Ls'92 Strange Vibration At Speed :))

andre

lexus '92 263k

when I'm driving around the city it's ok,

but when I get up to around 80-100klm/h I start to feel under the car a strange vibration at steady speed

and when I start to brake it isn't smooth as it was before.

while at the speed I did put tranny in neutral and switched engine of and the vibes were still on- so it's not the engine

- first I was thinking it was the engine runnig on 6 cylinders or misfiring...

any ideas???

lexus '92 263k

but when I get up to around 80-100klm/h I start to feel under the car a strange vibration at steady speed

while at the speed I did put tranny in neutral and switched engine of and the vibes were still on- so it's not the engine

any ideas???

Driveline u-joints.

lexus '92 263k

any ideas???

You may have bad wheel bearings, I am pretty sure!

lexus '92 263k

any ideas???

You may have bad wheel bearings, I am pretty sure!

Bad, failing wheel bearings almost always come with a definite accompanying noise. Generally front/rear/side.

Whereas bad roller bearings in the driveline u-joints more commonly result in a "neutating" rotational, unbalanced, effect of the drive shaft.

If you rest your hand lightly on the shifter do you feel the vibration..??

yes, the shifter vibrates at the same time

If you suddenly give more gas, before the car had a chance to accelerate significantly, does the shifter vibrate more? If so, I'm 99.9% sure its U-joints.

If you feel the vibration is coming from under the seat, have the brake rotors looked at. I recently changed the 4 rotors discs and all vibrations are gone.

yes, the shifter vibrates at the same time

If you suddenly give more gas, before the car had a chance to accelerate significantly, does the shifter vibrate more? If so, I'm 99.9% sure its U-joints.

If you feel the vibration is coming from under the seat, have the brake rotors looked at. I recently changed the 4 rotors discs and all vibrations are gone.

Vibration from "early" brake/rotor problems generally exhibits the most with light braking at moderate speeds, 35-45 MPH.

the most annoying thing is that this vibration doesn't happen all the time

( when it happens it gets scarry to go fast at more than 80-100klm/h)

and once when i wanted to show this to someone it didn't happened :(

it isn't a constant thing - it comes and goes

i'm going to see some mechanics on monday -w'll let you know...

This is my first post. I have a 94 ls400 with 165000 miles. It has developed a distinct vibration when driving at speeds over 70 mi/hr. It is predominately felt in the steering column, but also to a lesser degree in the front seats. It seems to be speed related only. Doesn't happen at lower speeds or while braking and still ocurrs with trans in neutral.

I took it for diagnostic and mechanic said ball joints were worn. In research, failing ball joints are not associated with speed related steering vibration. Can anyone shed any light for me on this? Would appreciate it very much.

This is my first post. I have a 94 ls400 with 165000 miles. It has developed a distinct vibration when driving at speeds over 70 mi/hr. It is predominately felt in the steering column, but also to a lesser degree in the front seats. It seems to be speed related only. Doesn't happen at lower speeds or while braking and still ocurrs with trans in neutral.

I took it for diagnostic and mechanic said ball joints were worn. In research, failing ball joints are not associated with speed related steering vibration. Can anyone shed any light for me on this? Would appreciate it very much.

And if you rest your hand lightly on the shifter...?

Is the stearing wheel vibration rotational or....?

one of the tires had flat spot,

rebalanced all wheels,

still vibrates :(

on thursday will go to a toyota service dep...

my new worry is klicking sound coming from my steering wheel (shaft) when i turn it side to side,

and there is very strange feeling as if the power steering was working only for half a turn each way and then meets some resistance in turning :(

wat is it???

the tire had a flat spot ...

rebalanced -went to the left rear...

vibs still happens

BUT,

driving slowly in the traffic is almost no vibs,

but left caliper gets hot at speed and this probaly starts the vibration...

all other calipers are cold after fast drive

could be warped disc or problem with the caliper...

the above plus the power steering problem will be check at toyota srevice on friday

came back from the mechanics,

the verdict : warped disc...

thats why it was getting hot and at highier speed it started to expand and vibrate.

i can drive like an old !Removed! at max 70-80 klm/hr and nobody would know there is any problem with left disc (rotor)...

thats why it was getting hot and at highier speed it started to expand and vibrate.

i can drive like an old !Removed! at max 70-80 klm/hr and nobody would know there is any problem with left disc (rotor)...

You can confirm a warped disc by applying the brakes.......you will feel a

pulsation at lower speeds which tranlsates to a vibration at higher

speeds because the frequency of the pulsation increases with speed. The

more pressure you apply - the more pronounced the pulsation/vibratiion.

but left caliper gets hot at speed

Indicates a seizing caliper. Would have that serviced without delay. Don't compromise on your braking.

If I rest my hand lightly on the shifter, there is no significant vibration. Not sure what you mean by steering wheel vibration rotational. It vibrates wheter or not I turn the wheel, of course at 70 mph, not turning the wheel that mcuh. If you mean does it come from rotation of tires, not sure. Could be steering parts. No clunking as I go over bumps...so thinking maybe not ball joints.

How strange... my vibration is between 35-50 mph and worse the colder it is outside. Its terrible at 39-41 mph, just as it was on my 1990 LS. I feel most vibration through the steering wheel and very little on the shifter. Same vibration at any engine RPM and even if its in neutral. Its like a rotational vibration... it comes and goes within 1/2 second intervals.

Lexus tech told me it was a bad tire... they are 5 years old, so it would not suprise me, but the tread is still excellent. I am going to replace them soon... at least the two.

I know its very annoying.

How strange... my vibration is between 35-50 mph and worse the colder it is outside. Its terrible at 39-41 mph, just as it was on my 1990 LS. I feel most vibration through the steering wheel and very little on the shifter. Same vibration at any engine RPM and even if its in neutral. Its like a rotational vibration... it comes and goes within 1/2 second intervals.

Lexus tech told me it was a bad tire... they are 5 years old, so it would not suprise me, but the tread is still excellent. I am going to replace them soon... at least the two.

I know its very annoying.

"1/2 second interval"...

That would seemingly indicate a rotational function that "wonders" in and out of synchronization...

That might result from slightly different tire circumference L/R.

Front halfshaft CV's for FWD.

Rear drive axle CV's for RWD.

Or even L/R or R/L tires.

Does the vibration lessen with slight left or right turn....long sweeping curve..??

Indicates a seizing caliper. Would have that serviced without delay. Don't compromise on your braking.

my left disc gets very hot and as a result the caliper gets hot as well.

while im driving bellow 70-80klm/h there is no vibrations almost at all, as well not on the steering wheel,

and if i didnt drive any faster then 70-80klm/h, then i wouldnt know there is any problem..

maybe it could be the caliper???

my left disc gets very hot and as a result the caliper gets hot as well.

while im driving bellow 70-80klm/h there is no vibrations almost at all, as well not on the steering wheel,

and if i didnt drive any faster then 70-80klm/h, then i wouldnt know there is any problem..

maybe it could be the caliper???

"maybe it could be the caliper???"

No, much more likely you have two separate problems, a stuck caliper and a bad u-joint. Or maybe a rear drive shaft CV joint is failing.

"maybe it could be the caliper???"

No, much more likely you have two separate problems, a stuck caliper and a bad u-joint. Or maybe a rear drive shaft CV joint is failing.

why would front left disc get hot if i had rear drive shaft CV joint problem???

-maybe it's stuck caliper?

will see the mechanics again on next monday...