What If There Were No Lexus?

eatingupblacktop

Thought I'd post what I think could be a fun topic. We all know how great Lexus vehicles are and how much we love our rides. But, what if there were no Lexus? What would you be driving today and why? Lets hear your preferences.

I wouldn't miss Lexus one bit since I rarely drive my wife's RX330 crackerbox. She would probably be back in a Grand Cherokee Limited or perhaps a Mazda CX7 or Acura RDX. Me, I'll stay with my trusty 1999 Ram 5.9-litre V8 pick-up (now at just 49,800 miles) for as long as it remains pristine and trouble-free. That sucker just doesn't break - period. By far the easiest and most cost-effective vehicle to maintain that I've owned in more than 38 years of driving....

Actually if there were no Lexus the car industry would probably be pretty different. Lexus really had a huge impact on what we now see as luxury sedans. They mainstreamed the V8 in the affordable luxury sedan, they've had a huge impact on ergonomics across the whole industry (optitron gauges, smooth touch buttons). By creating more affordable vehicles that truly competed with MUCH more expensive vehicles from Mercedes and BMW they forced those manufacturers to find ways of reducing the cost of their vehicles...

Lexus has had a pretty big impact.

Actually if there were no Lexus the car industry would probably be pretty different. Lexus really had a huge impact on what we now see as luxury sedans. They mainstreamed the V8 in the affordable luxury sedan, they've had a huge impact on ergonomics across the whole industry (optitron gauges, smooth touch buttons). By creating more affordable vehicles that truly competed with MUCH more expensive vehicles from Mercedes and BMW they forced those manufacturers to find ways of reducing the cost of their vehicles...

Lexus has had a pretty big impact.

Good point SW.

I'd probably go with the Infiniti Q45, which I understand is a pretty nice car with power. I'm familiar with Nissan and they make good products.

I would not consider BMW or Mercedes. I've owned them both and both were money pits. I was just talking to someone yesterday who has a 99 740il and was complaining about having to put in a new trans; something I've not heard about with the same vintage LS.

If there were no Lexus available it would be a tough choice, but I would probably have to opt for the Tata Nano :whistles:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/10/what-2-...-nano-unveiled/

My dad was telling me about it. I personally think it is going to get beaten up so quickly in India and that the small engine won't be able to survive the load that typical families put on their cars there.

Anyways back to the original question, probably a toyota or honda.

I would buy a Toyota Celcius (spelling?) .... (same as the LS)... :D

Seriously, I would probably have a 91-92 Toyota Land Cruiser, 95-97 Toyota T100, 90-93 Toyota Celica, 92-94 Toyota Camry, 95-99 Toyota Avalon, 90-93 Honda Accord, if I were to buy another 90s car if the Lexus was never made. If it were a newer car I wanted, it would be a 00-08 Avalon.

OR the next closest thing to the Lexus... a Toyota Cressida. The only thing I do not like about the Cressida, is despite the fact the I-6 engines in these are smooth as silk, they have a bad rep for burning oil and blowing out headgaskets.

I would have gotten the Toyota Supra TT then. But if Toyota wasn't even in the picture, then I would have gone to the Acura TLS, or a Ford Mustang or Chevy 70 1/2 Camaro, maybe the 72, or get another Buick Grand National, and I like the vettes too. I like the Audi A/S 4 and A/S 6 also, but that would have been a tough choice with the 05 BMW 3 series. I like Nissan, but the 350 is too small, and I am not an Altima or maxima type ogf person, so maybe the G37. I haven't been a big Dodge fan, but the Chrysler 300 is very cool looking. And why doesn't Mitsubishi have a "Luxo line" also?

I could keep going,, I guess I just love cars. All of em..... :)