30k Mile Service - Why Is It Necessary To Replace The Brake Fluid?

On the 30K mile service, it says to replace the brake fluid...why is that necessary. I have never heard of doing this on any car. My dealer wants $502.00 to do this 30K service and I am going to do everything I can myself and then take it in for the rest.

Also, does anyone have a website that I can go to and get a list of the TSB's for a 2006 IS350? I know that there are several posts with a link for this side, but when I click the link it shows an error on the page. I have also tried a google search.

Thanks for the help.

As they said, water in the brake lines is a bad thing. The cost of changing brake fluid is minimal compared to the cost of replacing an ABS modulator due to corrosion.

I'm not sure how they change the fluid though - do they actually pump it out through the tubes at the caliper? How else could they really get it out of the lines?

that is a real hefty price for a 30k service. Brake fluid must be changed every 2 years or earlier depending on some manufactures. As stated above brake fluid is hydroscopic meaning the fluid actually absorbs moisture over time and moisture is defenitely not a good thing in a braking system.

On the 30K mile service, it says to replace the brake fluid...why is that necessary. I have never heard of doing this on any car. My dealer wants $502.00 to do this 30K service and I am going to do everything I can myself and then take it in for the rest.

Also, does anyone have a website that I can go to and get a list of the TSB's for a 2006 IS350? I know that there are several posts with a link for this side, but when I click the link it shows an error on the page. I have also tried a google search.

Thanks for the help.

High I saw your post on brake fluid. Brake Fluid is water soluable (it breaks down in water) any moisture in the fluid will break the fluid down and with anti lock braking systems in today cars there are electrical sensors the fluid comes in contact with. If the fluid is not changed out it can absorb enough moisture that it can cause corrosion to the anti lock sensors and those parts get real expansive real fast. The fluid should be changed by pressure flushing the system at each wheel. By opening the bleeders you might keep from needing new calipers when brakes are replaced and caliper bleeder screws brake off. It sounds expensive to flush the system but hopefully this will help you understand why it is needed. As with all the services performed you really need to understand that by doing these services these cars will never die and failed parts are fairly rare. Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help.

Are TSP's free of charge, or is there some charge with them?