Deciding To Buy 2000 Or 2001 Es300

I am new to the club, but have been driving Lexus for a while now. I am planning to buy another Lexus 2000 or 2001 ES300 model around 70000 miles for my daily office commute purpose. Can someone please tell me what I need to ask or check with the dealer or seller about the car. I read several articles on this club website, but didnt see a consolidate list of commom issues with this model car.

Does anyone has a list of common issues which everyone face on these model/year car?

Your help is much appreciated.

I am new to the club, but have been driving Lexus for a while now. I am planning to buy another Lexus 2000 or 2001 ES300 model around 70000 miles for my daily office commute purpose. Can someone please tell me what I need to ask or check with the dealer or seller about the car. I read several articles on this club website, but didnt see a consolidate list of commom issues with this model car.

Does anyone has a list of common issues which everyone face on these model/year car?

Welcome to the club! B) The one major item with these years is the engine sludge concern. Try & get one with all service/maintenance history as regular oil changes are key (synthetic oil is even better) as is the other regular fluid changes. Have the vehicle inspected by a trusted mechanic before you purchase. The only other issue I had with my previous 2001 ES was the rear suspension bushings needed replacement.....other than that, it ran like a Swiss watch. Good luck.

:cheers:

I am also looking at an ES300, 2001. This one has 139.561 miles on it and is priced at 6998.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/car/546340915.html

I never owned a Lexus before and am new to the country. Having looked around a bit I think the price seems fairly reasonable, which makes me suspicious since it is with a dealership - perhaps the higher mileage means I have a lot of expenses coming up. Anything in particular to look out for? All Advice is welcome.

Welcome to the club! B) The one major item with these years is the engine sludge concern. Try & get one with all service/maintenance history as regular oil changes are key (synthetic oil is even better) as is the other regular fluid changes. Have the vehicle inspected by a trusted mechanic before you purchase. The only other issue I had with my previous 2001 ES was the rear suspension bushings needed replacement.....other than that, it ran like a Swiss watch. Good luck.

Thank you for your advice. Today I went to the Lexus dealer and almost bought 1999 Coach Edition ES300. The dealer said the car has 73000 miles and showed me the history of all major services like 30k, 45k, 60k, 65k, 70k done at the dealer shop. It doesnt say whether it was done by Synthetic oil. Also the dealer was saying it just need 5w30 and dont have to be Synthetice oil or high grade premium octane gas. I will take your advice and put Synthetic oil every oil change. But overall the car looked very good. Is it a good model year to buy

Thank you for your advice. Today I went to the Lexus dealer and almost bought 1999 Coach Edition ES300. The dealer said the car has 73000 miles and showed me the history of all major services like 30k, 45k, 60k, 65k, 70k done at the dealer shop. It doesnt say whether it was done by Synthetic oil. Also the dealer was saying it just need 5w30 and dont have to be Synthetice oil or high grade premium octane gas. I will take your advice and put Synthetic oil every oil change. But overall the car looked very good. Is it a good model year to buy

If the 99 has all service history accounted for....that's a great start. What is the asking price? I personally like the 2000 - 2001's better because of the slight updates they did (especially those redesigned tail lights). The good news is, the 99 MY is when they tweaked the 3.0L V6 for 210 hp & 220 tq (compared with 200 hp & 214 tq). Keep us posted & good luck! :)

If the 99 has all service history accounted for....that's a great start. What is the asking price? I personally like the 2000 - 2001's better because of the slight updates they did (especially those redesigned tail lights). The good news is, the 99 MY is when they tweaked the 3.0L V6 for 210 hp & 220 tq (compared with 200 hp & 214 tq). Keep us posted & good luck! :)

Finally I bought the 1999 ES300 Coach edition for $9800+ttl from the Lexus dealer. Front 2 tires are new and rare are 40% worn. Spark plugs changed at 66k, dealer did the 70k and he said most of the 75k service items are done so dont worry about major service until 90k. Just recommended me to do oil change and tire rotation every 5k and come for 90k+timebelt+waterpump service. He said it will cost arond $1500 altogether. Dont know if I should go to the dealer to get it done somewhere outside. Please advice.

Congratulations on your purchase!

You might want to ask a local Toyota dealer how much they'd charge for 90K+Timing Belt+Water Pump before going to the Lexus dealer.

However, much to my surprise, I recently found out that a local Toyota dealer in my town is not cheaper than the Lexus dealer at all!!! :chairshot:

But, I believe many Toyota dealers normally charge less than Lexus dealers.

Congrats on your purchase! Post some pics when you get a chance.

As for the tires.....if your not replacing the rears anytime soon.....they should be switched with the fronts (new tires on the back of the car, not the front.....this might sound strange, but that is the correct set up if there is a fair bit of difference in tread depths).

What kind of tires are on the vehicle & are all 4 the same brand?

I am also looking at an ES300, 2001. This one has 139.561 miles on it and is priced at 6998.

I never owned a Lexus before and am new to the country. Having looked around a bit I think the price seems fairly reasonable, which makes me suspicious since it is with a dealership - perhaps the higher mileage means I have a lot of expenses coming up. Anything in particular to look out for? All Advice is welcome.

I own a 2000 ES300, 78000 miles runs like a champ. Wife drives this car and complain about power and front vibration. Replaced shock and 4 new tire Hanook 91V rated. I have the same color car on this link topic. 90K service can cost $1,300 at a local independent Lexus, lower then the stealership. I had it for two years, not bad on car insurance and regristation. I notice not too much problem asked about this model on Lexus Club which is a good thing. I do oil change between 3000 to 5000, not a problem. I get 21 miles to a gallon, but I am told by other lexus owner they get better miles to gallon rate. I paid $11,500 out the door (tax and reg included) Welcome to the club!

I own a 2000 ES300, 78000 miles runs like a champ. Wife drives this car and complain about power and front vibration. Replaced shock and 4 new tire Hanook 91V rated. I have the same color car on this link topic. 90K service can cost $1,300 at a local independent Lexus, lower then the stealership. I had it for two years, not bad on car insurance and regristation. I notice not too much problem asked about this model on Lexus Club which is a good thing. I do oil change between 3000 to 5000, not a problem. I get 21 miles to a gallon, but I am told by other lexus owner they get better miles to gallon rate. I paid $11,500 out the door (tax and reg included) Welcome to the club!

Thank you.... All 4 tires are Bridgestone tires. Front 2 are new and rare 2 are 40% worn. I want to know if all 1999 Coach edition ES300 models have in sufficient lights near the Automatic Trasmission Shift position area and Automatic Air Conditioning controls area. Because during the night I really cant see which button to press. Just cant figure out if there are any fuse or switches which need to be replaced.

Thank you.... All 4 tires are Bridgestone tires. Front 2 are new and rare 2 are 40% worn. I want to know if all 1999 Coach edition ES300 models have in sufficient lights near the Automatic Trasmission Shift position area and Automatic Air Conditioning controls area. Because during the night I really cant see which button to press. Just cant figure out if there are any fuse or switches which need to be replaced.

I can see the gears on the dash and I am ok with it, but cant see half of the buttons on the the Automatic Air conditioning control area.

I can see the gears on the dash and I am ok with it, but cant see half of the buttons on the the Automatic Air conditioning control area.

Please use the Instrument Panel (IP) dimmer dial knob to increase the brightness of the IP and the Automatic A/C controls area. Hope this helps. Best!