Please Help Asap!

jcrome04

So long story short i had my mechanic replace the fuel filter in my 1997 LS400. and now the gas in my tank just pours out of some drain up front underneath the radiator. WHAT HAPPENED? If anyone has any info please help asap. :censored:

So long story short i had my mechanic replace the fuel filter in my 1997 LS400. and now the gas in my tank just pours out of some drain up front underneath the radiator. WHAT HAPPENED? If anyone has any info please help asap. :censored:

It sounds like your gas line is not connected. Does gas only come out when you try to start the car? That would be the fuel pump pushing it through. The spot it should be connected is very close to where you see gas coming out. Gas lines don't move very much. I'm guessing your car isn't at the service garage. Maybe the gas line was not connected correctly and vibrations from driving the car caused it to work loose. There should be a compression fitting on/near the open end of your gas line. Re-attach the line from where it came loose.

Yeah it's only when i turn the car on it pours out. turn it off and it drizzles to a stop. I'm thinking maybe he was wrenching around on it too hard or something and the line popped loose??:wacko: It's not far from the garage. I parked it at my detail shop... I'm taking it back tomorrow morning to let him deal with it just incase it's something major.............how depressing I've only had the car for almost a month :(

I forgot to say he also said it looked like the original filter and it was stuck on there pretty good..so hopefully it was just a fuel line yanked loose if thats even possible..............sssssttuuuuupppppiiiidddddddddd situation

oh....and another quick question way off topic but has been bugging me. I can't get my picture to show up over there by my name on my posts.. is there anythign special i need to do?

The overflow drain for the emissions charcoal canister is under the radiator, $10 says thats where the fuel is coming out. The EVAP system is only supposed to suck fumes from the gas tank. I am not sure whether a line connected in the wrong place on the fuel filter would allow the pump to push fuel through to the canister??? My 98 only has a feedline and a vacuum line to the top of the tank, not sure about the 97 but my 92 has a fuel return line to the tank. If these got crossed up it could possibly cause such a malfunction.

Yeah thats where it's coming from is the charcoal canister!! He mistakingly loosened one of the banjo fittings on the return line cause he thought it was the filter, then re-tightened it as soon as he realized it wasn't the filter! but other than that....he replaced the filter, there doesn't really seem like there's a way to get the lines crossed...unless there was some crap at the bottom of the tank and it got into the return line??? I started it up this morning and it didn't seem to be leaking so i drove it to him. there were no drips when i got there but when i was pulling in the tach had just started to dip a little like it was choking...hopefully this all gets sorted out today! :unsure:

He's a great mechanic too! Usd him for years and he's never messed anything up, and does amazing work. He feels horrible!!

Thank God for this forum or I'd probably be out of my mind right now! :rolleyes:

sorry for ANOTHER post! :whistles: But would it be possible he got a fuel filter for a 1st gen and the fuel filter for the 2nd gen looks the same but is a little different inside?? the fittings on both ends are different so it couldn't be on backwards.....or are they? If anyone knows which direction the filter faces, the pointier end points to the passenger side. . .or does anyone have a picture of the filter properly on a 2nd gen? A big thanks again to everyone!!

Ok so he checked out the filters and they look different inside he said, so he put the old filter back on and it still leaks out of the carbon canister. He's sending it to the local dealership on monday...just my luck to have a simple fuel filter change go so wrong! I'm assuming this is at no charge to me since everything was 100% before this mess...anyone else have any ideas or suggenstions?

I changed my fuel filter one week ago. Mine is located inside the fuel tank, behind the rear seat, driver's side. They had to remove the rear seats to get to it. I also replaced a canister which is located under, near the diffential and exhaust pipes. By the way, mine is LS400 year 2000 model.

I hope u get your car fixed soon. Best wishes and God Bless.

Nasser

Ok so he checked out the filters and they look different inside he said, so he put the old filter back on and it still leaks out of the carbon canister. He's sending it to the local dealership on monday...just my luck to have a simple fuel filter change go so wrong! I'm assuming this is at no charge to me since everything was 100% before this mess...anyone else have any ideas or suggenstions?

You mentioned he loosened the return line, then tightened it back up. Perhaps, the line was overtorqued or the thread might be stripped?

hmm....would that cause gas to be drained through the carbon canister???? It's going to the dealership on monday at his expense. This is all such a stupid situation! :chairshot: