Check Engine Light After Sludge Rebuild

clarksrj

My 1999 ES300 recently had the engine rebuilt due to the sludge problem. Before the rebuild no check engine codes were present. After the rebuild, the check engine light came on within 30 miles of service. I brought it back to the dealer and the dealer pulled these 2 codes P1133 and P1153 (Air/Fuel Bank 1 and 2 Sensor 1 malfuntions). They said the 2 Air/Fuel sensors needed to be replace. I find that hard to believe that these sensors coincidently went bad just after the rebuild. The dealer will not replace them for free or do any further diagnosis. I think they did not put something back together properly or damaged something in the rebuild. Does anyone know how I determine what the real cause of the problem is? Do you have any recommendations of reputable shops in the Alpharetta, GA area that I could take it to that would be able to determine the real cause of the problem?

My 1999 ES300 recently had the engine rebuilt due to the sludge problem. Before the rebuild no check engine codes were present. After the rebuild, the check engine light came on within 30 miles of service. I brought it back to the dealer and the dealer pulled these 2 codes P1133 and P1153 (Air/Fuel Bank 1 and 2 Sensor 1 malfuntions). They said the 2 Air/Fuel sensors needed to be replace. I find that hard to believe that these sensors coincidently went bad just after the rebuild. The dealer will not replace them for free or do any further diagnosis. I think they did not put something back together properly or damaged something in the rebuild. Does anyone know how I determine what the real cause of the problem is? Do you have any recommendations of reputable shops in the Alpharetta, GA area that I could take it to that would be able to determine the real cause of the problem?

Man, I :censored: hate it when a shop pulls the "coincidence" card! They know you usually have no way of proving conclusively that the new problem that mysteriously and immediately pops up was a result of their work, so they just shrug their shoulders and say, "Gee buddy, what a coincidence...tough luck". It has happened to me on more than one occasion. In my most recent case, I eventually had to get a second shop to fix the problems the first shop caused and so paid double what I should have paid. :chairshot:

I wish you luck...seriously.

Man, I :censored: hate it when a shop pulls the "coincidence" card! They know you usually have no way of proving conclusively that the new problem that mysteriously and immediately pops up was a result of their work, so they just shrug their shoulders and say, "Gee buddy, what a coincidence...tough luck". It has happened to me on more than one occasion. In my most recent case, I eventually had to get a second shop to fix the problems the first shop caused and so paid double what I should have paid. :chairshot:

Try going to this website http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/ They have mechanics for all model cars and these mechanics are mostly reliable. Good Luck

Man, I :censored: hate it when a shop pulls the "coincidence" card! They know you usually have no way of proving conclusively that the new problem that mysteriously and immediately pops up was a result of their work, so they just shrug their shoulders and say, "Gee buddy, what a coincidence...tough luck". It has happened to me on more than one occasion. In my most recent case, I eventually had to get a second shop to fix the problems the first shop caused and so paid double what I should have paid.:chairshot:

Try going to this website http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/ They have mechanics for all model cars and these mechanics are mostly reliable. Good Luck

On a related topic, my ES300 was showing the Check and TRAC OFF lights. I took it in and the garage said that 2 Oxygen sensors needed replacement. I had this done (very expensive) but the light still comes on!! Is there some ambiguity with the particular code P1133 and 1153?

P0133 and P0153 ?

P1133 and P1153 are air fuel ratio sensor malfunction codes..They serve the same purpose as an oxygen sensor but work al ittle differently..Whereas a high voltage reading would indicate a lean air/fuel mixure as opposed to an oygen sensor high voltage which would indicate a rich mixture..Hopefully your dealer attached the Freeze Frame Data retrieved from your ECM when pulling your codes..If you have it or have access to scan tool-- look at the A/F Voltage--A fixed reading of 3.30V indicates the sensor is dead and non-reactive.

These codes are two trip logic which basically means that the ecm has to see the fault 2 times in succession.(2 key cycles)...If the codes have been cleared and the light comes on immediately after you start the car--there is an open or short circuit..

Dealer-sludge motor-check engine light-air/fuel sensors----coincidence--well could be but without knowing the physical data one can only speculate...OK thats my 2 cents in a nutshell.....

Best wishes,

lexushead

ASE Master/L1

Toyota/Lexus Factory Certified Master

Man, I :censored: hate it when a shop pulls the "coincidence" card! They know you usually have no way of proving conclusively that the new problem that mysteriously and immediately pops up was a result of their work, so they just shrug their shoulders and say, "Gee buddy, what a coincidence...tough luck". It has happened to me on more than one occasion. In my most recent case, I eventually had to get a second shop to fix the problems the first shop caused and so paid double what I should have paid.:chairshot:

On a related topic, my ES300 was showing the Check and TRAC OFF lights. I took it in and the garage said that 2 Oxygen sensors needed replacement. I had this done (very expensive) but the light still comes on!! Is there some ambiguity with the particular code P1133 and 1153?

Make sure the person doing the repairs used OEM parts..O2 sensors and A/F sensor look identical but work quite differently...

Best wishes,

lexushead

ASE Master/L1

Toyota/Lexus Factory Certified Master

• 2 weeks later...
P0133 and P0153 ?

After I brought the car back from the dealer where they told me it would be 800+ to replace the 2 sensors, I said I would do it myself and I cleared the codes. It ran until just yesterday without a check engine light. The light came on again.

lexushead, just to give you a little background, I replaced the firewall side sensor about 3 years ago and the radiator side has never been replaced. I find if very had to believe that both sensors would fail at the same time. I am going to take it to a parts store to see if I can get the voltage. Is it possible that something else is going on that is causing those codes to trip?

• 2 weeks later...

After the last check engine light, I took the car to Autozone and now I have the P0171 code. Given the fact that there was a rebuild done on the engine, I am pretty sure the car must have an intake vacuum leak. I guess I will have to take it back to the dealer to have them find the leak.

Sounds like your screwed, I hate when they pull that crap. How did you originally know you had a sludge problem? Seems to me if an engine is so sludged it needs a rebuild you would have a check engine due to some emissions related problem. This place might be takin you for a ride man, an expensive one.

Sounds like your screwed, I hate when they pull that crap. How did you originally know you had a sludge problem? Seems to me if an engine is so sludged it needs a rebuild you would have a check engine due to some emissions related problem. This place might be takin you for a ride man, an expensive one.

The oil light came on, I took it to the dealer and they verified that it had the sludge problem. Lexus rebuilt the engine under their extended warranty program. I have had this check engine light problem since the rebuild. I think I have to prove to them now that they did not put it back together properly for them to fix it.

• 2 months later...

My car too had issues after my engine was rebuilt. Was it at the Peachtree Ind location? Becuause that is where I went and they wanted to charge me to check the engine again. My car was running well before they went and did the warranty work, now it consumes tons of oil...I hope you can get it resolved. I tried taking it to all of the dealerships to tell them that when I got my warranty work done, it wasn't done properly...but nothing so far. :angry: