90k Service Question..

houser

Hey there!

I had the 90K mile service done on my lexus rx300 at the lexus dealership back in march. I paid $1300 for it as well as an additional $60 for a drive belt change and another $200 for a transmission flush. My check engine light came on the other day, so I took it in. The dealership called me about 30 minutes later to tell me the light was on because I didn't tighten my gas cap all the way. They then informed me of an incidental finding. Apparently my idler pulley(s) are worn down and need to be replaced. They quoted me $500 and told me that that was with 'reduced' labor. I asked them why the pulleys weren't checked when they changed my timing belt in march. They told me that the pulley's are encased and very difficult to get to. Should they have checked them? I also don't understand how they were able to discover they were worn down in 30 minutes if they are so hard to get to. Is there an error code that comes up?? could they have tightened them too much when they changed my belt back in march causing them to wear down? I'm clueless when it comes to cars. Any information would be much appreciated!

thanks so much,

heidi :)

Hey there!

I had the 90K mile service done on my lexus rx300 at the lexus dealership back in march. I paid $1300 for it as well as an additional $60 for a drive belt change and another $200 for a transmission flush. My check engine light came on the other day, so I took it in. The dealership called me about 30 minutes later to tell me the light was on because I didn't tighten my gas cap all the way. They then informed me of an incidental finding. Apparently my idler pulley(s) are worn down and need to be replaced. They quoted me $500 and told me that that was with 'reduced' labor. I asked them why the pulleys weren't checked when they changed my timing belt in march. They told me that the pulley's are encased and very difficult to get to. Should they have checked them? I also don't understand how they were able to discover they were worn down in 30 minutes if they are so hard to get to. Is there an error code that comes up?? could they have tightened them too much when they changed my belt back in march causing them to wear down? I'm clueless when it comes to cars. Any information would be much appreciated!

thanks so much,

heidi :)

Heidi, I just changed the timing belt & timing belt idler pulleys on my wife's 99 RX 300 which has 81, 866 miles on it. Your experience with the Lexus dealership matches those I have had with two separate dealerships. They are an interesting mix of incompetence and dishonesty. But, they do give you free coffee and cookies!

If they did, in fact, replace your timing belt, both pulleys were exposed and could have easily been inspected. However, you can not accurately predict the life of idler pulley bearings with a visual inspection. These pulleys have sealed bearings. Signs of looming failure are: (1) radial streaks of grease, (2) excessive play, (3) noise or (4) rough spots. If you had none of these signs, it is unlikely that your idler pulleys failed on their own 9 months after Lexus worked on it. Even if these pulleys were inspected and looked good, Lexus should have discussed the desirability of changing them because they could likely fail before you need another timing belt. They should have also discussed this very point with you about the water pump, crankcase front seal and camshaft seals. Getting to the pulleys to replace them will require the exact same labor that it takes to replace a timing belt.

I changed the idler pulleys on my wife's car because I had already bought them. However, I could hardly tell the difference in play between the new and old pulleys.

You are right, I don't see how they knew your idler pulleys were bad unless they "thought" they could hear them. They could have removed the top timing cover relatively easily and checked the top idler pulley with a stethoscope but I doubt it. However, to check the tensioner (lower) idler pulley would have required major disassembly. Sounds like a total scam to me.

To properly replace a timing belt, you should remove the hydraulic tensioner to inspect it. My guess is that they tried to save time by clamping the tensioner idler pulley against the hydraulic tensioner and somehow damaged the tensioner idler pulley. However, like we said above, I don't know how they could determine the tensioner pulley was bad wihout major disassembly.

Bottom line is this: if you can't do the work yourself, be prepared to get cheated by Lexus.

• 3 weeks later...

Find an independent Toyota mechanic. Mine charged me $450 for timing belt, waterpump, serpentine belt and new coolant. 40,000 mile since that service and it runs perfect.