How To Change The Remote's Battery

Does anyone know how to change the battery in the remote for the 2006 GS 300? My brilliant service manager told me to use a Phillips screwdriver to get at the battery, and go to Radioshack for a replacement, but there is NO screw. I am afraid to pry it apart. The dealership is now closed, and of course will be busy Monday. Help!

Does anyone know how to change the battery in the remote for the 2006 GS 300? My brilliant service manager told me to use a Phillips screwdriver to get at the battery, and go to Radioshack for a replacement, but there is NO screw. I am afraid to pry it apart. The dealership is now closed, and of course will be busy Monday. Help!

The dealer told you to use the wrong type of screwdriver...and you do have to pry.

1. Take out the mechanical key from your fob.

2. Put a flat head screwdriver into the inset space...just inside of the mechanical key slot....and turn it. This will pry open the fob.

3. Remove the old battery and replace with a new CR1632 battery..positive side facing up.

4. Replace the cover of the fob by first pressing on the bottom then the top (The top is the side where the mechanical key is inserted)

--Duckman

• 8 months later...

This step-by-step works perfectly! I inserted the screwdriver just about 1/4 inch into the key slot and was able to pry the fob right apart. Thanks for the help, you saved me a a trip to the dealer.

The dealer told you to use the wrong type of screwdriver...and you do have to pry.

1. Take out the mechanical key from your fob.

2. Put a flat head screwdriver into the inset space...just inside of the mechanical key slot....and turn it. This will pry open the fob.

3. Remove the old battery and replace with a new CR1632 battery..positive side facing up.

4. Replace the cover of the fob by first pressing on the bottom then the top (The top is the side where the mechanical key is inserted)

--Duckman

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Don't even need a screw driver. Just use the tip of the mechanical key. Thanks for the info Duckman!

Crazy, the remote battery should still be under warranty and you shouldn't have to go to Radio Shack to buy one or change it yourself. Both of my batteries have died and the dealer has changed them both while I was waiting for my oil change. My GS is the same year as yours. I know the post is old but maybe someone else will read it with the same problem.

• 2 weeks later...
any Lexus dealer will replace it for free.

I was charge $15 at the only lexus dealer in las vegas.

....wow.

People, do this:

1.) Go to Fry's, Radio Shack, walmart, target, etc. and grab a CR1632 battery. I paid a whopping $1.49.

2.) Pop open the keyfob my pulling out the metal key, sticking it in the keyhole in the keyfob and turn it.

3.) Pull the little circuit board out, pop out the battery by pushing the teeth that hold it in

4.) Pop in new battery, fit circuit board back into keyfob (it's dummy proof), and snap the keyfob back closed.

It's easier than Sunday morning.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have a 2007 LS460. The remote is enclosed in a leather case and I don't see how it can be removed to click it open. The owner's manual shows the same instructions a s in this post.

I have a 2007 LS460. The remote is enclosed in a leather case and I don't see how it can be removed to click it open. The owner's manual shows the same instructions a s in this post.

I have Lexus brand leather cases on both of my GS key fobs. Just ease fob out of the leather case. It is a tight fit but one end is open and the fob will slip out. Then follow the instructions as pictured in the manual or stated in this thread.

steviej

I have Lexus brand leather cases on both of my GS key fobs. Just ease fob out of the leather case. It is a tight fit but one end is open and the fob will slip out. Then follow the instructions as pictured in the manual or stated in this thread.

steviej

Was able to remove the remote from the case and then the battery replacement was easy.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hope this how-to video helps someone :whistles: