96 Ls 400 Alarm Question

jasonmckinley

all-

i have a 96 ls 400 that just got broken into- someone broke my driver side rear window. just curious if this caused my alarm to go off or if the alarm is only triggered by someone trying to unlock the door(s). i'm debating if i should get an after-market alarm put on to protect against this if it should happen again. thanks for any feedback-

all-

i have a 96 ls 400 that just got broken into- someone broke my driver side rear window. just curious if this caused my alarm to go off or if the alarm is only triggered by someone trying to unlock the door(s). i'm debating if i should get an after-market alarm put on to protect against this if it should happen again. thanks for any feedback-

Sorry to hear about your break-in :(

I don't know about 96' but in my 90' the factory alarm system only activates when the hood/trunk or door are opened. It does not have any other kind of protection such as glass break, microwave or shock sensors. I think it was designed more as just a "anti-theft" system - to discourage would be thiefts by sounding the horn and disabling the ignition....not to protect the insides of the car. I have just recently installed an aftermarket alarm/remote start in my car and it does have a shock sensor but not a glass break sensor...so I may just buy the extra sensor and try to incorporated in my new system. In your case even if you had an aftermarket alarm with no glass break sensor....someone could still have broken into your car go in through the window and take whatever they wanted without setting the alarm....unless your shock sensor is set to super sensitive but then it would just go off everytime a car drove by so most of the time it is set towards a medium levels no so sensitive.....that's why they have glass break sensors. You may even want to go all the way and get a microwave sensor too, that way even with the windows open the alarm will sound if someone even puts their hand in through the window. Now, not all alarm systems have these capabilities, so check with the local alarm shop to see what options you have...I would recommend brands such as Clifford and Viper.