Another Tire Question

Hey to all, I am new to the board so forgive me if this has been asked before. I am getting new replacement tires for my 2002 GS300, which now has 225/55/16 Goodyear +4.... I want to change to a 225/60/16 for a higher sidewall and hopefully a softer ride.

The question is a person at the place I am buying the tires noted that what I want is a "T" rated tire instead of a "V" and they seem to think the vehicle won't ride right. Comments.....thanks, CSM-H

Hey to all, I am new to the board so forgive me if this has been asked before. I am getting new replacement tires for my 2002 GS300, which now has 225/55/16 Goodyear +4.... I want to change to a 225/60/16 for a higher sidewall and hopefully a softer ride.

The question is a person at the place I am buying the tires noted that what I want is a "T" rated tire instead of a "V" and they seem to think the vehicle won't ride right. Comments.....thanks, CSM-H

The original tires would have been "V" rated. If your looking for better ride and longer tread life a "T" rated might not be a bad idea. Typically the higher the speed rating the lower the tread life. Higher speed rated tires are "performance" tires and smooth ride is sacrificed for performance and handling.

Thanks for the reply, I do understand the V vs T part for ride etc; I was hoping that someone could answer the question of, Is the suspension specifically tuned for V rated tires and anything less being a problem as I am being led to believe. CSM-H

The original tires would have been "V" rated. If your looking for better ride and longer tread life a "T" rated might not be a bad idea. Typically the higher the speed rating the lower the tread life. Higher speed rated tires are "performance" tires and smooth ride is sacrificed for performance and handling.

Yes, the car calls for V rated tires which have much stiffer side walls if you get H or T rated you will experience a shake in the steering whell like I did.

I do believe the sport tuned supension needs the V rated tires to perform properly.

JT

Yes, the car calls for V rated tires which have much stiffer side walls if you get H or T rated you will experience a shake in the steering whell like I did.

I do believe the sport tuned supension needs the V rated tires to perform properly.

JT

Why would H or T rated tires cause a steering wheel shake? The Exalto's I recommended to you a few threads back don't shake on my LS - and they are H rated. All those letters are is a speed rating after all. Why folks believe they involve safety, or ride quality, or even handling, at low speeds (legal speeds anyways) is beyond me.

This topic has been discussed at length in the past, and as has happened in the past I will no doubt be flamed or criticized for these views. Oh well.

JT

Why would H or T rated tires cause a steering wheel shake? The Exalto's I recommended to you a few threads back don't shake on my LS - and they are H rated. All those letters are is a speed rating after all. Why folks believe they involve safety, or ride quality, or even handling, at low speeds (legal speeds anyways) is beyond me.

This topic has been discussed at length in the past, and as has happened in the past I will no doubt be flamed or criticized for these views. Oh well.

BTW Thanks SRK for the recommendation I really do appreciate it.

The experience I had recently caused me to feel this way,

I had Continentals which were T rated and than Goodyear Assurance which were H both made the wheel shake. When I went with the correct V rated tires the Exaltos you recommended gone no shake. This would lead me to believe there has to be a correlation?

I am by no means an expert but will say that the V rated Exaltos I now run have completely fixed the problem.

Don't want to argue just my findings.

JT

I understand completely. Continentals have had a reputation for poorly centered belts and separating belts, and those caused vibrations at all speeds. Many tire brands have had belt failures - Firestone is the most famous lately. I don't doubt for a minute that you experienced vibration caused by the tire itself; my thinking is that it was caused by a tire carcass problem rather than a speed rating, that's all.

I was at Costco this afternoon having them re-balance some Goodrich Traction TA's I bought for my beat-around car - an old Volvo - and I wish I had paid the extra to get Michelins, because although the TA's do have excellent traction, they are jiggly, darty, and tough to balance. Costco won't take them back of course unless I can show "faults" in them, which I can't really.

I've never had a bad Michelin.....glad you like the Exaltos. The tire guys at Costco tell me they sell lots of them, and never, ever, have complaints about them.

:cheers:

Hey SRK,

I gues the carcass being faulty would make more sense than a speed rating.

Thats what I love about this site, the ability to discuss issues like this with educated people and find solutions.

Have a great weekend and Cheers to you also.

JT

I have a glass of scotch next to me as I write this. The weekend is here!

Of all the boards I am a member of, this is by far the best. One of the Volvo boards I visit is truly nasty, and many members are openly hostile, and there are few if any moderators to control them. The moderators here are the best too.

Have a great weekend too JT!

God Bless SRK,

Guys like us make the world go round.

I can honestly say I look forward to new GS posts on this site every time I log on, I am a very loyal person when it comes to my Family and my Lex.

Peace my Friend,

JT