Rx 300

Toyofreak

We have had our RX for awhile now pushing around 80000 with no problems except for the alt squeeling when it rains, any way I see alot of transmission problems here with these vehicles. Should we be concerned about this is there anything that we can do to prevent this from happening? Is just changing the fluid out with Toyota brand good enough? Or should we do more than that to prevent this problem? Having a large family we cannot aford problems like this, I do all of the maintanance myself so any help would be appreciated. Thanks The Finnegan's

First, what year is it, and is it AWD? If it is AWD then I suggest changing the tranny fluid every 15k miles with Toyota Type IV fluid only. If when you pull the dipstick the fluid is not bright red and smells burnt, you are very much so ready for a fluid change. Here is a site that will help you with many of the maintenance requirements:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rx300how2/index.html

First, what year is it, and is it AWD? If it is AWD then I suggest changing the tranny fluid every 15k miles with Toyota Type IV fluid only. If when you pull the dipstick the fluid is not bright red and smells burnt, you are very much so ready for a fluid change. Here is a site that will help you with many of the maintenance requirements:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rx300how2/index.html

The year is 2002 checked the fluid today it is a dark red color does not smell burnt or any thing like that. Thanks, so much I actually looked at this last night awsome material. Another question should I pull the pan off and attempt to change the filter if there is in fact a filter there? or would just changing the fluid out help ensure long life of our transmission? Thanks,

I would suggest dropping the pan the first time. Check how much debris is in the bottom on the three magnets. Yes there is a filter, it is usually a mesh, that can be cleaned. If you buy an aftermarket one it will have the real filtering medium. Is your car All WHeel DRive?

I would suggest dropping the pan the first time. Check how much debris is in the bottom on the three magnets. Yes there is a filter, it is usually a mesh, that can be cleaned. If you buy an aftermarket one it will have the real filtering medium. Is your car All WHeel DRive?

It is just a FWD vehicle, so you don't have to change the filter out just clean it? and will I be able to use the same gasket for the pan? Or should I get one just in case. About how many quarts of fluid should I get and that is type IV right. I am pretty mechanically inclined but the Toyota dealership here is not as picky as I am so I have been doing all of the maintanance myself to ensure that it is done right anyway. I was reading post until about 2 this morining you guys are awsome and it is a pleasure to be in this forum. I have been with Toyota for about 17 years and have never had any problem with there vehicles... knocking on wood

Thanks so much

Kevin

When I drop the pan I take it that the more debris that I have the worse the condition will be? and what does real filtering medium mean?

Thanks

The AWD takes about 4.3 qts. to drain and refill. The filter is a wire mesh screen that can be cleaned. Some aftermarket filters use the paper filter medium instead. Expect some fine dirty debris from the clutch bands. This is normal, You just dont want to see big chunks of metal filings. The magnets will have some magnetic debris on them, dont be alarmed this is OK. After the first drain and fill, you will have only replaced about 1/2 of the fluid capacity. Next oil change do a drain and fill without removing the pan. The fluid will get progressively cleaner. good Luck, Oh by the way I have always replaced the pan gasket, but you could try to re-use it. Torque is only about 8 to 10 ft/lbs on those bolts. It is a rubberized cork gasket.

The AWD takes about 4.3 qts. to drain and refill. The filter is a wire mesh screen that can be cleaned. Some aftermarket filters use the paper filter medium instead. Expect some fine dirty debris from the clutch bands. This is normal, You just dont want to see big chunks of metal filings. The magnets will have some magnetic debris on them, dont be alarmed this is OK. After the first drain and fill, you will have only replaced about 1/2 of the fluid capacity. Next oil change do a drain and fill without removing the pan. The fluid will get progressively cleaner. good Luck, Oh by the way I have always replaced the pan gasket, but you could try to re-use it. Torque is only about 8 to 10 ft/lbs on those bolts. It is a rubberized cork gasket.

Thanks, when I do try this this weekend I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks, when I do try this this weekend I will let you know how it goes.

It actually takes more like a full 5 quarts to refill a simple drain provided you remember to drain the ATF from the differential case via the separate drain plug there. At 40,000 miles my '01 AWD RX300's ATF was definitely burned. The sump had about 1/8 inch of what looked like ground up pencil lead which I took to be clutch frictional surface wear.

It took two separate drain and refill cycles before my ATF looked good to go.

west, he has the FWD, I believe he doesnt have the other drain plug, or am I wrong?

Thanks you guys I have never been in a real club like this one before with people who care and are this knowledable about a product that I care about very much.

One question for you lenore as much trouble that you have had with the lexus vehicle why are you still a lexus family do you or do you believe that they are a quality company? Just curious I have been promoting Toyota/Lexus since I was 19 and I have never driven anything else.

Thanks,

Kevin

The transmission is the only problem that I have had that I consider not normal, considering the mileage and the care I gave it. Brakes, etc, that is normal. The RX300 is a wonderful vehicle, nice for long trips, And I like it very much. I am just disgusted with Lexus of Roseville California and Lexus of AMerica for treating me like garbage. If the tranny hadnt failed and Lexus would have given me some relief, I would still be very loyal. I appreciate how well otherwise that the car has held together.

Well I am done with the transmission project thanks to lenore tips I think that it went pretty well. Some one had previously changed the filter because it was a felt filter. any way took four quarts out and added about 4 and 3/4 in I did not check what the level was before performing this project I hope that I did not over fill it. Thanks guys it was very satisfiying and maybe next time I will do the filter.

The Finnegan's

If the level is too high when it is hot, you can always just remove the drain plug and remove just a little, then screw it back in.

I checked after we did our running around and it checked out perfect, thanks again lenore for some very important info.