Starter For 96 Lexus Es300

golffnutt

I need to replace the starter on my 96 ES300 and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the 96 Camry starter is the same as the 96 ES300 starter? Reason, I figure the Camry starter might be a little cheaper than the Lexus if they are indeed the same starter. Your reply will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a great evening.

PS - Can someone tell me where the starter is located on the engine? Thank you.

Golffnutt

Does the starter try but not kick in? If so you might try this: http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/instructions.html

Thank you for the reply lenore. What happens is when I turn the key nothing happens. If I keep turning the key 9-10 time very rapidly it will finally start if I catch it just right. Thanks for the link, any idea where I can buy the contacts and plunge? Thanks very much for your help.

I have been told they even sell those parts at Toyota, the phone number is on that site I sent you. apparantly their contacts are heavier than the standard toyota part. The other way is go and get the solenoid assembly which would replace the contacts and the solenoid that throws the gear into the flywheel.

I have been told they even sell those parts at Toyota, the phone number is on that site I sent you. apparantly their contacts are heavier than the standard toyota part. The other way is go and get the solenoid assembly which would replace the contacts and the solenoid that throws the gear into the flywheel.

Thank you lenore. I will look into your suggestion. Do you by chance know where the starter is located my car? Have a great evening and thanks a million for your help.

I suspect it is located on the front left side, on top of the transmission. But I dont have an ES and I am not sure how similar it is to my RX300 engine.

I was having the same problem on our 94 ES several months ago. It would sometimes take as many as 8-10 on and off turns of the ignition key before the car would start. There was none of the clicking sound you get with a weak battery.

I first checked the individual cells of the battery and found that one cell was weak. The battery was still under full replacement warranty at Sam's Club, so I got a new battery and installed it. This did not solve the problem. I then ordered a starter relay and installed it. This, too, did not solve the problem. This left the solenoid and/or the starter itself as the problem.

I checked starter prices at Park Place Lexus in Texas. The entire starter, including a new solenoid, was about $150.00. The solenoid alone was about $75.00. I ordered the starter, had it installed, and the starting problems stopped. This was about six months ago, and there have been no further problems.

Apparently, the 96 uses a different starter than the 94. The price for the 96 starter at Park Place is $202.00. The price of the solenoid is about $80.00. I cannot say if this is the same starter as that in the Camry. Looking at the illustrations, they appear to be the same.

This starter is very easy to replace. Looking at the engine from the front of the car, it sits on top on the right side of the engine, just to the left of the battery. As I recall, I paid one hour labor to have the new one installed.

u need parts or repair done there a guy owns a shop in plainfield good prices and takes care of custumer if u need any info or help email me at mike_mike926@yahoo.com

Thanks everyone, you have been a tremendous help. I think I will just go ahead and replace the starter. Might give it a shot myself since it seems fairly easy. Hope everyone has a great day and weekend.

Start with the battery being bad ,then the starter eventually will get damaged by carbon tracking on the solenoid causing the resistance to be too high to engage the motor.

The starter is the same as the Camry , solara , highlander , sienna , ES and RX all have the v6 3.0l 1mz-fe . Only minimal changes over the years , some come with different original manufactures depending on the who Toyota used as a part supplier for the month but all fit and cross over.