03 Es300 Aftermarket Radio Install

lexus7782

I just wanted to confirm with everyone that YOU CAN install a double din aftermarket radio/navigation unit into a 2004 Lexus ES330 using the face plate on the first page. I just completed doing it myself and it worked BEAUTIFULLY! I am really happy with the results. What you will need:

1) Lexus Double Din Face Plate (Part #: 5540533230)

--if you want, you can just use the brackets and screws that are currently holding in your standard radio as these will fit the double din as well..otherwise you will need to purchase those (listed in first post)

2) Wiring Harness: Metra TYTO-01

--this worked great with integrating into the factory amplified system you have..it does not list being compatible with Lexus but I can assure you it works in my car, as this is the part that Metra Technical support told me to use

3) Trim Piece: Metra 95-8202

--as mentioned earlier, there is about a 1/2 inch gap on each side of the aftermarket unit when placed in the Lexus Double Din Radio Faceplate....these trim pieces fill in these gaps REALLY well....they almost look factory. I also noticed about a millimeter gap between the top and bottom which I filled in with a piece of felt..(really minor gap...maybe not even noticeable)

That's all you need to fit in a aftermarket navigation unit or double din stereo into a 2004 Lexus ES330. I can say that I had it installed and have been LOVING it. I installed a Pioneer F90BT. One thing I must say is that after the install, my factory sound system sounds MUCH better for some reason with a lot stronger base, as well. I guess this could be attributed to the new unit. My unit came with integrated bluetooth and ipod so I have that in my car as well. In addition, I also added a rear view camera (Boyo VTL-420) that attached on my license plate.

It took me quite some time and a lot of phone calls to make sure all the parts would work (especially since most of them don't list Lexus compatibility), but I can tell you that the parts listed above DID work for me in my 2004 Lexus ES 330.

I will try to post some pictures to show you how it looks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi lexus7782,

I found your post about installing a double din navigation system on 2003 Lexus ES 300 very useful. I have the same car model and am thinking about installing a "Kenwood Double Din DVD Nav DNX8120" in my car.

I will be grateful if you can post or send me picture(s) post installation. I quite keen to see how it looks. Thanks a lot!

Regards

Gaurav

Email: gaurav77@gmail.com

Hi silentvigilante786,

Please can you share some after all install pictures of your after market double din navigation unit. Thanks a lot. I am looking to do the same for my 2003 ES300.

Regards

Guarav

gaurav77@gmail.com

I just picked up a 2003 ES300. My plan is to install a standard double din stereo/navigation system. Specifically a KENWOOD DDX6019 + KNA-G510 DVD NAVIGATION. I purchased a radio face plate for an 03 ES300 with navigation since its double din. I called Lexus and the part # is 5540533230. You want the one for the Mark Levinson stereo. The part is $111.00. (see picture below)

Second, the 2002 ES300 amp is in the passenger kick panel. Since the 2002 is very similiar to the 2003, I assume they kept it in the same location, although I haven't yet verified if this is true. (see attached pdf file) Does anyone have the pinouts for the 2003 ES300 radio and amp?

There are 7 speakers in the 2003 ES300. (1) 6.5 inch speaker in each door. (1) tweeter in each front door. (1) 8 inch free air sub in the rear deck.

Opening is: 7 13/16 x 3 15/16

Part # is: 5540533230

85k8u55.jpg

I also purchased the radio brackets and (10) bolts/screws. Parts numbers are:

Brackets:

(1) 8621133170

(1) 8621233170

Bolts:

(6) 9015350010

Screws:

(4) 9356855016

86onguo.jpg

just got a 2002 lexus es 300 and want to install a dvd flip out screen in it. its basically the same as a head unit but i really need help with this topic too because audio stores are saying they dont want to do custom work

I AM INSTALLING A PANASONIC 7" DOUBLE DIN.. I GOT THE WIRING DIAGRAM FROM AN 04' ES AND WAS TOLD THAT IT IS THE SAME FOR ALL OTHERS,(2002-2006 WITH OUT NAVIGATION) I ALSO ORDERED A DASH KIT FROM EBAY, WENT TO THE DEALERSHIP AND PURCHASED THE DOUBLE DIN BEZEL SINCE MINE DIDNT COME WITH THE NAVIGATION... IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS I SHOULD HAVE IT INSTALLED. I WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT... IF EVERYTHING WORKS I WILL POST THE DIAGRAM AND DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS.. IF IT WORKS!

I just wanted to confirm with everyone that YOU CAN install a double din aftermarket radio/navigation unit into a 2004 Lexus ES330 using the face plate on the first page. I just completed doing it myself and it worked BEAUTIFULLY! I am really happy with the results. What you will need:

1) Lexus Double Din Face Plate (Part #: 5540533230)

--if you want, you can just use the brackets and screws that are currently holding in your standard radio as these will fit the double din as well..otherwise you will need to purchase those (listed in first post)

2) Wiring Harness: Metra TYTO-01

--this worked great with integrating into the factory amplified system you have..it does not list being compatible with Lexus but I can assure you it works in my car, as this is the part that Metra Technical support told me to use

3) Trim Piece: Metra 95-8202

--as mentioned earlier, there is about a 1/2 inch gap on each side of the aftermarket unit when placed in the Lexus Double Din Radio Faceplate....these trim pieces fill in these gaps REALLY well....they almost look factory. I also noticed about a millimeter gap between the top and bottom which I filled in with a piece of felt..(really minor gap...maybe not even noticeable)

That's all you need to fit in a aftermarket navigation unit or double din stereo into a 2004 Lexus ES330. I can say that I had it installed and have been LOVING it. I installed a Pioneer F90BT. One thing I must say is that after the install, my factory sound system sounds MUCH better for some reason with a lot stronger base, as well. I guess this could be attributed to the new unit. My unit came with integrated bluetooth and ipod so I have that in my car as well. In addition, I also added a rear view camera (Boyo VTL-420) that attached on my license plate.

It took me quite some time and a lot of phone calls to make sure all the parts would work (especially since most of them don't list Lexus compatibility), but I can tell you that the parts listed above DID work for me in my 2004 Lexus ES 330.

I will try to post some pictures to show you how it looks.

I followed these tips and got my Pioneer Avic F90BT installed with no issues in my 04 es330. The install shop was able to provide the compatible wiring harness and the trim pieces, and the part number for the Front Bezel/Dash piece was definitely the right one. Although there is a distinction between the Mark Levinson panel vs. the Premium Sound panel, I think the major difference is just the printed text. Works great! Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

i just wanted to add my 2 cents.

last night (2-23-2009) i installed an ECLIPSE AVN-7000 (single din flip screen navi) into my cousins 02 es300.

all is true from above responses. you'll need the levinson faceplate, i hard wired the unit into the output of the factory amp (directly behind the glovebox) for all 4 door speakers. all power connections, and dimmer are available at the factory stereo plug. i did not want to spend 50-100$ on a "factory amp integration harness" since i was adding aftermarket amps and subs, so no need to retain the factory sub.

i also needed the VSS for afmkt navi. this wire is also located at the ECM which is directly behind the glovebox, next to the factory amp.

i did not try to use the factory brackets, with the metra "gap fiilers" for the sides. i actually used a HIGHLY MODIFIED 97-01 es300 kit. it really was not that hard to modify, just wanted to make it perfect. (ive been installing for 11 years) so for me it was easy, but the method described above seemed like it would work great. the 97-01 kit just filled the gaps great and allowed me to mount the head unit into the kit as opposed to doing an iso-din install. i will try to add pics as soon as possible. i will answer any question anyone has.

INSTALLING AN AFTERMARKET STEREO IN THIS VEHICLE IS COMPLETELY POSSIBLE!!!! NOTHING TO BE SCARED OF!!! :cheers:

her are some helpful wire colors for head unit (thanks DEI)

02 lexus es300

12+ constant blue/yellow

12+ acc gray

ground brown

illumination + green

factory amp on pink/blue

all wires above found at factory head unit plug

left front spkr +pink -purple

right front spkr +light green -blue

left rear spkr +black -yellow

right rear spkr +red -white

all wires above found at factory amp (behind glovebox next to ECM)

VSS (speed sense) purple/white

found at ECM (behind glovebox next to factory amp)

• Thanks 1

silentvigilante786,

Wow!! I just bought an es330 and am thrilled with the car, but highly disappointed with the stock stereo. Thanks to your marvelous work, I think I can have the perfect car!!

Thank you lexus7782 for finding out all the parts needed w/ part #s to help us replace our factory radio face plates with a double din for possibly aftermarket stereos and navs. How did your installation finally turn out?

I myself have a 2004 Lexus ES330 and am hoping to replace my factory 6disc in-dash cd changer to a Pioneer Avic-F90BT. I called up lexus and they said the part listed on the first page should be the same double din/nav instrument panel for a 2004 ES330. I ordered that from www.mylexparts.com for about $83. I believe the brackets and screws that are already in my car now should be the same ones that will work with the double din/nav panel as that is what I was told by mylexparts.com. Hopefully that will be the case.

In regards to the wiring harness, I did some research into the harness listed on the first page and I am not sure if that will work. I called up a few companies selling that and they all specifically stated that it was meant to use with Parrot Bluetooth devices and are not simply stereo wiring harness. After a lot of research and phone calls, the ONLY wiring harness I could find is the Metra TYTO-01.

http://www.metraonline.com/products.aspx?s=tyto-01

This is a wiring harness specifically meant for higher end toyota vehicles with JBL sound systems and is meant to work WITH your factory amp. Though Lexus compatibility is not stated on the website, I was assured on multiple occasions by METRA tech support that it has been tested and will work with a 2004 Lexus ES330. I am ordering one and we shall see.

The last missing piece is the universal trim piece. I am not sure how much gap there will be as I have not received all my parts yet, but I believe many of these aftermarket navs come with accessory trim pieces to use for these scenarios. Otherwise, my installer might have to custom make something.

So it looks like I have all or am in the process of aquiring all the necessary parts and I will post pictures and feedback within the next couple weeks on whether it worked for me or not. If someone has already tried installing aftermarket navs in any ES 300-ES330s we would all greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions on how you did it. Also, if someone sees any mistakes in my setup....please let me know :). Thanks.

Thanks for your info on the needed parts to upgrade to a double DIN unit. I have found out that you can order the double DIN face plate directly from your lexus dealer. The replacement unit should not exceed a 7" screen, part# 55405B. Check it out. Tell them you need the face plate for the factory unit with nav.

• 2 months later...
I just picked up a 2003 ES300. My plan is to install a standard double din stereo/navigation system. Specifically a KENWOOD DDX6019 + KNA-G510 DVD NAVIGATION. I purchased a radio face plate for an 03 ES300 with navigation since its double din. I called Lexus and the part # is 5540533230. You want the one for the Mark Levinson stereo. The part is $111.00. (see picture below)

Second, the 2002 ES300 amp is in the passenger kick panel. Since the 2002 is very similiar to the 2003, I assume they kept it in the same location, although I haven't yet verified if this is true. (see attached pdf file) Does anyone have the pinouts for the 2003 ES300 radio and amp?

There are 7 speakers in the 2003 ES300. (1) 6.5 inch speaker in each door. (1) tweeter in each front door. (1) 8 inch free air sub in the rear deck.

Opening is: 7 13/16 x 3 15/16

Part # is: 5540533230

85k8u55.jpg

I also purchased the radio brackets and (10) bolts/screws. Parts numbers are:

Brackets:

(1) 8621133170

(1) 8621233170

Bolts:

(6) 9015350010

Screws:

(4) 9356855016

86onguo.jpg

exactly what i've been looking for! please keep us posted!

GETTING THE PIECES TOGETHER:

I got the listed parts also and they are exactly what you'll need to get a 2 DIN radio centered correctly in a 03 ES 300 CD radio replacement - I bought a Pioneer AVIC F90BT ( 5.8 inch screen) radio for an aftermarket replacement unit and it has the gap on each side . The standard screw mounting holes on the new receiver align to Lexus brackets perfectly. The top to bottom fit was great -just the side gaps need help.

I haven't removed the factory radio or installed the AVIC F90BT yet so I don't know if it will fit depth wise into the dash cavity but it should. Also I read that the AVIC F700BT is a better color match but you lose some features.

I'm shopping for a filler plate material also - the smooth shiny black plastic on the AVIC F90BT front is challenging - I'm sure there's material available to do a nice job - TAP plastics maybe, BUT I haven't looked around much though.

Hi guys, thanks a lot for this thread.

I have this problem, tell me if you think it's solvable: I've got an aftermarket radio installed in my 2002 ES through TYTO-1 (got the work done in a radio shop). If I insert the key into ignition and wait a few seconds before turning the unit on, everything seems to work just fine. BUT: if I turn on both the car and the radio at the same time, then the radio powers up but there's no sound. The guys at the shop are saying the remote signal voltage from the tyto isn't enough to wake up the stock amp. they tried replacing the tyto and also adding an additional relay, but it made zero difference. Could they have connected it incorrectly, or is it be the amp's problem?

Another issue: I don't know if it's related or not, but after the car was left alone for a week I found the battery drained. Could they have wired the radio/tyto in such a way that it leaks power without the key in ignition?

• 4 weeks later...

May I know if I need to purchase new radio receiver brackets if I used to have the standard radio and not the navigation for a 2DIN audio headunit installation? I wanna install this for my mum's car but Im not exactly sure if I need to buy the brackets.

i've been quoted these prices from SS lex:

$144.88 - 5540533230

$26.48 - 8621133170

$24.08 - 8621233170

$2.00 - 9015350010

$1.52 - 9356855016

$200 just for the dash kit...

anyone knows the source where i can get these parts cheaper?

i've been quoted these prices from SS lex:

$144.88 - 5540533230

$26.48 - 8621133170

$24.08 - 8621233170

$2.00 - 9015350010

$1.52 - 9356855016

$200 just for the dash kit...

anyone knows the source where i can get these parts cheaper?

www.mylexparts.com

you only need to buy the faceplate. The brackets and screws are already holding your old radio so you can use them to hold your new double din radio. There may be 2 screws lacking but the audio install shop should easily provide you with the right size at no charge.

thanks man! just placed the order.

www.mylexparts.com

you only need to buy the faceplate. The brackets and screws are already holding your old radio so you can use them to hold your new double din radio. There may be 2 screws lacking but the audio install shop should easily provide you with the right size at no charge.