Ls400: Brakes, Bumps?

charles frenkel

I'm in the early stages of researching a used ls400 and I've seen some consumer reviews that point out "soft" or "spongy" breaks and the car's sensitivity to bumps in the road. Is this a general problem of ls400s in the 90s or of certain model years in the 90s? I was thinking of a $10K ceiling to a purchase (though not ready to buy just yet) and any repairs/replacements that may need to be done. That, more or less, constrains me to 1995 (or 1996) or older editions. If there are good reasons to consider a younger car than '95 or '96 for a couple thousand more, I'd be interested in hearing. Nice to join the forum.

Charles

I'm in the early stages of researching a used ls400 and I've seen some consumer reviews that point out "soft" or "spongy" breaks and the car's sensitivity to bumps in the road. Is this a general problem of ls400s in the 90s or of certain model years in the 90s? I was thinking of a $10K ceiling to a purchase (though not ready to buy just yet) and any repairs/replacements that may need to be done. That, more or less, constrains me to 1995 (or 1996) or older editions. If there are good reasons to consider a younger car than '95 or '96 for a couple thousand more, I'd be interested in hearing. Nice to join the forum.

Charles

Welcome to the board!

Check out the pinned threads at the top of our board, which show the typical things to look for, i.e. the ECU fault that causes a stall in a 95 or 96 which pulls up to lights after driving on freeways, etc.

I highly recommend you check out the LS generations at

http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

This gives the best low down on all the models and the specifications.

I have a 92 which I love dearly, and I just bought my wife a 98. The early cars have less gizmos and hence less to go wrong, but given their age now little things do go wrong!! (or else these boards would be fairly quiet). The later models have a better spec and performance, so get to know what flavour of LS you prefer, get to know its weaknesses, and hunt out a good one.

The search function on these boards is great for specific info on a topic.

Feel free to post questions, you are doing the right thing by researching first.

I've had a 94LS for 4 years, and my only problem with brakes is to match the rotors to the pads. After a lot of fumbling, I've found that Raybestos rotors and Raybestos ceramic pads pads provide a smooth, firm response for my pretty LS. Sure, they might not last as long as OEM's, but then again, I only drive about 5,000 miles a year, and they are peachy for me. The best thing is to be able to change out the brakes by yourself-It's simple once you have the tools, which are inexpensive. The worst thing is to walk into a Lexus dealer. They don't wear ski masks, but they'll get you for a bank robbery price regardless...

In my opinion, you should find a 93 or 94 with lowest miles and best shape possible. I am personally not a fan of the 95-96 body style and the interference motor. The T- belt breaks in the car, the motor is gone. Not so in a 93-94. Alot of car for the money, a nice one can be had for 5-8 grand.