Replace Antenna On Rx300

I appreciate the very detailed instructions that a user provided on replacing my antenna, however, that's a bit much for me to do on my own. Here's my story, hoping someone can chime in soon. I want to take care of this Monday if possible.

My antenna had been bent for a while, but it was still funcitioning for the most part. It didn't retract all the way, but it served the purpose. I was planning to get it fixed when I go in for service in March. Yesterday, I noticed that when I turned off my radio, I continued to hear the hum of the antenna motor longer than normal. When I got out and looked, the antenna was hanging almost down to the bumper with the cord exposed! So the motor was attempting to retract the antenna, which of course it could not. I wanted to somehow push the cord and antenna back in until I could get to the dealer or a shop.

However, my "I'll handle it" boyfriend yanked it off and said you're going to have to get a new one! :chairshot: I was thinking that if I left it "connected" it might be easier to replace. But what's done is done now. If I take it to Lexus, will it be very expensive? How long will it take? I am hoping that I can just take it to a good body shop familar with Lexus vehicles (which I do have a good body shop) and let them do it. How much $ do I stand to save? Is that ok or is this one of those things that I should only trust to Lexus?

I would suggest buying one on ebay, to get the best price. Type in "rx300 antenna" and you'll find quite a few, some as little as $11.

When you get it, take it to various body shops until you get the best estimate. This has to be something they can have their guys do in less than an hour, a simple job for the average shop, that gets/keeps customers.

I believe that any shop should be able to do it.

I just did this repair on my other Lexus. Its quite easy; however you seem hesitant. I used to be one of those meddling boyfriends and now I am a meddling husband, so i understand your situation. My problem was that the white corrugated plastic extender/retractor was stripped inside the housing that contains the motor that moves the antenna. The part cost $44US, and took me about 0.5hrs to change. My guess is that yours will need a similar repair. I suggest that either you do it yourself, or take it to a dealer. Most Toyota dealers wont work on a Lexus, so you are likely stuck with a Lexus dealer. My guess at cost is $50us for the part, and 1hr labor (here in Canada thats about $110CDN), so about $150US.

Karl

I just did this repair on my other Lexus. Its quite easy; however you seem hesitant. I used to be one of those meddling boyfriends and now I am a meddling husband, so i understand your situation. My problem was that the white corrugated plastic extender/retractor was stripped inside the housing that contains the motor that moves the antenna. The part cost $44US, and took me about 0.5hrs to change. My guess is that yours will need a similar repair. I suggest that either you do it yourself, or take it to a dealer. Most Toyota dealers wont work on a Lexus, so you are likely stuck with a Lexus dealer. My guess at cost is $50us for the part, and 1hr labor (here in Canada thats about $110CDN), so about $150US.

Karl

I don't agree going to a dealer is the best way, but it "is" an option. I just think you will end up paying a LOT more at a dealer vs a body shop.

Since you stated you are friendly with a shop, take it there <_<

This comes up on the board now and again. I replaced my antenna-shaft/cable assemble a while back and it really was pretty straight forward. "body shops" usually do body repair but most any mechanic or "auto repair" shop should be able to handle it easily. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I just want to make sure you end up at the right place to get your ride fixed.

I paid about $70 for an OEM Lexus mast/cable but I found out later that this place sells them as well for less

antennamastsrus.com/Lexus/RX%20300/RX%20300%201999-2003.htm

I've never used them, so be sure to check them out first though. Just a starting point.

The job took me about an 60-90 minutes to complete with most of that being the removal/replacement of all the passenger rear interior panels to allow access to the antenna/motor assembly. A good honest shop should charge an hour plus parts and you should get out for under $200.

• 1 month later...

I just took my RX300 to the Lexus dealer yesterday and they quoted me $310 to replace the antenna that wasn't fully extending or retracting. Oh! and the antenna motor is covered under my extended warranty, but the antenna itself is not. Anyway, I was not in the mood to drop $310 so I am going to give it a try myself. wish me luck!

I just took my RX300 to the Lexus dealer yesterday and they quoted me $310 to replace the antenna that wasn't fully extending or retracting. Oh! and the antenna motor is covered under my extended warranty, but the antenna itself is not. Anyway, I was not in the mood to drop $310 so I am going to give it a try myself. wish me luck!

Well Good Luck! You probably wont need it though. If you've got the replacement shaft/cable you should be fine. Please post if you have any trouble.