Change Run Flat Tires To Traditional Tires

I bought an LS460L and it came with Bridgestone Turanza EL42 18 inch tires, they are CRAP!

They have no traction, vibrate and make way too much noise. One tire craked and was about to blowup before I spoted the crack.

In the rain they are scary, no traction at all.

I went to the Westside Lexus dealer and they BS me to death and gave me the run around.

I called Bridgestone, they gave the run around too.

What can I do?

Tony

Does anyone know if we can use traditiional tires on those rims? Or have to use RFT?

I just recently bought a GS460. With run-flats having a reputation for repair problems, high cost, quickly wearing out, and rough ride, I asked my dealer to swap out the Dunlops for regular Michlein P/S tires on the same rims. He even threw in the doughnut spare. I'm very happy with the results. It's probably too late to ask your dealer to swap yours, but maybe you could find a buyer for your run-flats and bite the bullet for the extra cost of a new set of regulars, knowing you probably have saved money in the long run -- plus get a smoother ride, fewer flats, and a longer lasting tire.

In my opinion, run-flats are not yet ready for prime-time. The technology is not quite there yet. They've been pushed onto consumers my manufacturers attempting to save weight, space, and improve average gas mileage (by removing the spare) to meet government mandates -- while trying to convince consumers that they should feel more secure, but failing to point out the negative factors. Actually the idea of driving 50 miles on a tire that will probably get destroyed and not being able to find a shop with the equipment to repair or replace it doesn't make me feel any more secure.

I bought an LS460L and it came with Bridgestone Turanza EL42 18 inch tires, they are CRAP!

They have no traction, vibrate and make way too much noise. One tire craked and was about to blowup before I spoted the crack.

In the rain they are scary, no traction at all.

I went to the Westside Lexus dealer and they BS me to death and gave me the run around.

I called Bridgestone, they gave the run around too.

What can I do?

Tony

Does anyone know if we can use traditiional tires on those rims? Or have to use RFT?

I just recently bought a GS460. With run-flats having a reputation for repair problems, high cost, quickly wearing out, and rough ride, I asked my dealer to swap out the Dunlops for regular Michlein P/S tires on the same rims. He even threw in the doughnut spare. I'm very happy with the results. It's probably too late to ask your dealer to swap yours, but maybe you could find a buyer for your run-flats and bite the bullet for the extra cost of a new set of regulars, knowing you probably have saved money in the long run -- plus get a smoother ride, fewer flats, and a longer lasting tire.

In my opinion, run-flats are not yet ready for prime-time. The technology is not quite there yet. They've been pushed onto consumers my manufacturers attempting to save weight, space, and improve average gas mileage (by removing the spare) to meet government mandates -- while trying to convince consumers that they should feel more secure, but failing to point out the negative factors. Actually the idea of driving 50 miles on a tire that will probably get destroyed and not being able to find a shop with the equipment to repair or replace it doesn't make me feel any more secure.

How many miles on the car/tires? Is is too late to cancel the sale of the Ls (or at least threaten too?).

Those tires are crap. Keep complaining to your Lexus dealership and to Lexus customer service.

See if they will swap out the tires, at least meet you half way on a set of decent shoes.

If not, bite the bullet, spend some good money on a decent set of tires. Sell the crap Bridgestones on eBay cheap so you recoop some money.

steviej

Had Dunlop runflats on my 06 GS430. They rode very harsh and wore out on the inside after 18K miles and I

don't drive aggressively at all. Dealer just said "they all wear out like that". They were terrible in snow, almost undriveable.

Replaced them with Continental ContiExtremeContact All-Season Hi-Po tires, what a major improvement! Quiet, great traction, and pretty cheap compared to others. Just drove in the snow this morning and they handled almost as good as my winter set (Hankook Icebear). I would highly recommend the Conti's.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...
I have gotten many flats and plugged them. They work fine. However, I was told that plugs will compromise the strength of the RFT walls which is what allows you to drive when the tire is flat. Dealerships will not repair a RFT for insurance reasons. If your tire fails after they fix it, they are responsible.

You can replace the tire with regular tires, but, I still don't think the a Lexus dealership will fix them.

Hope this helps,

DanO

That's interesting. What you're saying makes sense, which is why I was quite surprised when my local dealer (Woodfield Lexus in Schaumburg, IL - who, by the way, I'm not too fond of) told me they'll fix one of my Dunlop runflats that has a nail in the tread.

Wife hit a pothole over the weekend causing the side of one of my tires to rip. The dealer is saying that in addition to that tire, I have one with a nail in it (which can be repaired), and the other two need replacement. He told me about $1200 for a set of four!! What surprises me is that when we had a similar pothole incident last winter (God bless Midwestern winters), I had a different dealer look at all the tires for the notorious inside wear problem, and I was told they were all fine. Now, a year later, I'm being told that none of my tires are really good (three worn, one with a nail), and that I may want to get 4 new tires. Sounds a little fishy to me!

I have gotten many flats and plugged them. They work fine. However, I was told that plugs will compromise the strength of the RFT walls which is what allows you to drive when the tire is flat. Dealerships will not repair a RFT for insurance reasons. If your tire fails after they fix it, they are responsible.

You can replace the tire with regular tires, but, I still don't think the a Lexus dealership will fix them.

Hope this helps,

DanO

That's interesting. What you're saying makes sense, which is why I was quite surprised when my local dealer (Woodfield Lexus in Schaumburg, IL - who, by the way, I'm not too fond of) told me they'll fix one of my Dunlop runflats that has a nail in the tread.

Wife hit a pothole over the weekend causing the side of one of my tires to rip. The dealer is saying that in addition to that tire, I have one with a nail in it (which can be repaired), and the other two need replacement. He told me about $1200 for a set of four!! What surprises me is that when we had a similar pothole incident last winter (God bless Midwestern winters), I had a different dealer look at all the tires for the notorious inside wear problem, and I was told they were all fine. Now, a year later, I'm being told that none of my tires are really good (three worn, one with a nail), and that I may want to get 4 new tires. Sounds a little fishy to me!

This may be a good time for you to abandon the runflats and get a set of four tires for less money. You may want to consider getting a spare tire in that case as well. However, if you are going to continue with the runflats, I have one Dunlop runflat with about 3000 miles on it in perfect condition posted in the Buy and Sell forum if that helps you. here is the link

steviej

This may be a good time for you to abandon the runflats and get a set of four tires for less money. You may want to consider getting a spare tire in that case as well. However, if you are going to continue with the runflats, I have one Dunlop runflat with about 3000 miles on it in perfect condition posted in the Buy and Sell forum if that helps you. here is the link

steviej

I agree - this may be a good time to switch out the runflats. The issue is further complicated by a tire warranty I have on the tires. Under the warranty, the tire with the hole will be replaced for free, and they'll also pay to repair the tire with the nail in it (though they won't do it at absurd dealer prices - which means I'll be visiting my local TireRack installer). So, I'm now left with two tires that I may or may not need to replace (I don't really trust the dealers opinion - I think they may still be good for another year).

To be honest, I'm not very happy with the run flats - I find them harsh and noisy. So, I'll take the zero-cost warranty replacement to get me back on the road for now, and if I have to spend money on tires, I may as well get something different. Thank you very much for your offer, Steve - the price you're asking is very reasonable. I'd pull the trigger too if I weren't so interested in getting rid of the runflats when the time is right.