Update To Nav

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a 2002 ES and the navigation data is back from 2001. I would really like to update it but dealer price is too much. Is there any legal way to obtain these DVDs at a low cost?

Same here. I bought 2002 ES300 recently. Looking for Nav update dvd.

I downloaded it in a bit torrent file and put it on a dual layer dvd

• 1 month later...
is installing this as easy as swapping out the discs? it was on my 03 camry but on my father's LS430 it requred dealer attention after i attempted to do the swap.

Yes. The upgrade simply requires swapping the disc. When you install the new one, a loading screen will pop up telling you that it is doing its' thing.

It is important to ensure you are using the correct generation disc for the year/model of your car.

if i install the 6.1, is it possible to go back to 4.1 if it doesn't work for some reason?

Yes, but it is not as automated.

When you put the old disc back in you have to do one of a couple things to get it to reload:

1. Pull the correct fuse for the Nav system for a couple minutes. (in my case, it is Radio1 fuse under the hood)

or if you cannot locate the correct fuse,

2. Remove the positive terminal from your battery for a couple minutes. This has the added "benefit" of resetting all your saved settings :(

Good Luck! Let me know if I can help further.

if i install the 6.1, is it possible to go back to 4.1 if it doesn't work for some reason?

Yes, but it is not as automated.

When you put the old disc back in you have to do one of a couple things to get it to reload:

1. Pull the correct fuse for the Nav system for a couple minutes. (in my case, it is Radio1 fuse under the hood)

or if you cannot locate the correct fuse,

2. Remove the positive terminal from your battery for a couple minutes. This has the added "benefit" of resetting all your saved settings :(

Good Luck! Let me know if I can help further.

well i wasn't paying attention when he was doing it but he had the car on, took the old disc out and inserted the new one. were we supposed to do all this while the car was off? it did an update then "disc is dirty" kept flashing. what to do now?

Leaving the car on for the upgrade from 4.1 to 6.1 is fine. It should update as soon as you insert the new disc.

If the disc reads dirty, it either needs buffing out, or it is not OEM and is a bad burn. Bad burns are common on these DL DVDs.

Is the 6.1 disc OEM?

Leaving the car on for the upgrade from 4.1 to 6.1 is fine. It should update as soon as you insert the new disc.

If the disc reads dirty, it either needs buffing out, or it is not OEM and is a bad burn. Bad burns are common on these DL DVDs.

Is the 6.1 disc OEM?

Buffing out? Literally buff it? No I was told it was a good Verbatim DL DVD.

Sorry for the confusion. Cleaning maybe is a better term? If the disc were OEM, I was thinking maybe the disc is scratched and not reading correctly. Cleaning the disc could possibly help in that case.

The only time I have had the problem you are having was when I was using memorex discs and the player didn't like it. The drive was definitely seeking a lot for data, would not allow me to select a region, and the display would say something about a dirty disc.

Random thoughts:

- I have also read where several popular torrents have been bad rips and they don't work when the ISO is burned. Dont know (or even want to know!) if that applies or not. Just info.

- The other possible issue if you have the Gen 2/3 system is a known problem where the laser starts to get weak. There is a thread on here somewhere talking about possible solutions including sending the unit to a place in New York to have the drive guts updated. Again, that may or may not apply, especially because the old disc is working fine. A weak laser may possibly have issue with anything less than a perfect burn tho.