Most Scenic Roads In North America

eatingupblacktop

I've been lucky to have driven some incredibly beautiful tours both in the US and here in Canada. Some of the roads are just plain scenic and make you relax and feel like you're just about flying. Others are hairy and have you gripping the wheel a little harder and sitting very upright with all your senses on full alert. They're adventures all. What roads have you driven that you would nominate as the best touring road in North America and what makes it "the best"?

I'll nominate Pacific Route US #1. The stretch from L.A. to Point Reyes Park across the bay from SanFran. Found out before I did the route that locals do it travelling north only and take the interstate back. The reason? Going north, you're on the inside lane. Going south you're on the outside lane right next to the edge of the cliffs.

Along the way, every so often, usually around one of the countless switchbacks, you see wrecks (some of them upside down) perched on the rocks at right about road level just before the long trip down. How they got there you can only speculate, but they sure make good sign posts about what can happen pretty quick on some sections of this road. I'll try and dig up a photo I have of one.

Once you settle down and get used to the dramatic extremes of this road, you can appreciate the magnificent view of the never ending ocean expanse against the jagged cliffs. Many places to stop along the way least of which are Carmel, Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove. The best scenic road I've driven on States side.

Here's a link that gives you a taste: http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2301/explore.html

I would like to travel US 1 someday. Looks to be a beautiful drive. B)

Well you'll certainlly have the right wheels for the trip. Just read about it. Congrats on getting the deal you wanted.

In 1967 my young bride and I drove from Los Angeles to St. Louis on historic Route 66 ......

On our honeymoon (2004) we drove down to Florida (in my 2001 ES) & one of the most scenic drives was the 7 mile bridge in the Florida Key's.....absolutely gorgeous.

There is an air base in there as well & we were lucky enough to have a fighter jet fly overhead during our drive.....that was awesome! B)

On our honeymoon (2004) we drove down to Florida (in my 2001 ES) & one of the most scenic drives was the 7 mile bridge in the Florida Key's.....absolutely gorgeous.

There is an air base in there as well & we were lucky enough to have a fighter jet fly overhead during our drive.....that was awesome! B)

being lucky enouph to live in Florida, I have driven that a few times. Very nice!! And what is also nice to do is drive to New Smyrna Beach and go out on the pier and watch the sun rise, then walk the beach and and eat breakfast on the boardwalk, drive 17 to Cape Coral and Naples area, eat dinner and watch the sun set all in the same day.A Wonderful time!!!

The Blue Ridge Parkway spanning the Appalachian Mountains across Virginia and North Carolina in late October when the leaves are at their peak. Gorgeous scenery combined with mountain twists and turns....

The OuterBanks of NC in the spring, from Virginia to Wilmington, is great! Ferry rides, wild horses, tons of flowers, great trip.

You can drive through Zion National Park Utah, it makes you appreciate nature without stepping out of your car! There's lots of stuff in Utah, it is worth a trip.

Around Lake Tahoe, this glacial lake up in the Sierra Nevada, winter or summer, need to do both!

US1, up the coast of Florida all the way. What will you see, beautiful beaches, the intercoastal, the most amazing yachts, people crossing the street in bathing suits (bikinis), amazing houses in Palm Beach like Trump's "social club" (used to be his home), Ivanka's home, the Kennedy estate, and other extremely famous families. You will also run into the oldest colonized city in all of North America in St. Augustine. I say start in the North Miami Beach/Ft Lauderdale area and drive north. Although, if you could start in Key West, you would see some of the places mentioned above like the 7-mile bridge. This trip would take quite some time.

The drive over the Makinac Bridge from the Lower Peninsula to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. Cross the Great Lakes!

being lucky enouph to live in Florida, I have driven that a few times. Very nice!! And what is also nice to do is drive to New Smyrna Beach and go out on the pier and watch the sun rise, then walk the beach and and eat breakfast on the boardwalk, drive 17 to Cape Coral and Naples area, eat dinner and watch the sun set all in the same day.A Wonderful time!!!

Been to Florida a few times. Daytona for the race, Orlando and Ft Lauderdale. Each time I wanted to hit the Keys. Regret that I didn't go for it. Next time for sure!

By far, the most scenic drive I've been on is the Road to Hana in Maui...the most breathtaking scenery everywhere you look. Also, there are some parts of I65 in Kentucky that have some decent looking mountainous sights (nothing spectacular by any stretch of the imagination, but decent stuff for an interstate).

Ok, well, actually, the most beautiful stretch of road has to be either Eagle Canyon Raceway or Jennings GP Raceway. Man I love those two tracks, In the spring, the sun is warm , the air is cool. the trees and the stands are a blurr as you wisk by at a 150+ mph, your heart jumps in your chest as you grap as much brake as you can to make the 52 degree turn rushing in your direction. I absolutely love walking down pit row at 5:30 in the morning. going from paddock to paddock, talking with friends and drinking some coffee. The sound of a few air tools, and the pings of wrenches hitting the ground. The smell of little propane stoves making breakfast's mixing with racing fuel and oil in the air as everyone is making every last preperation they can. And then after all the anticipations, and waiting, that first lap around the track, getting the engine warm, checking the brakes, making sure everything is good to go, as soon as you make that last mental check off, OH YEAH!!!

Highway to the sun in Glacier National Park, Montana. Really exciting and pretty.

People often say it's weird we'd buy a summer home in the Flathead Valley. But half way between Flathead Lake & Glacier is a big part of the reason why.

After being through the Hawian Islands, Europe, Grand Canyon, South America, it's still our 1st choice.

I tell ya, I had no idea this thread would turn out to be such a gold mine. I could spend the next 5 years with whatever vacation time I can find checking out all these fabulous tours. Thanks for all these tips and keep'm comin'. Some pics would be nice as well. I've got some of trips I took out east. I'll post some when I get some time to find them. Hey, LOC could publish a travel guide with all this info?

I tell ya, I had no idea this thread would turn out to be such a gold mine. I could spend the next 5 years with whatever vacation time I can find checking out all these fabulous tours. Thanks for all these tips and keep'm comin'. Some pics would be nice as well. I've got some of trips I took out east. I'll post some when I get some time to find them. Hey, LOC could publish a travel guide with all this info?

Here's a post with some of my Pacific NW pics: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry275846

A travel guide is a great idea! So many people in this forum have had great experiences - lots of info to share!