muddober

K&n Air Filter Can Mess Up Mass Air Sensor

oil from the new k&n air filter can coat the mass air sensor atracting dirt and fuzzies causing it to give fals readings. it caused the computer to give me vaccume leak warrnings witch also affected the the abs computer.

You must be putting too much oil on your filter because I've been using a K&N filter in my Lexus for a long time now with no problems whatsoever.

agreed , improper oiling of the filter from applying too much and not letting it drip dry as indicated in the instructions is the problem.

^^^ my guess.. u didnt oil ur filter right.. and u need to clean ur MAF anywayz... spray mass air cleaner on the lil leads like 5 times.. then stick it back in...

^^^ my guess.. u didnt oil ur filter right.. and u need to clean ur MAF anywayz... spray mass air cleaner on the lil leads like 5 times.. then stick it back in...

K&N sucks..Any filter you need to oil is poor. Why? I have stated for years it is a fine line and 99% of people do not do it correctly. Over oil will kill sensors (been there done that). Under oil, been there and you WILL have high (very high) wear numbers as shown per UOA. Plus unless you are racing the car, the increase in HP is marketing BS. So unless you test your oil, you have no idea on how it is working.

I've never had a K&N filter cause any harm to me. Just be careful when you're cleaning and re-oiling.

As for the power increase.. some cars it's noticeable, others it's mostly just noise, so stock or K&N, either way to all their own I say!

I switched from K & N to Amsoil Ea synthetic air filter....all you do is remove it, vacuum it out & re-install.....no oiling. B)

:cheers:

I switched from K & N to Amsoil Ea synthetic air filter....all you do is remove it, vacuum it out & re-install.....no oiling. B)

Bingo and filter WAY better per cap and eff ratings. It looks like Amsoil is got the market on oil filters and air filters currently.

Bingo and filter WAY better per cap and eff ratings. It looks like Amsoil is got the market on oil filters and air filters currently.

Funny thing.....my previous 2 vehicles (including my 2001 Lexus ES) had this air filter......I went to look up the one for my 2005 ES & they don't make it for the 2002 - 2005 ES models......figures! :angry::rolleyes:

K&N has never been provided any evidence of a MAF sensor being fouled by filter oil regardless of how much oil was used on the filter. We have tested over 100 MAF sensors allegedly harmed by filter oil and have yet to find any trace of filter oil on the sensors. What we did find was that 60% of the sensors in question were performing perfectly with no defect and had in fact been misdiagnosed. 18% of the sensors had complete electronic failures in no way due to contamination while 22% were out of tolerance. Again not a single one had a trace of filter oil on it. For more information on this issue and K&N’s consumer protection pledge go to http://knfilters.com/MAF/MAFTestresults.htm. K&N is proud to have complete quality control by doing our testing, development and manufacturing in the USA. Not only have we sold in excess of 20 million air filters worldwide but we continue to be used by many top racing teams including the winners of the 2007 Baja 1000 and Baja 500 (and the 2008 Daytona 500).

Sorry but I messed up sensors (air temp) in diesel engine (10X the air flow) with these oil glazed filters. Not worth the issues. Plus I know FORD will not honor any warranty issues when these types of filters (wet oil glazed cotton etc) installed. Warning labels all over; take that for face value.

In fact, I would use an Amsoil EaA air filter over any oil glazed filters. Cheaper, better eff/cap, no oiling ($$$), no wasting/cleaning ($$$$) etc. Heck I would take a paper over K&N.

I also just had problems with my K&N in my motorcycle. Trashed it and all better and that was at the dealership that has seen these issues before.

Thx "Lexusfreak".

I was doing research for several days to decide which brand air filter is best for my car without side effect in the long run.

I'm going to buy an AMSOIL air filter for my IS300.

Rather to be safe than SORRY right?!

I used to work in a test lab. As a personal project a couple of us did air flow and particulate capture testing on an early K&N air filter.

Since that time I have been using them in all my cars and aircraft which could be fitted with a K&N.

I find it difficult to accept that a MAF sensor could be trashed by oil contamination. Sensors and mechanisms in automotive applications are designed and tested to be functional in contaminated situations.

The biggest issue I can think of with the K&N filters is that owners probably do not clean them as often as they should. We are a disposable oriented society and PM is often not carefully practiced.