Intake

jondao08

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the benefits of using a cold air intake over a short ram intake, or vice versa. I know they differ in the types of air they let flow through them, but what are the benefits of one or the other?

The short ram air is more about getting more air to the intake manifold using a ram effect, and the cold air intake is more about getting colder air to the intake manifold, as colder air contains more oxygen.

On paper both look like good ideas. the problem is that the shorter ram air usually has turbulance issues and can mess with the MAF.. And the CAI's are rarely true CAI's.But, you have to isolate the air inlet away from the heat of the motor, which usually means running air ducts to the front grill or side air intakes or something, And I generally see some divider thing they use that doesn't really help alot. So, usually the CAI's I see still pull air from the engine bay where it gets really hot. But the higher flow air filters they use still let you see an increase.

Remember, air FLOW is really the key. Good air flow in and out of the motor is what creates hp and tq.

the Typhoon system by K&N works well. The JoeZ system modifies your stock set up to be able to pull more air in effectively, I don't really think the short ram air intakes are the way to go for the IS300. Everyone I know that has gone that route has cel's coming up alot. The SRT intake gets you the biggest gain, but it comes with a piggy back ECU chip that you tap into your stock ECU. If your planning on doing alot of performance mods like exhaust and header, cam gears and the more, then I wouldn't reccomend going with that one, as your gonna need a tunable FIC to bring it all together anyway. So you'll just be wasting money.

LOL!!! Yeah, good point DC,,,, The most effective intake I have found is a Turbonetics 60-1 hybrid turbo system witha Spearco intercooler. Persicion, Garrett, and HKS make descent ones also! LOL!!! :rolleyes: