98 Gs300 Won't Stop With Key Out

A few times within the last year, after I shut the engine and pull out the key, the car still runs and takes a minute or two to shut off. It's really weird and little scary. I've got 114k on the car and it runs great except that it does burn oil. I have to add some every 1000 miles or so. Anybody have any idea what the problem might be?

No it doesn't operate normally without the key. It's sounds really weird liking the whole engine isn't on. The surpentine belt is turning and there is some exhaust thru the tail pipes but it won't shut down completely until about a minute or up to 5 minutes later. It's only happened about 4 times. Lexus said they cou'ldn't diagnose the problem unless they actually saw it happening. It's happens so rarely so far that I can't predict it.

Do you think it's related to the oil. As I said it does burn oil. About an extra quart a month. The last time it happened was this week. I overfilled it about a 1/4" on the dip stick.

No it doesn't operate normally without the key. It's sounds really weird liking the whole engine isn't on. The surpentine belt is turning and there is some exhaust thru the tail pipes but it won't shut down completely until about a minute or up to 5 minutes later. It's only happened about 4 times. Lexus said they cou'ldn't diagnose the problem unless they actually saw it happening. It's happens so rarely so far that I can't predict it.

Do you think it's related to the oil. As I said it does burn oil. About an extra quart a month. The last time it happened was this week. I overfilled it about a 1/4" on the dip stick.

Hey not to scare you but i had a 1999 black GS400 that did the same thing.... well except it never shut off. End up having to take the battery out. The next day i took it to the dealer and he said it had been in a flood. The salt water had started to get to some of the wires so it was causing some problems. Mind you i had just purchased this car on e-bay for ATL and did a carfax before i had it shipped to MD. Long story short, get it checked out by a dealer to make sure you don't have to go through what i did....

Hey not to scare you but i had a 1999 black GS400 that did the same thing.... well except it never shut off. End up having to take the battery out. The next day i took it to the dealer and he said it had been in a flood. The salt water had started to get to some of the wires so it was causing some problems. Mind you i had just purchased this car on e-bay for ATL and did a carfax before i had it shipped to MD. Long story short, get it checked out by a dealer to make sure you don't have to go through what i did....

The carfax didn't state the flood damage?

I've recently had a complete tune up. timing belt, etc,etc,. I am the original owner and the car has never been in a flood. It's been well maintained. Could you elaborated on what they did to fix the problem if you remember?

Thanks

The starter get the car going not stopping it , so it is not your starter causing the problem.

Sounds like a wiring or computer issue.

The key tells the computer which allows fuel and spark. SO some how you still have ignition and fuel going to atleast one cylinder .

I can only think a damaged ecu.