Buying A 92 Sc300 5speed

erukian

Hello. So i'm looking to purchase a 92 SC300 w/ 194k miles. Two owners, clear VIN#, all service records. and it's a 5 speed!

here's the listed problems currently with the car:

no ac

passenger door opens only from inside (outside handle feels loose)

passenger window only rolls down 3/4 of the way (about 3 inches of window doesn't go down)

Trunk lid doesn't stay open

quarter of the instrument cluster is dim

antenna doesn't come up all the way

right rear quarter panel damage behind the tire on the very bottom, not sure how that got there but it looks minor and just asthetic.

she says it eats a bit more oil today than it did when she bought it in 01

The engine runs very smooth, the interior is perrrfect except for typical wear and tear on the tan leather drivers seat. shifts smooth-no grind.

Given the problems, and the price: $5000, is that a good price for what the car is? I had her pull down the ads cause i told her i'm gonna pick it up this weekend, because right now i think it's a good deal, but if you guys see any red flags i should know about or discuss with her before then or somethign I should check for when I go back up there to pick it up, let me know.

Thanks!

-Joe

erukian, Her listed price is TOO HIGH. All because it's a rare 5-speed, don't look desperate into buying this car, test drive it and have the car inspected for any major mechanical repairs. Major repairs/parts are pricey for Lexus cars. Here is a link that list common problems found with the Sc.

http://intellexual.net/faq.html

Kelly Blue Book

Excellent

$5,220

Good

$4,680

Fair

$4,035

well i talked her down for $4800, is that still way too hight? i already told her i'd take the car, i'd kinda feel bad for backing out at this point unless I had a good reason. A manual is a must for me, i just love the connection with the car/road i get with a 5speed.

when you say pricey, how pricey compared to toyota parts? Obviously there will have to be some repairs done to the car to make it 100%.

-Joe

erukian, I personally would NEVER commit to any car purchase, without having it inspected/test driven. Yes I think $4800 is still too high because of the listed problem you mentioned in your first post. The car may have more problems, but you wont know this until you drive/inspect the car. As far as parts and there price, let just say it may cost more then the $4800 your willing to part with, but it is your money to spend not mine. Good Luck!

Hey bro yea i think thats a bit too step too unless ur absalutly sure its solid michanically

i bought my 92 with the same problems exept body damage and i only paid 3,600 for mine once i got taxes, title ,and plates it was about 4 g's altogether

then my clutch went out and parts were about avarage but labor was a !Removed! cause i had to take it to the dealer cause the local guys wouldnt touch it.

but it runs like a champ now

Hey Erukian, I think that lady is kinda nuts. She wants top dollar for a car that obviously has things wrong with it. If I were you, I'd spend a little money (around $100) to have a certified mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection so they could tell me what was wrong with the car. That will give you a better idea how much its going to cost to get it fixed, which will give you some leverage in negotiating. Good luck man, let us know what happens

Hello. So i'm looking to purchase a 92 SC300 w/ 194k miles. Two owners, clear VIN#, all service records. and it's a 5 speed!

here's the listed problems currently with the car:

no ac

passenger door opens only from inside (outside handle feels loose)

passenger window only rolls down 3/4 of the way (about 3 inches of window doesn't go down)

Trunk lid doesn't stay open

quarter of the instrument cluster is dim

antenna doesn't come up all the way

right rear quarter panel damage behind the tire on the very bottom, not sure how that got there but it looks minor and just asthetic.

she says it eats a bit more oil today than it did when she bought it in 01

The engine runs very smooth, the interior is perrrfect except for typical wear and tear on the tan leather drivers seat. shifts smooth-no grind.

Given the problems, and the price: $5000, is that a good price for what the car is? I had her pull down the ads cause i told her i'm gonna pick it up this weekend, because right now i think it's a good deal, but if you guys see any red flags i should know about or discuss with her before then or somethign I should check for when I go back up there to pick it up, let me know.

Thanks!

-Joe

JOE way to mucj I got a 92 sc400 with 200k on it for 2k I love this car it is automatic and a great car. It has everything that you said wrong with it except my windows work. Still I would not pay more than 3k max for this vehical.

Kenny