Weak Jack?

Had a flat tire tonight on date night. After scrambling to find the wheel lock, I started jacking up the car. It was tough with the crappy jack they gave us.

Finally got the car up high enough to take the flat tire off. Tried to get the spare on, but the car wasn't up high enough. SO I tried to turn the jack some more and it collapsed and the car fell backwards (slightly uphill!) onto the rotor!

Tried to jack it up again and it fell again! Then I noticed that the center spiral was bent as was the little handle they have you spinning the jack with.

Roadside assistance was on their way by this point and they had to really muscle their floor jack to get the front of the car up high enough to get the tire on (like higher than the scissor jack could have ever gotten). Goes into the shop tomorrow (we were able to drive it home).

So for those of you with 4wd RX400h, be careful if you have to use the stock jack to lift the front of your car up. Hopefully nothing major is wrong...

Wow ... sorry to hear that. I've use ours to rotate tires (jack ... block, then jack the other end) on a couple occasions and never had an issue. Even used an impact to zoom it up in a speedy fashion. You DID place the jack in the proper place? ... acording to the directions? If not, it's at your own peril ... and in such a case, I can see that kind of stuff happening. If the jack's out of position, it would go horribly wrong.

PS, it's a good idea to put a 12" by 12" (or similarly) sized piece of 3/4" plywood in the back too, for use under the jack as a stable platform. That way if you're on soft ground, you won't end up sinking right when you have the tire off.

got the car back today. Nothing damaged other than the dust shield. The service manager said that this isn't the first time that this has happened and that Lexus gives the same wimpy jack to everyone... they expect you to use roadside assistance :)

In any case, everything's fine now, but just be careful...

(and yes, I did have the jack in the right place -- even if I didn't why would the jack break, bending the center screw? Scissor jacks are worthless unless you're jacking up a civic IMO).

That is hard to believe.

IT'S FRIGGIN' DANGEROUS!!! What the Hell were they thinking?:chairshot:

After reading that I'll never try to use the friggin' thing!

I'd file a complaint with the NHTSA. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Well what's even better is the replacement jack they gave us is rated for 1100 kilos. Our vehicle is over 4000lbs!!!

It's my wife's car and she's going to call on Monday and get that situation handled. What would happen if we were in the middle of nowhere and couldn't get roadside assistance?

Well what's even better is the replacement jack they gave us is rated for 1100 kilos. Our vehicle is over 4000lbs!!!

When you use the jack are you lifting the entire car up or one corner with only a few hundred pounds?

The reason it fell over is because the car was not balanced. So after the first time it fell down it bent the jack as the car was slipping back.

You have to block the wheels if you are on an angle to stop the car from moving or of course it is going to bend the jack and keep falling down.

It was no surprise that the car fell down as you watched it slowly move and the jack bend each turn of the handle.

I have destroyed mine doing the same thing , so i know what it looks like and why it happens . I was too lazy to do it properly and the car dropped as it kept rolling back .

Come on now....... stop trying to blame someone else for your own mistake.

When you use the jack are you lifting the entire car up or one corner with only a few hundred pounds?

The reason it fell over is because the car was not balanced. So after the first time it fell down it bent the jack as the car was slipping back.

You have to block the wheels if you are on an angle to stop the car from moving or of course it is going to bend the jack and keep falling down.

It was no surprise that the car fell down as you watched it slowly move and the jack bend each turn of the handle.

I have destroyed mine doing the same thing , so i know what it looks like and why it happens . I was too lazy to do it properly and the car dropped as it kept rolling back .

You have NO idea what you are talking about.

ETA: When you are jacking up the front end of the hybrid, you are jacking up a LOT of weight. Also you have to move the car up rediculously high to get our big as tires up there. There is no way that a scissor jack rated at 1100kg was going to get the car up high enough when a 3 ton floor jack had to be raised high enough that the guy had to put his whole weight into it!

I put the jack in the right place with the parking brake on (this was actually the first thing the response guy checked and he said it was in the right place). I don't carry chocks, do you? Didn't think so. In any case, the car shifted UPHILL as the jack collapsed. If anything I would have chocked it so it didn't shift DOWNHILL so they wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference. It was also 10pm and dark, so if the jack WAS bending there was NO way I was going to see it. And if I did see it bending WHAT THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO?

In any case, I've been working on cars for a LONG time, and I know what the hell I'm doing and have changed more tires in my life than I care to think about.

And I certainly feel sorry for your car if those are real pictures of it in your sig. I like a nice custom, but that just looks silly. Each to their own I guess.

Hmm, somebody struck a nerve. :lol:

A few random thoughts from my aging brain:

1. A jack rated at 2425 lbs is more than adequate to lift one wheel of an RX if properly positioned.

2. Jacking a car in the dark on a surface that is not level is foolish. Drive to a more appropriate and safer place, even if you risk damaging the tire. Or call Roadside which is FREE.

3. The type of jack, scissor or floor, has nothing to with lifting height.

4. I changed a flat tire on my RX, using the scissor jack by choice over my floor jack, just to learn how to use it should the need arise. I had no particular difficulty lifting a front wheel high enough to do the work. Of course my scissor jack wasn't sitting in the dark on soft dirt so it probably functioned as designed.

5. I'm guessing that goofygrin was driving daddy's car for date night. Just a hunch.

Tom

goofy i do have an idea of what i am talking about. A scissor jack is not the best but it saves space.

If i cannot clearly see what i am doing then i don't think i should be doing it. Besides doesn't the manual mention about the car being level with parking brake and car in park? Actually i do carry wheel chocks they are yellow plastic for $4 and sit beside the spare tire on the curve so i loose no room , you know ,just in case..

BTW I like my car and that is all that matters to me , besides how much weight is that opinion from a guy who can't use his own jack. LMAO

As others said, 2420 is plenty to lift one corner of a 400h.

BTW, I've had way worse jacks than our scissor jacks.

But still, if the service guy said he's seen it happen before, that's not good.

goofy i do have an idea of what i am talking about. A scissor jack is not the best but it saves space.

If i cannot clearly see what i am doing then i don't think i should be doing it. Besides doesn't the manual mention about the car being level with parking brake and car in park? Actually i do carry wheel chocks they are yellow plastic for $4 and sit beside the spare tire on the curve so i loose no room , you know ,just in case..

BTW I like my car and that is all that matters to me , besides how much weight is that opinion from a guy who can't use his own jack. LMAO

SK, where did you buy your chocks?

Tom

There is a place called princess auto who sell them in Canada. I know i have seen them at wal mart as well.

Conspicuously absent is an invitation to Canada, so I'll check out Walmart. :)

Tom

5. I'm guessing that goofygrin was driving daddy's car for date night. Just a hunch.

LOL- I was gonna say that he wasn't paying attention in high school physics, but he may not have gotten to that class yet. <_<

Dude, Goofygrin, you're not lifting up the WHOLE car to change the flat (or if you are, you've got bigger problems than a scissor jack). Go pull up the corner of your mattress with one hand. Does that feel like you're lifting the weight of the whole mattress?

Your 100% correct on the blame someone else comment.

Hmm, somebody struck a nerve. :lol:

A few random thoughts from my aging brain:

1. A jack rated at 2425 lbs is more than adequate to lift one wheel of an RX if properly positioned.

2. Jacking a car in the dark on a surface that is not level is foolish. Drive to a more appropriate and safer place, even if you risk damaging the tire. Or call Roadside which is FREE.

3. The type of jack, scissor or floor, has nothing to with lifting height.

4. I changed a flat tire on my RX, using the scissor jack by choice over my floor jack, just to learn how to use it should the need arise. I had no particular difficulty lifting a front wheel high enough to do the work. Of course my scissor jack wasn't sitting in the dark on soft dirt so it probably functioned as designed.

Tom

You are correct, the jack rated at 2425 lbs is more than adequate to lift one wheel of the RX400h, LOL on the line #5 date comment.

I think this is a situation of improper jack use. Did you set the parking brake?

My dad and I (well my Dad, he won't listen to anyone) had his 98 LS fall off the jack when he had it once (luckily the spare was already on) but he neglected to set the parking brake.

I put the jack in the right place with the parking brake on (this was actually the first thing the response guy checked and he said it was in the right place). I don't carry chocks, do you? Didn't think so. In any case, the car shifted UPHILL as the jack collapsed. If anything I would have chocked it so it didn't shift DOWNHILL so they wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference. It was also 10pm and dark, so if the jack WAS bending there was NO way I was going to see it. And if I did see it bending WHAT THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO?

• 2 weeks later...

Lightweight, portable chocks are a terrific safety item, and I wouldn't be without them. In the light aviation world we all carry them to use when we park because, among other things, you can't "leave it in gear' or Park. Try Sporty's Pilot shop (www.sportys.com) which carries 5 different sets of chocks. I like the wood "load-spreader" suggestion as well; I've had a jack sink into my asphalt driveway on a hot day.

The chock is a good idea!

I just had my first flat on my new 400h. (at only 1500 miles too!)

I had no problem with the jack but after noticing this thread I was

careful. I did notice that the width of the jack at the base might be an issue

if the vehicle shifts a little when jacking it up. Setting the break securely and or

using a chock is a real good idea. Basic safety.

/Steve