Seafoam

aarman4

Hey guys,

I cannot find Seafoam anywhere that bI have looked, and have never heard of it outside of the Lexus Forums.... An internet search brings up many different shades of carpet and curtains from the 70's, but I am having alot of trouble finding anything on this chemicl.....

I am in Canada, so maybe they don;t sell it here??

Anywaone got some links, pics, or some more info on it for me, or even a place to look for buying it??? Maybe there is some form of equivalent out there?

Help me out guys and gals!

thanks guys! Hope my local (45 minute drive away) NAPa dealer carries it, Crappy tire had no clue what I was asking about out here, but they aren;t too bright there either anyhow...

Do you guys use it regularly on a timed/km'd schedule, or just when you feel the need due to engine performance?

(I imagine it is the 'motor treaatment' prduct that everyone uses)

I use it before an oil change twice a year.

Call the napa first to see if they stock it as napa Canada does sell it now. It is $5 in the USA and over priced here.

If I were you I might try and order a container from the states .

[i looked at the MSDS sheets and it seems pretty basic, there must be a copycat or other product aroud that is very similar though.... How much do you use per treatment?

i work for NAPA auto parts and we sell it.....what r u going ot use it for? its terrible for your catalytic converter, if u r wanting to clean injectors use redline

It would seem that alot of people here use it to keep there engines tip top and clean, that was what I was thinking, being that i am still new to the car, as it is to me, i like to get it in the best condition possible...... Perhaps dropping the cat and doing it is a better idea?

Hope your neighbors are cool, because if your drop those cats and rev that engine during a seafoam treatment, you're going to rattle every window within a 1000 feet! I haven't heard that it's bad on the cats, but it would make sense. Seafoam burns off residue in the engine, but I'm sure some of it doesn't burn off and goes into the cats in chunks. I ran it in mine twice with zero problems, and fantastic results. Do a search for "seafoam" to see the proceedure process. It takes about a cup, pulled in through the brake booster line. Since you're aiming to get it in tip-top shape, I'd have some new plugs ready too, but don't put them in before the seafoam, as the stuff has been known to foul a plug or two... Use the ones in there now...seafoam it...then change the plugs. I also recommend searching for "throttle body cleaning" too, so you can see how to clean the butterfly opening and intake housing. If it were me, I'd do that first, then seafoam, then new plugs...and you should be quite happy with the results. I know in my 95', after I did this stuff for the first time "summer time", the fall came, the air cooled, and that thing was faster than grease lightening, especially on the highway. I noticed a nice change right after I did it, but really noticed a few weeks later when the air cooled down.

yeah, I am plannig on the throttle body cleaning, I have found plenty on it..... As far as the cats and the noise, I am not too worried, there are only about 1000 people within a 3 minute drive of my town in total...(Rural Manitoba)....

TipTop yes, and thanks for the advice on doing the throttle body first... Going to do the new plugs, timing belt, wires, rotors... all that wonderful stuff in the meantime while I wait for the lease to expire on my other car. Already replaced the brakes and rotors all the way around, climate control, fixed the sunroof(relay), added the new antennae to the radio, new front balljoints, O2 sensors, and of course various lights of various sizes for various locations......

It is in no way bad for the cats that is just someones bad rumour. If it somehow did dislodge large chucks of carbon then the cats would heat up and burn them off. At that point seafoam is the least of your worried if you have chunks of anything in the engine. I have run seafoam atleast 8 times and i passed 3 months ago with original cats show extremely low nox and zero CO .

Use half in the engine intake and the rest in 1/2 a tank of gas.

Bought my Seafoam today, $12.95 a bottle at NAPA in Brandon MB(ouch), I thought of buying the big tin for future use as well, but I didn;t have the $85 on me, lol... DeepCreep was also $12 a bottle.

Has anyone ever used or have direct experience with their transmission treatment?