Battery Isolator

deathlok0000

Hello! I installed a very nice sound system in my 05 is300 but then i noticed that the lights would dim every time the subs would bump. So I set out to solve that problem with a optima yellow top battery and a battery isolator kit. Here is where the problems began. After installing the kit it did not work at all. As soon as i turned on the car my battery light went on, and so I proceeded to check everything. My tests reviled that the isolator was not getting any juice from the alternator. I am completely lost because I followed the instructions that came with the isolator and it did not work. What am I supposed to do? Can any one help me?

Thanks in advance.

Who told you to put a battery isolator kit on the car? I'm confused. Are you running 2 batteries?

A battery isolator kit makes it so the alternator can charge both batteries seperately , and one low battery doesn't drain the other battery. So I guess if your running 2 batteries than you do need a battery isolator kit, but you never mentioned that.

If your only running one battery, then what you need is a capacitor. Basically it charges up and stores extra reserves of power for quick and high power draws like a bass system. If your really pushing alot of watts, then you may need to go to a larger alternator, and also get a good sized capacitor.

Who told you to put a battery isolator kit on the car? I'm confused. Are you running 2 batteries?

A battery isolator kit makes it so the alternator can charge both batteries seperately , and one low battery doesn't drain the other battery. So I guess if your running 2 batteries than you do need a battery isolator kit, but you never mentioned that.

If your only running one battery, then what you need is a capacitor. Basically it charges up and stores extra reserves of power for quick and high power draws like a bass system. If your really pushing alot of watts, then you may need to go to a larger alternator, and also get a good sized capacitor.

Hey I had a capacitor and everytime I would go past 25 on my volume the lights would not only dim but the cap would drain and it would beep annoyingly. So I figured I would install a second battery to run my sound system. And thats where I hit my problem with the isolator. I am running 2 JL Audio 15W3V2-D4 with an MA Audio 1600 Watt 2 channel amp and also 4 6.5" 280 Watt Kenwood Speakers with 2 170 Watt Tweeters and to power that I have a 800 Watt 4 channel Kenwood amp.

You need a bigger alternator, keep the capacitor on and use the isolator. The system is draining faster than the alternator can recharge it.

Hey ok well i dont think i need a new alt. because i checked the power out puts and when i connect the isolator the alt. is not puting out any juice. it barely gives off 1 volt. its like it knows that its not connected to the battery. do you think conneting the alt. cable for the isolator to the positive terminal on my stock battery is a good ideas?

thanks for your time

Then your not connecting something correctly. What kind of isolator are you using? A diode or relay/silenoid? And how do you have the other battery connected to the car? I don't think it's the isolator, I think it may be how you have the battery wired in.

Usually the alternator cable goes to the isolater, and then the outputs of the isolator go to the two different batteries. One battery for the starter and car and the other for your accesories ie stereo or aux components. the isolator prevents the aux or second battery components from draining the first battery so you can always start the car. I have had both types on motorhomes. the solenoid type and the solid state type. Both work fine, last a long time and wont rot your teeth.