Interior Lights

fwls400

I just bought a 1993 LS400. It is beautiful, only 83,000, with only a couple of minor problems, one of which is that the interior lights don't come on with the door open. The switch is in the door position, and they come on when I use the remote unlock, then go off like they are supposed to. Should I replace the light switch, or is the problem more likely in the door?

The stereo is also substandard, and the CD changer just shows err and won't do anything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

there should be a switch somewhere on your drivers door that (like the on on your firdge that shuts the light off when you close the door). Find it, and smack it around a bit and see if you can get the light on or off. Actually, whats best is if you open your passenger door tpo make your light go on, and then push the switch in to make it go off, you will know what switch it "SHOULD" be on the driver side. find the same one on the driver side and play rough, if it doesn;t fix it, remove it and see if there is anything you can clean on it, or if the wiring is somehow corroded for any reason. Try running a multimeter on your switch when it is removed to observe if it changes when pressed. if it doesn;t, change the switch....

I think www.lexls.com has a tutorial on "courtesy switches" in the electrical section, this may be the same spot you need to work on, although I think his were for a different reason.

Best of luck!

Located where they are, I would suspect corroded terminals for the switch itself. If you try jiggling the switch, do you get any flickering of the light? What do you mean that the stereo is "substandard"? What year is your Ls? Are the cd's your trying to play in regular format or are they mp3's?

Yeah, on my LS, the right front door sometimes requires me to just touch that switch and the light will come on. I think my old LS was the same way. <_<

Hondas and Acuras also seemed to have the same issue... the switches look very much the same if I recall. :whistles:

Located where they are, I would suspect corroded terminals for the switch itself. If you try jiggling the switch, do you get any flickering of the light? What do you mean that the stereo is "substandard"? What year is your Ls? Are the cd's your trying to play in regular format or are they mp3's?

Take out the switch and take a look. Even if they look ok, I would take a piece of fine sandpaper and clean the terminals. Also check the action of the slider. Should be free and easy. If not, some wd40 might free it up. I can't imagine those switches costing that much to replace.

Thanks for all the help. I can't see any switch in the doorjamb, though. That has to be the one thats the problem I assume, since they come on when I open the passenger door (sometimes).

As for the stereo, I just plugged my Ipod into the ciggarette lighter, and will not worry about the CD changer. The stereo in my Toyota tacoma sounds better, though. Maybe new speakers would help.

But, I have to say, both of these problems are insignificant compared to how nice it feels to drive this car. I can't wait to go somewhere far away!