Change Run Flat Tires To Traditional Tires

My car is 08 GS350 AWD with Dunlop run-flat tires. I had a screw at RR. The Lexus dealer claimed the tires are not repairable. It can only be replaced. Does anyone know it is a true statement? Replacing a RFT will cost around $400 according to the dealership. :angry:

Does anyone know if we can use traditiional tires on those rims? Or have to use RFT?

Thanks.

I have gotten many flats and plugged them. They work fine. However, I was told that plugs will compromise the strength of the RFT walls which is what allows you to drive when the tire is flat. Dealerships will not repair a RFT for insurance reasons. If your tire fails after they fix it, they are responsible.

You can replace the tire with regular tires, but, I still don't think the a Lexus dealership will fix them.

Hope this helps,

DanO

Does anyone know if we can use traditiional tires on those rims? Or have to use RFT?

I just recently bought a GS460. With run-flats having a reputation for repair problems, high cost, quickly wearing out, and rough ride, I asked my dealer to swap out the Dunlops for regular Michlein P/S tires on the same rims. He even threw in the doughnut spare. I'm very happy with the results. It's probably too late to ask your dealer to swap yours, but maybe you could find a buyer for your run-flats and bite the bullet for the extra cost of a new set of regulars, knowing you probably have saved money in the long run -- plus get a smoother ride, fewer flats, and a longer lasting tire.

In my opinion, run-flats are not yet ready for prime-time. The technology is not quite there yet. They've been pushed onto consumers my manufacturers attempting to save weight, space, and improve average gas mileage (by removing the spare) to meet government mandates -- while trying to convince consumers that they should feel more secure, but failing to point out the negative factors. Actually the idea of driving 50 miles on a tire that will probably get destroyed and not being able to find a shop with the equipment to repair or replace it doesn't make me feel any more secure.

I dont think its a weight saving thing, the 08 with run flat now comes with a donut.

KevincLee, let us know how you made out. I am also thinking about going to regular tires when my runflat wears out. I know in the old days, run flats requires special rims, I believe thats not the case anymore.

After emailing to the GM of dealership, they agreed to reimburse that new RFT. But with a lot of execuses and BS. I truely believe the tire can be fixed. Anyway, I cannot prove it because I don't have the flat tire anymore.

And dealer also said they can be replaced by the traditional tires with the OEM rims. It is too late to ask them to replace all of them. We are currently contacting Lexus Customer Service 1-800-255-3987 to see what they can do about it. We have not heard back from them. I would like to encourage people to do that if you are not unhappy about this. Let them know this is a problem with #50K+ cars.

I agree with you, ahearn. The technology is not quite there yet. I've done some researches online. The RFTs are giving problems to Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, BMW 3 series and Lexus SC. There are a couple class action lawsuits against Toyota and Honda about misleading customers for unexpected high tire replacement costs. I guess they are more owners for Toyota and Honda. Otherwise, we may see the same situation for BMW and Lexus.

I dont think its a weight saving thing, the 08 with run flat now comes with a donut.

Mine didn't and I don't know of any car with RFTs that comes with a donut -- it defeats the purpose of the RFT. And it very definitely is a weight saving thing -- and a space saving thing in hybrids and two-seaters. It's not there for the customer's benefit.

ahearn, is your GS a 08. I just bought mine and it has RFT and a spare.

Yeah, strange. Mine is an '08 and originally had RFTs with no donut until I got the dealer to change out for non-RFTs and give me a spare. They told me that none of their cars with RFTs had donuts. In fact, the car had a formed styrofoam placeholder that was designed to sit where the spare sits to give support to the trunk floor. It was obviously not intended to have a spare. I'm wondering if those with RFTs and a spare might have been shipped with non-RFTs that got swapped out by the the dealer. G-Man, did your window sticker show RFTs? Did it show the spare as possibly an extra-cost item? I continue to be puzzled about this.

After a little research on standard and optional features, here's what seems to be the case:

GS 350 RWD
- non-RFT w/spare is standard; RFT w/o spare is option (FL)

GS350 AWD
- RFT w/spare is standard

GS 460 RWD
- non-RFT w/spare is standard; RFT w/o spare is option (FL)

GS 450h
- non-RFT w/spare is standard; RFT w/o spare is option (FL);
RFT w/spare is another option (FT)

• 3 months later...

I too is experiencing loud annoying tire noise. I have an 06 GS300 with Yokohama Advan A10B tires, I took it to the dealership and they told me that the tires are cupping which is creating that noise. Do you know if those tires are RFT? What causes tire cupping?

The Yokohama Advan A10B is not a run flat tire, cupping can be cause by the following:

- out of balance wheel assembly

- worn bearings, shocks, springs or other suspension components

- High tire pressure

Thanks G-man!

does cupped tires really produce that annoying sound? its kinda high pitch sound, it sounds like bearing noise but the dealership said the bearings are fine. have you heard if the A10B have good reviews as far as road noise?

My car is 08 GS350 AWD with Dunlop run-flat tires. I had a screw at RR. The Lexus dealer claimed the tires are not repairable. It can only be replaced. Does anyone know it is a true statement? Replacing a RFT will cost around $400 according to the dealership. :angry:

Thanks. Yes you can I just replaced my rft with traditional tires what a much better ride!!!!!

Just got my 20K oil change and found all 4 tires to be worn on the inside edge. The mechanic told me that these cars do noit have camber adjustment and that it will wear inside just like what I saw. Do you know the reasoning why Lexus designed it this way? (reading from other threads).

Just got my 20K oil change and found all 4 tires to be worn on the inside edge. The mechanic told me that these cars do noit have camber adjustment and that it will wear inside just like what I saw. Do you know the reasoning why Lexus designed it this way? (reading from other threads).

I just replaced my run flats with Michelin pilot sport a/s. What a difference. The ride is much more comfortable and they are very sticky in the rain. I do have a spare but I had to do a little complaining at the dealer to get it.

I just replaced my run flats with Michelin pilot sport a/s. What a difference. The ride is much more comfortable and they are very sticky in the rain. I do have a spare but I had to do a little complaining at the dealer to get it.

I hve the original dunlop runflats, is there a big difference in ride comfort and noise with the michelins or just a little ?

I hve the original dunlop runflats, is there a big difference in ride comfort and noise with the michelins or just a little ?

After talking with a Tire Rack rep,I switched from a tire from the Ultra High Performance A/S catagory (Michelin pilot sport a/s is one) to the Grand Touring A/S catagory on Tire Rack.

I want a softer and ouiet ride and that's what a Grand Touring tire will provide.You'll give up some handling but these cars aren't handling cars anyway.

If you want handling...get coilovers with a set of Ultra High Performance A/S

I went with Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity Technology.

In TR tests the Serenity came out a bit better over the Michelin Primacy MXV4 in ride and noise.In fact it was #1 in a 4 tires test in ride and noise.

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 came in 2nd.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...irePageLocQty=

The Turanza with Serenity came in 2nd with consumers too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

No the Yokohama Advan A10B have terrible reviews from GS owners as far as road noise. If you want less noise, go with Michelin pilot or good year eagle F1.

I have an '06 GS 300 AWD with 21k. Tires are General Exclaim UHP 225/50 ZR17 94W. I don't know if they are original equipment. I don't think these are run flat, according to the website

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...del=Exclaim+UHP

But I thought all AWD Gs came with run flat standard?

Anyway, the only real complaint I have is tire noise, although all the reviews mention how quiet the tire is. I just drove a courtesy ES 350 for a few days, and noted that it had almost no tire noise.

I bought my GS off - lease, for massive discount compared to new. Maybe the prior owner already replaced the run flats?

I have an '06 GS 300 AWD with 21k. Tires are General Exclaim UHP 225/50 ZR17 94W. I don't know if they are original equipment. I don't think these are run flat, according to the website

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...del=Exclaim+UHP

But I thought all AWD Gs came with run flat standard?

Anyway, the only real complaint I have is tire noise, although all the reviews mention how quiet the tire is. I just drove a courtesy ES 350 for a few days, and noted that it had almost no tire noise.

I bought my GS off - lease, for massive discount compared to new. Maybe the prior owner already replaced the run flats?

Those aren't OEM tires. Replace em and you'll be a lot happier with the tire noise.