1990 Ls400 Remote Start/alarm Installation!

marlon08901

OK....MY REMOTE START/SECURITY SYSTEM/KEYLESS ENTRY/TRUNK POPPER--HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN INSTALLED BY MYSELF WITH SOME HELP AND ENCOURAGEMENT FROM MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM! :cheers:

SYSTEM INSTALLED: READY REMOTE (DESIGNTECH) MODEL # 20092

TIME SPENT: 4HRS INCLUDING PICTURES + 1HR SPENT...TO RECONFIGURE DOOR LOCKS-(I WILL EXPLAIN LATER)

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS IS MY FIRST ALARM INSTALL!!

OK...SO HERE WE GO:

TOOLS I USED:

PHILIPS HEAD SCREW DRIVER

10MM SOCKET/WRENCH

ELECTRICAL TAPE

WIRE TIE

DRILL-FOR HOOD PIN SWITCH -YOU MAY CHOOSE TO USE THE SAME WIRE THAT THE FACTORY ANTI-THEFT USES.

WIRE SPLITTER (TO SPLIT WIRE "WITHOUT" CUTTING IN IN HALF)

VEHICLE WIRING INFORMATION - I WILL TELL YOU COLORS OF THE WIRES I USED--BUT PLEASE TEST THEM!!

MULTIMETER - OR SOMETHING TO MEASURE/TEST THE POLARITY OF THE WIRES.

SOLDER/SOLDERING IRON - I ONLY USED IT ON THE MAIN WIRES! -POWER/IGNITION ETC..

I started by removing the bottom half of the underdash held in place by 5 philips head screws. 3 on top (pictured) 2 at the bottom.

post-60222-1200026687_thumb.jpg post-60222-1200026696_thumb.jpg

post-60222-1200026703_thumb.jpg

after taking all the screws out....unplug the ECU diagnostic plug (at least I think that' what it is) and the courtesy light (pictured) by turning counterclock wise and pulling them out.

post-60222-1200027169_thumb.jpg

Once you take the bottom of the underdash you will discover 2 10mm screws at each end of the bottom of the upper half of the undersdash. Take them out!

post-60222-1200028105_thumb.jpgpost-60222-1200028113_thumb.jpg

The upper half is held in place by 6 10mm screws 2 at the bottom and 4 at the top. BEFORE REMOVING THE TOP 4 SCREWS UNSCREW THE HOOD RELEASE WIRE- It's held in place by 2 philips head screws-take them out and then release the wire.

post-60222-1200028662_thumb.jpgpost-60222-1200028670_thumb.jpg

The 4 top screws are located 2...right bellow the parking brake release handle and the other 2 are bellow the ignition/lock cylinder (you need to pry out the plastic piece sounding the key switch)--please see pictures.

post-60222-1200028247_thumb.jpgpost-60222-1200028254_thumb.jpgpost-60222-1200028266_thumb.jpg

BEFORE--pulling this part out....pull out what looks like a little vacum hose and a 2-wire white harness from behind this section.

AND also take out the plastic piece where the Gas and Trunk release switch are mounted, which is held in place by 2 philips head srews.

post-60222-1200028928_thumb.jpg

post-60222-1200032859_thumb.jpg

Now, remove the plastic air vent tube and the plastic trim piece at the bottom of the the diver's side door frame.

post-60222-1200029203_thumb.jpgpost-60222-1200029211_thumb.jpg

OK HERE COMES THE FUN PART!!!

behind the lock cylinder, right next to where the air vent tubing was......you will find a black harness with thick wires, this is your main harness. Notice that the colors of some of the wires change from one end of the harness to the other...for this specific install I used the ones on the bottom of the harness (see pic)...

post-60222-1200029805_thumb.jpgpost-60222-1200029813_thumb.jpg

The colors, polarity and functions are as follows:

12V POWER - positive - WHITE/BLUE

START - positive - RED/SILVER DOTS *

IGNITION 1- positive - BLACK/ORANGE *

IGNITION 2 - positive - BLACK/YELLOW **

ACCESSORY - positive - PINK/BLUE

* My aftermarket system came with a starter kill-wire (not even I with the key can start the car if the system is armed) a relay was used and the start & Ignition1 wires were used. This is an optional feature that I did not need to install but I choose to. Some aftermarket systems do not have this feature and even if it does you don't have to use it if you don't want to. Instructions on how to do do this should be included the manual that came with your system.

** Although most aftermarket alarms do have a positive (+) Ignition2 wire output - The Ignition 2 wire from my aftermarket system was negative (-) so I had to use a relay to turn it into a positive (+) The manual your aftermarket system came with should tell you if you need a relay or not and also how to use it. If you need more info let me know.

The following 2 wires (Horn and Hood pin) I will tell you what the wiring guide says about them but I did not use them nor tested them so you will have to that yourself. I'll tell you why I chose not to use them later.

The colors, polarity and functions and location acording to most wiring guides I found are as follows:

Horn - negative - green/red - steering column

The following picture is of the harness to the right side of the steering column where most wiring guides will tell you the Horn wire is...however, they said the same thing about the parking light wire and I could not find that wire here...I'll show you where I found it later. Also, please note the the Horn wire is NEGATIVE and my system has a POSITIVE horn wire output so if I wanted to use the horn I would have to use a relay AGAIN.... and I did not have any more relays at hand, besides I do like the sound that the siren that came with the system has so I decided to run a wire to the front engine compartment for the siren. I'll show you how later.

post-60222-1200032924_thumb.jpg

Hood pin - negative - green/white - anti-theft module

The following pictures is of the harnesses at the anti-theft module. The anti-theft module is located at the top left hand side corner under the driver's side dash behind the fuse box. I chose not to use this wire because it seemed very thin and hard to get to and I was not comfortable stripping the plastic piece and attaching another wire to it (you can use wire attachement clips but I did not have any) besides, I was already runnig a wire to the engine compartment for the siren so I decided to run the wire for the hood pin too! By the way, you may run the TACH wire at the same time too (if you choose the tach options on your starter).

post-60222-1200033877_thumb.jpgpost-60222-1200033884_thumb.jpg

OK...since I was talking about running wires to the engine compartment here is how I did it. There is a plastic groumet under the carpet right by where the brake pedal is so I took the groument out, inserted a long screw driver all the way to under the car (there is another plastic groumet there)....attached 2 wires to it and pulled it back up-inside the car. I ran the wires from under the car along the side under a metal heatshield plate all the way up by the brake fluid container(SEE PICS). Make sure to insulate your wires so they won't be affected by the heat....I used tape around the wires and also wire loom. Once the wires are in the engine compartment I plug one of them to the positive side of my siren, screw the siren inplace and grounded it. The other wire I ran to where I had drilled and installed my hood pin switch and connected it there. Inside the car I connected the wire from the siren to the POSITIVE siren output from my aftermarket system and connected the Hood pin switch to the NEGATIVE hood pin switch input in my aftermarket system. I DID NOT USE A TACH WIRE!

post-60222-1200034617_thumb.jpgpost-60222-1200034625_thumb.jpgpost-60222-1200034632_thumb.jpgpost-60222-1200034640_thumb.jpgpost-60222-1200034647_thumb.jpg

Ok...NOW WE ARE WORKING INSIDE THE CAR AGAIN......WE ARE HALF WAY THERE!! I NEED A DRINK--:cheers:

Some of the following wires are in the locations most wiring guides (I looked at) indicated, some are not! :angry: ---I will indicate which ones the wiring guides I looked at were wrong about!

THESE ARE THE PLUGS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE DRIVER'S SIDE KICK PANEL!

post-60222-1200036379_thumb.jpg

The following are the wires and locations I used!

The colors, polarity functions and location I USED are as follows:

Trunk Release - negative- at trunk release switch! (I used the blue wire in the top 2wire harness)

post-60222-1200041104_thumb.jpg

Parkinglight - positive - green/sliver dots - wire bunch coming out from fuse panel -guides were wrong about his one!

post-60222-1200035730_thumb.jpg

Door trigger - negative - red/white - third plug from left to right at the driver's side kick panel - guides were right!

post-60222-1200035788_thumb.jpg

Brake - positive - green/white - second plug at the driver's kick panel (gray plug) - guides were right!

post-60222-1200035856_thumb.jpg

OK--THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION PLEASE READ CAREFUL!!! ONCE AGAIN...THIS IS BASED ON MY INSTALLATION AND MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE....WIRING GUIDES MAY DIFFER FROM WHAT I DID! CHECK YOUR MANUAL AND TEST ALL WIRES!!

I found 5 wires that have to do with the lock/unlock and anti-theft system arm/disarm. I only tested 3 at first but then find out I needed to test more!! BY THE WAY...WE HAVE NEGATIVE DOOR LOCKS!

There is a BLUE harness on the diver's side kick panel (next to a small white one) - They both hold all the wires coming into the car from the driver's side door. (I circled the wires I used in my final installation...not circled is the green/black "unlock" wire)

post-60222-1200039033_thumb.jpg

On this BLUE plug you will find a

Green/black wire - this is the unlock wire using the control switch - it showed no changes when using the key.

(This were the first wires I tested and they seemed right so I used them first--did not test any more.)

Green/red wire - this is the lock wire using the control switch - it showed no changes when using the key.

(This were the first wires I tested and they seemed right so I used them first-did not test any more.)

Grenn/yellow wire - this wire is the lock wire using the key and the FACTORY ALARM "ARM" - it showed no changes when using the switch.

Green wire - this is the FACTORY ALARM DISARM no unlock although it shows a change when unlocking the door with the key--no changes when unlocking the door with the switch.

OK...HERE'S WHERE IT GET'S TRICKY.

There is a green wire in the 4th harness at the driver's kick panel... ALL guides told me it was the FACORY ALARM DISARM....which it is a FACTORY ALARM "DISARM" BUT ALSO "UNLOCKS" THE DOORS (I did not know that part at first..I thought it was only the "disarm" wire---THEY BOTH (GREEN WIRES) TESTED THE SAME EXCEPT WHEN GIVEN A NEGATIVE CHARGE ONLY ONE OF THEM OPENS THE DOORS).

post-60222-1200039246_thumb.jpg

WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN??....LET ME EXPLAIN AND LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES.

At first I used the Green/black (unlock) and the green/red (lock)---and connected my aftermarket system's ->FACTORY ALARM "DISARM" and "UNLOCK" wire to the green wire at the bottom of the kick panel like the manual and wiring guides told me to.

SO---I could lock and unlock the car with the new remote and I can get the car starter--THE PROBLEM was that when I started the car the door would "unlock" and even though the aftermarket alarm was still arm....I could open the door and the alarm would go off (siren will sound) and I could not start my car with the key...but I could have stolen things from inside the car and run away before anyone would know....SO---you do NOT need the doors unlock when the car starts!---THE SOLUTION connected the aftermarket FACTORY ALARM "DISARM" wire to the green wire at the BLUE plug-NOT at the white plug at the bottom-THEY BOTH (GREEN WIRES) TESTED THE SAME EXCEPT WHEN GIVEN A NEGATIVE CHARGE ONLY ONE OF THEM OPENS THE DOORS).

SO--I had my lock/unlock and I could start the car without the doors being open but then I thought....hmm! why is the factory alarm not arming??? I thought maybe it is not supposed to work when the aftermarket alarm is on, and I thought I was done but something still did not make sense. What is the reason the FACTORY ALARM is not on?? There has to be a logical explanation...so I posted another topic and some people told me their factory alarm did not work in conjunction with the aftermarket one. But, someone told me that they could still arm the FACTORY ALARM with their remote key. I don't have a button on my key but I knew that the FACTORY ALARM used to arm itself after I press the lock botton and close the door, so....I decided to test more wires and see which one tested as "lock" with the key...that's how I came across the green/yellow "lock" wire. So I disconnected my "lock" wire from the green/red "lock" wire and connected it to the green/yellow "lock" wire.

NOW----I CAN START THE CAR WITHOUT ANY DOORS BEING OPEN. I CAN USE THE KEYLESS ENTRY AND WHEN I LOCK THE DOORS/ARM THE SYSTEM WITH MY REMOTE....BOTH ALARM ACTIVATE! AND WHEN I PRESS THE UNLOCK OR DISARM THE AFTERMARKET SYSTEM....BOTH SYSTEMS DISARM!

IN CONCLUSION:

THE HARDEST PART WAS DEFINATELY....TROUBLESHOOTING SOME ISSUES AT THE END!

ALL THE FEATURES OF MY REMOTE START WORK PERFECTLY AND I AM HAPPY WITH IT.

OK SO HERE'S THE DEAL:

IF YOU WANT TO USE AFTERMARKET ALARM SYSTEM ONLY...USE:

GREEN WIRE AT BLUE PLUG FOR FACTORY ALARM DISARM -NO UNLOCK

GREEN/RED AT BLUE PLUG FOR LOCK -FACTORY ALARM WILL NOT ARM!

GREEN/BLACK WIRE AT BLUE PLUG FOR -UNLOCK

IF YOU WANT TO USE BOTH ALARM SYSTEMS...USE:

GREEN WIRE AT BLUE PLUG FOR FACTORY ALARM DISARM -NO UNLOCK

GREEN/YELLOW AT BLUE PLUG FOR FACTORY ALARM ARM-LOCK

GREEN/BLACK WIRE AT BLUE PLUG FOR -UNLOCK

I HOPE THESE PICTURES AND INSTRUCTIONS MAKE SENSE AND WAS OF HELP TO SOME OF YOU!

SORRY I HAD TO GO ON AND ON BUT I FIGURED IT'S GOOD TO LET YOU KNOW THE PROBLEMS I ENCOUNTERED!

Disclaimer

*All INFORMATION PROVIDED TO YOU WAS BASED IN MY OWN EXPERIENCE......I AM NO EXPERT (FAR FROM IT) AND CANNOT BE BLAMED FOR ANY MISTAKES/DAMAGES CAUSED BY MIS USE/ MISINTERPRETATION OR FAILURE TO DO YOUR OWN WIRE TESTING...THIS INFORMATION IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY AND SHOULD NOT BE USED AS A GUIDE.

THE ALARM SYSTEM WAS INSTALLED IN MY OWN 1990 LEXUS LS 400. READ YOUR INSTALLATION MANUAL FULLY BEFORE TRYING TO INSTALL ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR AND USE WIRING GUIDES FROM DIFFERENT SOURCES TO COMPARE.

post-60222-1200040645_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent Marlon, now I am hoping UPS hurries my package across the cold border here so I can get working on my remote start... invaluable indeed! I didn;t notice, but did you install any of the following with your system:

Trunk opener

Domelight auto-on

defrost upon remote start

?

Let me know,

Aaron

Excellent Marlon, now I am hoping UPS hurries my package across the cold border here so I can get working on my remote start... invaluable indeed! I didn;t notice, but did you install any of the following with your system:

Trunk opener

Domelight auto-on

defrost upon remote start

?

Let me know,

Aaron

Aaron--

Trunk opener/Trunk Release - negative- at trunk release switch! (I used the blue wire in the top 2wire harness) there's a picuture of it...posted above..you must have missed it.

Dome light /Door trigger - negative - red/white - third plug from left to right at the driver's side kick panel - there's a picuture of it...posted above..you must have missed it. I used this wire for my aftermarket alarm so if anyone opens the doors the alarm will sound. If you are installing a "REMOTE START" with NO alarm features you may not need to use this wire as a door trigger. If your REMOTE START has a wire that tells you, it needs to be connected to the "Dome light" this is the wire you would need to use. It has a NEGATIVE charge when the doors are open. Therefore, it will need a negative charge from your system to turn the "dome" light "on" when you start your car.

Defrost upon remote start - make sure that you climate control unit is left "on" and also the defroster is "on" when you turn the car off. This way when the car starts the "heater" and the "defroster" will work. There was no extra wire from my alarm for this "defrost" wire. Nor did I see any "defrost" wire in the guides...I'm not sure if it exists!

Hope this could help!

• Like 1

Thanks MArlon, I meant defrost as in the elctrical rear window defrost, although i am sure i can find it... Being in the COLD part of canada, the remote start is more for winter than it is for summer ;) But I do know to set my heater before leaving the vehicle as my other car has remote start.

Thanks MArlon, I meant defrost as in the elctrical rear window defrost, although i am sure i can find it... Being in the COLD part of canada, the remote start is more for winter than it is for summer ;) But I do know to set my heater before leaving the vehicle as my other car has remote start.

Just follow the defrost wire from behind the HVAC control unit and tap into that--needs a negative trigger to arm the rear window defrost.

Me too! Too many electrical wires! :wacko:
You have more guts than I do, I'd be too terrified of !Removed! something up with the electronics on my car LOL.:cheers:

I was too when I first thought about doing installing the alarm myself but then I figured....if I don't disconnect any harnesses and test every wire before I tap into it.....I should be ok. And thankfully, it all turned out good! B)

Marlon, how nice it is to see such a thorough compilation of pics and data. Thanks for joining us and Kudos for a fine job. Welcome to the club with such a copious amount of info and effort. :cheers: You are truly an asset. Well done!

• 5 months later...

Marlon,

I'm having problems with my factory alarm. It only arms when it wants to and then it randomly goes off. I've checked the trunk wires, cleaned the door courtesy switches, and pulled the dash apart looking for wiring problems.

After many hours of work and frustration, I am no closer to fixing the problem. In a fit of frustration, I cut the green/red wire from the blue wire harness hoping it would disable the alarm. The alarm wouldn't arm, and I was hoping it was disabled. It just went off again.

Any ideas how I would disarm it.

Please,

Brett

• 1 month later...
Marlon,

I'm having problems with my factory alarm. It only arms when it wants to and then it randomly goes off. I've checked the trunk wires, cleaned the door courtesy switches, and pulled the dash apart looking for wiring problems.

After many hours of work and frustration, I am no closer to fixing the problem. In a fit of frustration, I cut the green/red wire from the blue wire harness hoping it would disable the alarm. The alarm wouldn't arm, and I was hoping it was disabled. It just went off again.

Any ideas how I would disarm it.

Please,

Brett

Hey...sorry I did not read you post before but I don't really check in here to often...I hope you were able to fix your problem.

Here's a wiring guide for you 94' LS400 in case you ever need it.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1283.html

By the way, in my car as well as in your car the Factory alarm disable wire is Green (-) and it needs a negative pulse to disarm....what made you decide to cut the GREEN/RED wire?. Cutting would wires do not help unless the have a constant charge. In your case I would have tried grounding (-) the factory alarm disarm wire and this will probrably keep the alarm disarmed all the time or...you could have tried to unplug the harness from the anti-theft module.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope its better than the one that my uncle had installed on my aunts 1990 LS400 back in 1998. It malfunctioned one morning, the car kept cranking after it started and it destroyed the starter! That was a nice $1100 repair. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the post! Definitely helped me A LOT. I've installed my system, everything works GREAT, except for the parking lights.

Parkinglight - positive - green/sliver dots - wire bunch coming out from fuse panel -guides were wrong about his one!

This wire doesn't seem to be them. Is it perhaps the Green/black wire with silver dots? I was a little foolish and threw everything back together before I tested the lights, doh! I do not want to fight with that stupid black vent again. Thanks in advance for any reply!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the post! Definitely helped me A LOT. I've installed my system, everything works GREAT, except for the parking lights.

This wire doesn't seem to be them. Is it perhaps the Green/black wire with silver dots? I was a little foolish and threw everything back together before I tested the lights, doh! I do not want to fight with that stupid black vent again. Thanks in advance for any reply!

Hi!

I looked at the first posting I made and also looked at the notes I was taking as I did my install and the wire I used is definitely the green/silver dots wire.

Hi!

I looked at the first posting I made and also looked at the notes I was taking as I did my install and the wire I used is definitely the green/silver dots wire.

Thanks! I'll have to crunch into the mystery a little deeper then. My manual said Lexus Park lights are Negative (-). But, that can't be it, because it's positive.. lol. The search goes on!

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

Hi!

Thanks! I'll have to crunch into the mystery a little deeper then. My manual said Lexus Park lights are Negative (-). But, that can't be it, because it's positive.. lol. The search goes on!

Thanks again!

Hello!

The first post was very very helpful. It saved me a lots of time. I was looking how to install an Aftermarket Keyless entry on my 1991 Lexux LS400 and found this post.

I sues 3 wires, Green/Black, Green/Yellow for unlock/lock and for power I used the Red wire from the Door Courtesy Light ( which comes on when the door is opened ). My system is working fine.

Thanks to all who contribute their works on this forum. It saves lots of time and especially money in today,s bad economic. Keep up the good work.

Thanks again.

Hi!

Thanks again!

Hello!

The first post was very very helpful. It saved me a lots of time. I was looking how to install an Aftermarket Keyless entry on my 1991 Lexux LS400 and found this post.

I sues 3 wires, Green/Black, Green/Yellow for unlock/lock and for power I used the Red wire from the Door Courtesy Light ( which comes on when the door is opened ). My system is working fine.

Thanks to all who contribute their works on this forum. It saves lots of time and especially money in today,s bad economic. Keep up the good work.

Thanks again.

Always glad to help! :cheers:

• 10 months later...

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread..but I do have a question as I am at this point where my Remote key has failed, and I have found a better alternative for locking and unlocking my doors remotely. Viper! Anyways, I have everything working thanks to this thread...except the Locking-Arm, Unlocking-Disarm of the factory OEM alarm system.

I see where the 4 plugs are down on the kick panel...where my confusion comes in is his reference to the "Blue" plug. I have a 93 LS400, and the 4 plugs down on the kick panel are as follows from lefte to right: 1 small 4 pin white connector, 1 Grey connector, a white connector, and the very last one in the back is a white connector. I need to know the exact location of the Lock-Arm / Unlock-Disarm of the Factory system to tie into. The 4 plug harness in the drivers side kick panel, from what I have read is where I can find the wires to do the job. But, The reference to the "Blue" plug has thrown me for a loop as none of my plugs are blue. Having a 1993 LS, and a 1992 parts car, I have run into many incidences where some Plug connectors are designed differently and don't interchange. So does this mean the 93-94 LS400's are outside the classification of "1st Gen"??? Anyway, the Green / yellow (lock-arm) and Green / black (unlock-dis arm) sticks in my mind. Which connector are these wires found in the 93-94's?

Am I off base here? I would like to Arm the Viper, lock the doors, and also arm the factory system at the same time. When disarming, I would like to also disarm the factory system and Unlock the drivers door only, and be able to use another button or 2nd pressing of the unlock button to unlock all the doors. Is this possible? any help is greatly appreciated! If this is not possible to do progressive Lock sequencing without adding additional relays then I will settle for unlocking and locking ALL doors at once while arming and disarming the factory system. Can this be done using the Factory Plug connector that connects to the Factory Key Module in the trunk?

******* Update *******

Stumbled across this not realizing i never came back to update the post.. Alarm was installed and working with no issues for over a year now. Locks, Unlocks, arms and disarms factory system, as well as the Aftermarket DEI device and flashes the lights. Thanks to this thread!

Thanks

-= Molly

the12volt.com

Go there. I've done several keyless and alarms in LSs over the years (along with hundreds of other cars) but I didn't bother skimming through that whole first page to verify all the wiring instructions. The door locks are negative trigger, easy to find with a basic test light, as is the trunk release wire. The majority of vehicle manufacturers follow the same basic build procedures so wiring is easy to locate if you've done a similar car before. Ignition/starter wires are always at the column, lock wires are generally always in the kick panel or in the door.

the12volt.com

Go there. I've done several keyless and alarms in LSs over the years (along with hundreds of other cars) but I didn't bother skimming through that whole first page to verify all the wiring instructions. The door locks are negative trigger, easy to find with a basic test light, as is the trunk release wire. The majority of vehicle manufacturers follow the same basic build procedures so wiring is easy to locate if you've done a similar car before. Ignition/starter wires are always at the column, lock wires are generally always in the kick panel or in the door.

Good Deal man...I found them. Will be trying this out soon. Will post back. Thanks

-= Molly

• 4 months later...