Anyone Have Any Comments About 16 Inch Vs 17 Inch Wheels On An Es330

as far as performance/handling vs ride....

Also, any particular recommended all-season tires that people have liked (either 16 or 17 inch) that have reasonable snow traction but yet also good ride in summer and reasonable tread life!

thanks

Boston Snowboarder

2005 ES330, standardly equipped - getting new tires since it is a Pre-Certified Lexus, but will likely be the standard Bridgestone Crap!

The ride from the 17's will likely be slightly more frim (but not by very much at all) because of the shorter sidewall (60 ratio on the 16's vs. 55 ratio for the 17's). Do you have the standard suspension set up (IE: does your car have the strut tower brace) or do you have the AVS suspension option?

The 17's will also fill the wheel well out a little more.

:cheers:

The ride from the 17's will likely be slightly more frim (but not by very much at all) because of the shorter sidewall (60 ratio on the 16's vs. 55 ratio for the 17's). Do you have the standard suspension set up (IE: does your car have the strut tower brace) or do you have the AVS suspension option?

I just have the standard suspension. The AVS suspension option sounds pretty cool, but could'nt find many used 05's around here with that option. I want to keep my ride relatively soft as that is one of the things that I like about the lexus - (the soft, comfortable ride with minimal road noise and good isolation from bumps), but then I think the 17 inchers should give a bit better feel for cornering and handling, which I agree is a bit lackluster. Anyway, not much I can do about it unless I buy a set of smaller 16 inch rims, which I wont do unless it would make a major difference.

I just have the standard suspension. The AVS suspension option sounds pretty cool, but could'nt find many used 05's around here with that option. I want to keep my ride relatively soft as that is one of the things that I like about the lexus - (the soft, comfortable ride with minimal road noise and good isolation from bumps), but then I think the 17 inchers should give a bit better feel for cornering and handling, which I agree is a bit lackluster. Anyway, not much I can do about it unless I buy a set of smaller 16 inch rims, which I wont do unless it would make a major difference.

It won't make a major difference. Just stick with tires for your OE 17" alloys....you'll be fine. :)

The only thing I would suggest is if you do decide to get a set of winter tires down the road, get a set of Lexus 16" (2002 - 2006 ES) alloys from an autowrecker or salvage yard for dirt cheap & just install the winter rubber on them.

The AVS suspension is all but unavailable in the US, especially on the east coast. I've never even seen one with the AVS in person.

In terms of the ride. Mine has 16s and I've driven a ton of 330s with the 17s and its a little firmer with the 17s, but not much at all.

I like the way the 17s fill the wheel well better but I don't care for the style of the 330s 17s.

The AVS suspension is all but unavailable in the US, especially on the east coast. I've never even seen one with the AVS in person.

Strange......both my ES's had/have the AVS suspension.....not that difficult at all to find in Ontario. :blink:

It won't make a major difference. Just stick with tires for your OE 17" alloys....you'll be fine. :)

The only thing I would suggest is if you do decide to get a set of winter tires down the road, get a set of Lexus 16" (2002 - 2006 ES) alloys from an autowrecker or salvage yard for dirt cheap & just install the winter rubber on them.

That's a great idea to get a seperate set of 16 inch rims for snows. That would make the ride a bit softer on the snow tires and probably easier and cheaper to get 16 inch winters rather than 17 inch. also then it is a piece of cake to switch them out.

I am not surprised that the AVS is common on the West Coast, but funny that it is common in canada but not the east coast. What makes canada different to make it popular there compared to the east coast USA? I would have liked the AVS - can put it in soft suspension for the crappy potholed Boston roads, but then if I take a highway trip somewhere, can put it in firm. But, dealers around Boston said that I would never find a used ES around here with AVS on it.

I've never driven a car with the AVS, but the reviews I've read weren't very enthusiastic. They said the car was too wallowy in comfort, too firm in sport, and just like the normal car in regular. Given my experience with air ride vs not on the LS400 and 430 I could see how they'd think that.

Personally, I enjoyed the fact that I can change the setting depending on a given road surface & it does work well.

My only concern is down the road is if the system has any problems......what will that cost me? :blink: