Please Help!

pepa2000

When I bought my 1990 LS400 with 40,000 miles on it I didnt find out until later that one of the manifold studs on the top had been snapped in half. I can see half of the stud broken off in the exhaust pipe. Is it very expensive to have someone take it out and fix it? Does anyone know the procedure?

I would just leave it but it does sound like it has a exhaust leak coming from there.

$10 says its your notoriously unreliable an utterly inaccessible EGR pipe at the back of the engine block. My 92 has a leaking EGR pipe and sounds like a tractor compared to my 98.

If you can find a welding shop in your area that is familiar with using a welding technic to remove the broken stud. It is possible to build up the broken stud with a welding rod, then weld a nut to the build up portion of the stud, then remove it with a wrench. The heating process of welding will usually free up a frozen/broken stud like you have. Make sure the person that says he can do it CAN really do it. Don’t let some Billy-Bob screw up your cylinder head. This can be done, I have personally done it and so have many other competent welders.