Anyone Know How To Change The Starter In A 91 Ls?

1991LS400

Does anyone have a diagram or know of a website that shows how to change the starter in a 1991 LS 400? Maybe someone can just write a good walkthrough for me on here.

Thanks guys!

It is a very involved job, too long to write up, so I will just post the appropriate manual pages. They are from the

www.techinfo.toyota.com website, $10 for 24hr access, an excellent service.

Attached are the manual pages for the 92 model year, but should be the same.

Let us know how you got on.

starter.pdf

cylinder.pdf

Its hell, trust me. Dealer gets 8 hrs labor, 1200 snaps for the labor and part....when you are in the middle of the project, you are going to wish you took it to them..hell you'll get a loaner to drive for a day.

what about the WHOLE project makes it most difficult?

it is hell. when i did one for the first time, I went home and left a 4sale sign in my 91 for a month before i was no longer upset about where they put it. At least the starters are pretty reliable so you shouldnt have to replace it again for another 15+ years.

Its the length of the job compared to what you would normally expect. Most starters in other engine layouts are easily accessable, so to have to strip the whole intake system (which are very complicated, but thats why we love them) on these cars just to get to the starter motor, is very frustrating.

Thats why I class it as hell. But if you are doing other work like cleaning the throttle body, check valves, replacing valve cover gaskets etc, and you were not pushed for time I am sure it could be a pleasant experience. You just need patience and time.

• 2 weeks later...

man, you guys are all awesome.

Yeah, I got time to do this. A friend of mine is helping me so I say if we go at it we should be able to get it done within 2 days, 3 TOPS (working at a reasonable pace that is). I've stripped NEARLY the entire front end of my engine off just to change the damn fan bracket that busted on me a year ago. That was tedious, especially having to work on my back to get the fan bracket out and put the new one in. I expect this starter job to be just as tedious, if not less tedious than the fan bracket change. Maybe it'll be a bit harder but hopefully not by much.

So basically, the starter is UNDERNEATH the intake manifold (the silver middle part of the engine with the 'L'exus logo on it, right?) and sitting in between the two valve covers?

man, you guys are all awesome.

Yeah, I got time to do this. A friend of mine is helping me so I say if we go at it we should be able to get it done within 2 days, 3 TOPS (working at a reasonable pace that is). I've stripped NEARLY the entire front end of my engine off just to change the damn fan bracket that busted on me a year ago. That was tedious, especially having to work on my back to get the fan bracket out and put the new one in. I expect this starter job to be just as tedious, if not less tedious than the fan bracket change. Maybe it'll be a bit harder but hopefully not by much.

So basically, the starter is UNDERNEATH the intake manifold (the silver middle part of the engine with the 'L'exus logo on it, right?).

Yes

I had my local Lexus dealer install new starter contacts in my GS400. Total time was FOUR hours, including the starter repair. I got that done, and a new air filter, and the needed gaskets for under $600.00 Canadian. And they garanteed the starter repair of course.

For sure you don't need a new starter, just the contacts, and they run about $30.00 at the dealer.

• 1 month later...

IT IS AT THE TOP OF YOUR INTAKE

Does anyone have a diagram or know of a website that shows how to change the starter in a 1991 LS 400? Maybe someone can just write a good walkthrough for me on here.

Thanks guys!

• 1 year later...

Its the length of the job compared to what you would normally expect. Most starters in other engine layouts are easily accessable, so to have to strip the whole intake system (which are very complicated, but thats why we love them) on these cars just to get to the starter motor, is very frustrating.

Thats why I class it as hell. But if you are doing other work like cleaning the throttle body, check valves, replacing valve cover gaskets etc, and you were not pushed for time I am sure it could be a pleasant experience. You just need patience and time.

I know it's been a while but I do need your help with removing the starter.

I've taken off the Air Chamber, but I have a problem taking off the Manifold, which is under the Chamber and above the starter. It must be off before I can reach the starter. The problem is it won't come off. It feels like something is in the way but I cannot figure out what. BTW, the By Pass Join is on and I don't think it has much to do with the Manifold. So are the Injection Rails which are on the Manifold so I think I can leave them on. All 6 bolts and 4 nuts are off. I can lift the front of the Manifold about 1 inch from the Cylinder Head. But the rear only a one-tenth of a inch.

Would you folks remember as you worked on the starter removal what's at the back, behind the Manifold but in front of the firewall? Would you think there may be an extra bolt that prevents me from taking the Manifold out?

Thanks in advance.

You will get much satisfaction from doing this repair yourself rather than taking it to a dealer.....trust me on that

.... and probably a few busted knuckles and a night of prayer for all of the curse words you blurted out during the process? ;)

I know it's been a while but I do need your help with removing the starter.

I've taken off the Air Chamber, but I have a problem taking off the Manifold, which is under the Chamber and above the starter. It must be off before I can reach the starter. The problem is it won't come off. It feels like something is in the way but I cannot figure out what. BTW, the By Pass Join is on and I don't think it has much to do with the Manifold. So are the Injection Rails which are on the Manifold so I think I can leave them on. All 6 bolts and 4 nuts are off. I can lift the front of the Manifold about 1 inch from the Cylinder Head. But the rear only a one-tenth of a inch.

Would you folks remember as you worked on the starter removal what's at the back, behind the Manifold but in front of the firewall? Would you think there may be an extra bolt that prevents me from taking the Manifold out?

Thanks in advance.

Have you removed the EGR pipe at the rear, the fuel pipe unions, the injector connectors and the two bolts which hold the black plastic loom cover to the inlet manifold ( see picture).

Once you have the inlet manifold off the next problem is the rear coolant bridge as there is very little room to lift it off the studs as yet another plastic wiring loom cover sits above it but the loom cover is held in place with 4 bolts 2 at the rear of it near to the heater hoses and then 2 more going down on the driver's side, removing these bolts gives you a little more clearance to remove the bypass bridge.

Ensure that the coolant is fully drained or you will fill the rear cylinders with coolant when you lift up the bypass bridge ( plug the holes as seen in the picture just in case)

post-26370-1244377117_thumb.jpg

The red arrow in this picture points to a bracket holding an electrical component, it had to be loosened and pried up before I could remove the manifold on my 95.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400-foru...tml#post4198559

Wow, that has to be about the dumbest place to put a starter motor. What were they thinking?! Combine this with the water pump and your could start a conspiracy rumor.