Ls400 Won't Start

flbob

97 LS400, brand new to me (1 week tomorrow) 133,999 miles but in near perfect shape - went out to get some pizza and it won't run. Started and ran on fast idle for a few seconds and quit. Turns over good. I took key out and waited for 30 seconds or so and tried again -same thing.

Sounds a little like the problem another poster (Kamana) has. I'm thinking a fuel problem but don't know where to start - no manual yet - I'm assuming electric fuel pump, so I'll start looking for a fuse.

Any other suggestions? If it turns out to be a fuse - and a new one works, then what? Let it go and see what happens? We need this baby to be dependable.

Our Honda did start so got the pizza OK - yahoo!

Up date - Seems like it was the ignition key - I was using non-Lexus key provided by the previous owner - I was going to try something and when I open the door the alarm went off. Luckily I had the other keys with me and was able to deactivate the alarm with one of them.

Anyhow now our two Lexus keys seem to work fine - the non-L key turns in the ignition but sometimes when I try to start nothing happens, other times the engine turns but no start. The dash lights act differently also.

I'm going to junk the bad key, and get another but what should happen if I try using a bad key? All I've been able to find out is that the "starting system will be disabled". Does that mean the starter motor will not turn or that the starter will turn but something (fuel pump relay?) will keep the engine from starting?

I'm going to junk the bad key, and get another but what should happen if I try using a bad key? All I've been able to find out is that the "starting system will be disabled". Does that mean the starter motor will not turn or that the starter will turn but something (fuel pump relay?) will keep the engine from starting?

It will most likely be the anti theft ECU is preventing the engine from sparking up.

Yeah I tried gasssing it as it was die-ing, no help. I'm convinced it's the key/anti-theft connection.

The key looks like a Lexus but it has an ILCO insignia in the plastic part - I tkink ILCO is a big key blank manufacturer. Don't know how the previous owner got it - it was one of three he gave me - I'm guessing he kept it for a spare and never used it??