Interfering Or Not

Im reading different things about the '92's non-vvti 4.0L V8 engine as to rather or not it is interference or non-interferences. I've read on here that as long as its not the vvti (96 and up) that its non-interference but went to my local lexus dealer and they said that it is for sure interference but the people on here sound more sure about it than he did, its just the fact that he said for sure that just keep me uneased about the right answer maybe someone else can tell me the truth about as i really need to know!

it is non as it has no vvt

I ditto SK's answer..it is NOT a interference model..I think ONLY the 95-97 models were if my memory serves me right...good luck

LS400 = 95 and up

SC400 = 96 and up

VVTi available from 1998 and on in both models.

92-94 SC400's and LS400's motors are the stoutest Lexus/Toyota motors made to date...In other words they are built stronger then all the newer V8 Lexus and Toyota motors which means they also may last the longest...... Hey, Dave (lextreme) what's up?...Didn't know you posted on this forum...

I check in every now and then....

92-94 SC400's and LS400's motors are the stoutest Lexus/Toyota motors made to date...In other words they are built stronger then all the newer V8 Lexus and Toyota motors which means they also may last the longest...... Hey, Dave (lextreme) what's up?...Didn't know you posted on this forum...

I check in every now and then....

So you argee that its non-interfering???

I really don't know the difference between a interferring motor and non...If it's when the VVti kicks in then it is 98....

What is interferring with the motor? Is it compression, or the VVti that makes a motor interferring as apposed to non... I am lost on that term and should know it...

interference means that if the timing belt snaps while you are driving it will ruin your valves and youll need an engine rebuild (long explination short) while non-interference means that when the timing belt snaps it just shuts the car off and once you get the timing belt fixed, everything is fine, nothing ruinned and no rebuild needed.

Well with that being said we sure don't want those timing belts to snap then on these earlier year Lexus/Toyota motors of ours....

What do you mean? Do you know the answer? Everyone on here says the earlier v8's without VVT-i are non-interference (meaning that the car just shuts down and nothing internally messes up) but it the later model v8's with VVT-i that are interference (meaning if it snaps your screwed). Its the mechanic at the Lexus dealership that worried me as he said they defenitly are interference but he also really didnt give it any thought kind of like i could of asked about any toyota and he would of said the same for all of them. Please answer what you think or what you know!

I do not know the answer... I do know if my 92 SC4 timing belt snaps there will be damage...That is all I know....

I would like to know more about this...Like I said this is the one topic I cannot speak intellegently about...

I do not know the answer... I do know if my 92 SC4 timing belt snaps there will be damage...That is all I know....

I would like to know more about this...Like I said this is the one topic I cannot speak intellegently about...

I actually think you are wrong Jibby. Only because I asked the same question awhile back and more than one person said it was non-interference. It just means that there's enough clearance that the piston won't hit a valve in any scenario, given a normal valvetrain setup.

This however, is based on other forum viewer's replies to me when I asked the same question, so they could be wrong too. Damage from the timing belt flying around loose after it breaks could happen in any case I do believe though.