Buying Tow Hitch

Thanks for the post. Now I came apon something puzzling. When I do a search for the Tow Hitch going to various web sites it seems some are calling part # PT228-48045

a Class II and others are calling it a Class III. Does anyone have any insight to this? Do both exist or just one or the other?

Thanks for the post. Now I came apon something puzzling. When I do a search for the Tow Hitch going to various web sites it seems some are calling part # PT228-48045

a Class II and others are calling it a Class III. Does anyone have any insight to this? Do both exist or just one or the other?

Sewell's website says it is a Class II hitch: http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_detail.asp?id=87774

That sounds right.

I doubt that a relatively lightweight car like an RX would be suitable for the higher weights (6000 - 8000 pounds) that a Class III hitch supports. I noticed that the Sewell website lists a max towing weight of 2000 pounds for an RX350 unless the car is equipted with the factory tow prep package - then it is 3500 pounds.

IMO, the Lexus hitch and associated parts are well worth the higher cost compared to aftermarket hitches from companies like Draw-Tite. The Lexus hitch certainly looks better.

I have a class II receiver hitch on my current 00 LS400 and also had one on my first LS, a 1990. According to information Lexus publishes in other counties, my LS is also limited to towing 2000 pounds - unless it has a towing package which includes a transmission cooler.

Thanks for the information. I checked out the Sewells web site. Lots more information there. I am going with the Lexus Brand, just looking for a good price. Does anyone have any favorite online sites that they buy from?

Unfortunatly, Lexus/Toyota doesn't seem to supply their parts to just anyone. Try getting the Toyota part number (see my earlier post and link for this) and do a Google search. Also, you might take the part number into a Toyota dealer's parts department and see what you can get it for. They usually will even haggle the price a bit if that is your style.

Shipping costs are a nightmare so take that into account when looking at Inernet prices and local prices.

Make sure your RX has the towing package to reduce the possibility of transmission damage. It may not be necessary for a single jet ski but anything over that might be dicey in hilly terrain.

Thanks for the information. I checked out the Sewells web site. Lots more information there. I am going with the Lexus Brand, just looking for a good price. Does anyone have any favorite online sites that they buy from?

Unfortunatly, Lexus/Toyota doesn't seem to supply their parts to just anyone. Try getting the Toyota part number (see my earlier post and link for this) and do a Google search. Also, you might take the part number into a Toyota dealer's parts department and see what you can get it for. They usually will even haggle the price a bit if that is your style.

Shipping costs are a nightmare so take that into account when looking at Inernet prices and local prices.

Make sure your RX has the towing package to reduce the possibility of transmission damage. It may not be necessary for a single jet ski but anything over that might be dicey in hilly terrain.

Thanks for the info. I have been struggling with the internet searches for good prices and have also found the shipping cost to be ridiculous or another vendor wants to charge extra for the wiring harness or the ball mount or both. I have found lots of info here for the part I need. (PT228-48045)

I didn't think about checking with a Toyota dealer. The local Lexus dealer is charging 350.00. I do like to haggle though, so this maybe the best bet on good prices.

I do have the towing package and would like to put it to some use.

Check out " Hidden Hitch". I have one and it is great. I think I paid about $150 installed. I'm using it for a bike rack so the price doesn't reflect additional cost for wiring for lights, etc. It is very inconspiuious as the name implies. Good luck.

• 4 months later...
Check out " Hidden Hitch". I have one and it is great. I think I paid about $150 installed. I'm using it for a bike rack so the price doesn't reflect additional cost for wiring for lights, etc. It is very inconspiuious as the name implies. Good luck.

Any chance you could post a photos of what the hidden hitch looks like on your RX? I'd be interested in seeing the final product in place.

Thanks

J