me where i can get it at once again my model is a '92 SC400! Thanx all!!!

I have the same issue. did you resolve your issue?

I have the same issue. did you resolve your issue?

My radio just started the same thing.