Noises Second Generation Gs 300

I purchased a 1998 GS 300 in 2006. It had only 63,000 miles and had been owned by a very cautious lady. The car is plagued with noises. It has a droning noise at 55-70 mph--new tires had no effect and the noise persists even when the car is out of gear and is not affected by turning. It has a low speed squeak in the right front when I go over small-sharp bumps, but only in cold weather--new struts made the squeak a little harder to evoke but it is still there. It sometimes has a soft clunking noise at the left front when I drive along at 5-25 mph. And most alarming, it occasionally has a clanking sound that occurs at 1500 to 2000 rpm, but only when the engine is warming up or after it has been allowed to cool for about ten minutes. This noise occurs at engine speed and increases in volume with increased load--but goes away within a block or two. Any one else have these problems?

I purchased a 1998 GS 300 in 2006. It had only 63,000 miles and had been owned by a very cautious lady. The car is plagued with noises. It has a droning noise at 55-70 mph--new tires had no effect and the noise persists even when the car is out of gear and is not affected by turning. It has a low speed squeak in the right front when I go over small-sharp bumps, but only in cold weather--new struts made the squeak a little harder to evoke but it is still there. It sometimes has a soft clunking noise at the left front when I drive along at 5-25 mph. And most alarming, it occasionally has a clanking sound that occurs at 1500 to 2000 rpm, but only when the engine is warming up or after it has been allowed to cool for about ten minutes. This noise occurs at engine speed and increases in volume with increased load--but goes away within a block or two. Any one else have these problems?

sounds like maybe it was underwater and one point in time..

BP

And most alarming, it occasionally has a clanking sound that occurs at 1500 to 2000 rpm, but only when the engine is warming up or after it has been allowed to cool for about ten minutes. This noise occurs at engine speed and increases in volume with increased load--but goes away within a block or two. Any one else have these problems?

When I get home from work and go in and change before I go workout I let the car sit for about ten minutes re-start and sometime here this sound which does alarm me also. It is the only time my 99 GS 300 will do it? I would also like to know if that is a beginning of a problem or common?

Good Luck,

JT

• 2 months later...