K&n Air Filter Can Mess Up Mass Air Sensor

muddober

^^^ my guess.. u didnt oil ur filter right.. and u need to clean ur MAF anywayz... spray mass air cleaner on the lil leads like 5 times.. then stick it back in...

K&N sucks..Any filter you need to oil is poor. Why? I have stated for years it is a fine line and 99% of people do not do it correctly. Over oil will kill sensors (been there done that). Under oil, been there and you WILL have high (very high) wear numbers as shown per UOA. Plus unless you are racing the car, the increase in HP is marketing BS. So unless you test your oil, you have no idea on how it is working.

I've never had a K&N filter cause any harm to me. Just be careful when you're cleaning and re-oiling.

As for the power increase.. some cars it's noticeable, others it's mostly just noise, so stock or K&N, either way to all their own I say!

I switched from K & N to Amsoil Ea synthetic air filter....all you do is remove it, vacuum it out & re-install.....no oiling. B)

:cheers:

Bingo and filter WAY better per cap and eff ratings. It looks like Amsoil is got the market on oil filters and air filters currently.

I switched from K & N to Amsoil Ea synthetic air filter....all you do is remove it, vacuum it out & re-install.....no oiling. B)

:cheers:

Bingo and filter WAY better per cap and eff ratings. It looks like Amsoil is got the market on oil filters and air filters currently.

Funny thing.....my previous 2 vehicles (including my 2001 Lexus ES) had this air filter......I went to look up the one for my 2005 ES & they don't make it for the 2002 - 2005 ES models......figures! :angry::rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

K&N has never been provided any evidence of a MAF sensor being fouled by filter oil regardless of how much oil was used on the filter. We have tested over 100 MAF sensors allegedly harmed by filter oil and have yet to find any trace of filter oil on the sensors. What we did find was that 60% of the sensors in question were performing perfectly with no defect and had in fact been misdiagnosed. 18% of the sensors had complete electronic failures in no way due to contamination while 22% were out of tolerance. Again not a single one had a trace of filter oil on it. For more information on this issue and K&N’s consumer protection pledge go to http://knfilters.com/MAF/MAFTestresults.htm. K&N is proud to have complete quality control by doing our testing, development and manufacturing in the USA. Not only have we sold in excess of 20 million air filters worldwide but we continue to be used by many top racing teams including the winners of the 2007 Baja 1000 and Baja 500 (and the 2008 Daytona 500).

Sorry but I messed up sensors (air temp) in diesel engine (10X the air flow) with these oil glazed filters. Not worth the issues. Plus I know FORD will not honor any warranty issues when these types of filters (wet oil glazed cotton etc) installed. Warning labels all over; take that for face value.

In fact, I would use an Amsoil EaA air filter over any oil glazed filters. Cheaper, better eff/cap, no oiling ($$$), no wasting/cleaning ($$$$) etc. Heck I would take a paper over K&N.

I also just had problems with my K&N in my motorcycle. Trashed it and all better and that was at the dealership that has seen these issues before.

• 3 years later...

Thx "Lexusfreak".

I was doing research for several days to decide which brand air filter is best for my car without side effect in the long run.

I'm going to buy an AMSOIL air filter for my IS300.

Rather to be safe than SORRY right?!

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I used to work in a test lab. As a personal project a couple of us did air flow and particulate capture testing on an early K&N air filter.

Since that time I have been using them in all my cars and aircraft which could be fitted with a K&N.

I find it difficult to accept that a MAF sensor could be trashed by oil contamination. Sensors and mechanisms in automotive applications are designed and tested to be functional in contaminated situations.

The biggest issue I can think of with the K&N filters is that owners probably do not clean them as often as they should. We are a disposable oriented society and PM is often not carefully practiced.

• 5 years later...
On 2/5/2008 at 11:43 AM, mburnickas said:

Pull a UOA then tell me that.

Why on earth do people  have to be so damn rude and know everything  about everything. Chances are you googled it and never turned a wrench your entire life but here we are with you running your big egotistical mouth. The guy just needed help. A little kindness. Just like in sure you have had to have yet you couldn't resist putting someone  down. Acting  as if your the smartest person on the planet. Unwind a little. Get a girlfriend. Gzzz, it is not that serious that you have to wonder around looking  through  forums to prove  to everyone your the genius of the car world. Who has that much time? Definitely not a person worth their salt which has a job. You were being a jerk and if someone  had said the same things to you we would all set here and listen to you wine for a half hour. 

Just leave people  be if you dont have nice things to say. There is no reason for this. This is ridiculous. Something  a child would do. I dont think your a child. I think your heart was in a good place but it came out all wrong. Put those shoes on the other foot. How would  you have liked this response  to you. You wouldn't have. Nobody would. While I'm sure they appreciate  your help  it likely fell on deaf ears as usually  people  don't like having someone  be rude to them and even if its good advice , which it was, they don't want to listen to it. Now I'm sure you'll say this or that to me and im sure it'll be rude too. It dont matter. Ill never see it. I dont really  care. But its easy to do all that to people  who don't know you or whom your not infront of. Easy to do that online like most everyone  else does these days. This type of behavior is what has divided us to a point we are loosing  our country. Why, because  people  just can't be curious anymore. 

You never know who you might be talking  to on the other end. That person could  be very wealthy inside a forum trying  to see someone  helping others out so they can donate to them out if good will. To give some cash to someone  trying  to make a difference for people  they don't know but are trying  to help anyway. Boy, that would suck if someone  was here to make someone  a millionaire today and it could have been you. Not saying  thats it at all but maybe it was. Maybe it shouldn't  take money to get people  to treat others good. But maybe I'm just trying  to reward  a good soul out there that has been anyway for absolutely  no reason. 

With you ill pass and you'll think I'm just talking  crazy right now. Well thats what you'd think. When I'm done theyll post it up here for people  to see. 

Thanks for your time 

Please  treat your fellow man better.