How Long Did Your Alternator Last?

spalkin

My ES has 220k and I'm on the fence about changing out the alternator. On cold, dry days it's got a real slight squeak.

I know from ignoring that squeak you can end up stranded with a broken timing belt, like what happenned to me with an '88 CRX because I ignored that squeak coming from the tensioner bearing.

Have any of you ever gone though your alternator to check for wear or change out brushes?

Or, have you ever just experienced a failure and what was the mileage?

My ES has 220k and I'm on the fence about changing out the alternator. On cold, dry days it's got a real slight squeak.

I know from ignoring that squeak you can end up stranded with a broken timing belt, like what happenned to me with an '88 CRX because I ignored that squeak coming from the tensioner bearing.

Have any of you ever gone though your alternator to check for wear or change out brushes?

Or, have you ever just experienced a failure and what was the mileage?

Alternator life can vary due to a number of factors & at different mileage. If you feel it's on the way out, consider getting a remanufactured one or have yours rebuilt which shouldn't cost an arm & a leg. Is your timing belt due for replacement as well?

:cheers:

Timing belt, water pump, both idlers and tensioner all done. New valve cover gaskets, too. I went through it when I got the car because it came with no records.

Next time around I'll hit the cam and front seals.

I can't seem to locate a shop that rebuilds alts and starts. There was a place but it's long gone.

I think I'm just going to spring for the Denso Reman. She's worth it.

I think they rebuild alternators in the manufacturers only. However, you can buy a rebuilt kit yourself at Kragen, Napa Auto Parts.. .etc.

A lot of auto parts stores have a machine to test alternator. Bring the actual alternator to them and they can test the bearings and charging capacity on the machine. No need to just replace if not need to.

I had a Ford Mustang with 290K miles and the alternator was original. go figure. . .