Transmission problem -doesn't move forward, moves in reverse

h_shresta

Hello,

I have a 1992 es 300 sedan with 98k on it. I have a rebuilt transmission on my car and now my car doesn''t move forward and if I press the accelerator when gears are engaged(automatic). It makes a huge noise as though it is in neutral and the car does not move. Where as if I try to drive in reverse it drives rearward well. My question was, is it a problem with clutches or with gears? within the transmission. Please explain with all possiblities, Can any body tell Why this happens?

so I am not duped by a mechanic when I want to get it repaired. :(

Thank you.

Shresta

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear h_shresta,

This has happen to me on my prior vehicle a Toyota Camry. In layman's terms your transmission band is burned up. You will have to get your transmission rebuilt or have the warranty replacement. One of the things that may explain this is that such failures can be a side effect of a minor event, when ignored (or unaware of) in the long run. The transmission only kicks into Overdrive or 4th gear (the highest gear for your car) only when the engine temepature is above a certain threshold. When your thermostat goes bad in such a way that it is stuck in open then as the result the engine takes a wee bit longer to warm up abovethe threshold level and so when you drive short distances in cold weather you are esentially driving in low gears ....do this daily and over several months or perhaps a year or two you will have burnt your transmission. Ofcourse there could be other reasons for a transmission to burn up, but this is one way of doing it as well.

Good Luck. Do keep your eye on how long it takes your car to get up to normal operating temperature.