Alternator Replacement

westnick

Hi,

I am new to the forum but a long time Lexus owner. I am in the process of replaceing the timing belt and the related items Water pump etc on my 2000 LX 470 at 106K. Does any one have an opinion on it it makes good sense to also replace the alternator at the same time.

Any insights would be apreciated.

Hi,

I am new to the forum but a long time Lexus owner. I am in the process of replaceing the timing belt and the related items Water pump etc on my 2000 LX 470 at 106K. Does any one have an opinion on it it makes good sense to also replace the alternator at the same time.

From my understanding (and I just had this exact work done on mine along with spark plugs and flushing out the system of carbon deposits, etc), the alternator isn't at all connected in to these other items, so I'd just hold off...

Hi,

You only need to replace the alternator when it dies (usually the brushes get worn). When this happens, the "charge" light in the dash will come on warning you that the ignition is running only on battery power. I just replaced the alternator on my '86 4runner. Original Denso alternator lasted 21 yrs! You only need to remove the serpentine belt for the alternator on the 100, so no real gain in labor savings. The serp belt should last around 60K mi or more (40-45K in AZ, closer to 90K in coastal CA).