Carpet Soaked/help!

I have a 2004 ES 330. I made the mistake of having a large drink cup full of tea in the cup holder. I came up on a stop light which changed abruptly. I stopped to avoid running through the light and the cup pitched forward spilling all of the contents onto the front passenger floor. I have tried to remove as much as I can with my vacuum but it is still pretty wet under the carpet.

I understand that there is a floor drain which can be removed under the car. Anyone know how to remove it?

Also, I would like to pull the carpet up so that I can get to the underside. How can I remove the carpet without damaging it?

Any other suggestions for dealing with this spill?

I am not sure about the floor drain will really help. The water tends to spread in all directions of the spill until all gets soaked up.

You can remove the carpet by removing the plastic rail guards along the door frame and then slowly lift the carpet. You might run into other obstacles that also have to be removed. However, the carpet comes in one big piece, so it will be difficult to actually remove it and tack it back down w/carpet staples.

One way is to just use a vacuum to suck as much water and then use a hot iron to dry as much as you can. Don't use a steam iron, just adds insults to injuries.

If you see stains, use some Goo Gone.

I am not sure about the floor drain will really help. The water tends to spread in all directions of the spill until all gets soaked up.

You can remove the carpet by removing the plastic rail guards along the door frame and then slowly lift the carpet. You might run into other obstacles that also have to be removed. However, the carpet comes in one big piece, so it will be difficult to actually remove it and tack it back down w/carpet staples.

One way is to just use a vacuum to suck as much water and then use a hot iron to dry as much as you can. Don't use a steam iron, just adds insults to injuries.

If you see stains, use some Goo Gone.

I have thought some more about this. If I can lift up the edge of the carpet starting at the door and remove the padding underneath it, then I can dry the padding out. The padding seems to have absorbed most of the liquid.

How do I remove the plastic rail guards? How is the padding held in place under the carpet? Can I remove the padding without damaging it?

First off, the carpeting is not stapled to the floor. For the most part it is just held in place by the various mouldings that cover its outside edges. The only fasteners you may find could be plastic plugs that go through the carpeting, the padding, and into an opening in the firewall higher up under the dash, the bolts that hold the seatrails onto the floor, or the seatbelt anchors next to the centre console. The padding underneath may be glued to the metal floor to keep it from moving. In your case the moulding at the door floor opening just pulls up. Use a taped up blade on a flat bladed screw driver (so it won't scratch the paint) and pry it up starting at one end. It has moulded plugs that just snap into holes all along the top of the rocker panel. Where the moulding goes part way up the front of the door opening it just pulls straight out. You should be able to pull that one out just with your hand. In fact that may be the place to start from in removing it. The front kick panel will have to come out since it sits on top of the carpeting as well. Its most likely just in with as few as 3 screws or push plugs. If I were you, I wouldn't take the car any farther apart than just those 2 mouldings. With that much done you should be able to pull enough of the carpeting up to be able to jam in 2 or 3 pieces of wood about 6 to 8 inches tall, leaving the carpet gapping open at the door. Disconnect the car battery overnight (to keep from killing the battery), place a fan in the door opening to exhaust under the carpet, and it should be dry by morning and be ready to put back down in place. After that you can shampoo it to remove any stains down the road. Good Luck!