Instrument Cluster Issues

FATTY

Hello, I'm a new user with quite a few questions so please bare with me.

I own a 1995 ES300. For a while now, the tachometer does not register the speed I am going and the odometer doesn't record the distance I am travelling. I do see my RPM's when rev'd. The check engine light is on along with the ABS and odometer light. My AC also isn't cold, at all.

Please help. Thanks.

My turn signals are also blinking rapidly but I made a search and found a solution in another post in which I will try later.

EDIT; I put in new bulbs for the cluster back light. Everything shows when headlights are on but when off during the day, only half the cluster lights up.

Why?

Hello, I'm a new user with quite a few questions so please bare with me.

I own a 1995 ES300. For a while now, the tachometer does not register the speed I am going and the odometer doesn't record the distance I am travelling. I do see my RPM's when rev'd. The check engine light is on alone with the ABS and odometer light. My AC also isn't cold, at all.

Please help. Thanks.

My turn signals are also blinking rapidly but I made a search and found a solution in another post in which I will try later.

I havent dealt with this on my es yet, but with my 94 celica GT I've had the same recurring problem. There should be a sensor on the transmission that controls your speedometer/odometer. Whether that sensor is bad or the wiring to it is bad, I cannot say.

If your ac is not cold then its best to get a leak test done on your cooling system. Sometimes it can be a cheap fix like a schrader (sp?) valve not seating completely, but who knows. With my luck its usually a compressor :chairshot:

And the turn signal thing sounds like you have a bulb out, which causes it to blink twice as fast.

Im not quite following you but ill try to help. The Tachometer,s job is to register the RPM's of the engine which is done electronically as there is no cable connected to the instrument cluster. The tach has nothing to do with speed. The Spedometer guage indicates speed, combined with the tach give speed as well as engine rpm, give the indications of your engine's workload and what its taking for your vehicle to move. The odometer records distance travelled wheter its miles or kilometers. If your odometer is not working there may be a problem with the instrument cluster.

Before you remove anything !!! see if you can change the view of the odometer by pressing the odometer/trip button. If you can change between odometer, trip1 and trip two, there is nothing wrong with that part and you odometer is still not recording your miles/km's travelled the problem will be with either your sensor on the tranny or the instrument cluster. Also check to see if the trip is recording the miles/km's travelled. If the trip is and the odometer isint it wont be the tranny sensor and will be a problem with the instrument cluster. If neither are working it may be the instrument cluster and/or the tranny sensor. troubleshoot to fine the defective component and replace/repair as necessary.

Remove the black plastic bezel housing and check the connector on the right side of the bezel to see if its connected. This connectoris part of the instrument cluster wire harness and you will see it is located at the right bottom corner of the instrument cluster prior to removal. That connector controls the trip reset to allow you to change between the trip 1 and 2 and odometer views. If it is connected further troubleshooting may be needed. Depending on your level of expertise with componet removel you may want to remove the instrument cluster or have somone else to check the cable between the daughterboards.

If you take the instrument cluster out of the dash (Look for guide in forum) there are two boards. The plastic cover on the back of the instrument cluster comes off with removing seven screws. once removed you see a daughterboard. holding the cluster looking at the rear of the cluster you will see a cable connector on the daughterboard that is at the bottom left. That cable provides the signals for the odometer, make sure the cable is seated properly, if it is there is a problem with the daughterboard and you may have to seek professional help.

Good luck

if you need more assistance let me know.