Accident Related

Melissab

I was rear ended last month while driving my 2004 rx330. I was traveling about 60mph when someone slammed into the back of me. The car had little damage, passenger side scrapes on the bumper and the tail pipe tip was bent along with the actual tail pipe. The bracket underneath the bumper was also broken. Since the accident the truck makes a creaking noise when I turn, either direction. It does not make the noise over bumps. The insurance company paying and body shop can't determine if the noise is from the accident or not. They think it is damage to the bushings in the suspension and that could also be from wear and tear. The car was perfect before the accident. I'd just purchased in back in June 07 with only 24k miles and now it only has 34k miles. I'm sure it wasn't making the noise prior to this. I had a warranty when I purchased but it ran out in Sept.

The insurance company said the car will need to go to a dealer and if it is accident related they will pay. If not then I have to pay for the cost of looking at the car to determine this.

Sorry for the long winded explanation to ask this......Do bushings normally wear out in just 34k?

The car was perfect before the accident. I'd just purchased in back in June 07 with only 24k miles and now it only has 34k miles. I'm sure it wasn't making the noise prior to this. I had a warranty when I purchased but it ran out in Sept.

The insurance company said the car will need to go to a dealer and if it is accident related they will pay. If not then I have to pay for the cost of looking at the car to determine this.

Sorry for the long winded explanation to ask this......Do bushings normally wear out in just 34k?

" truck makes a creaking noise when I turn, either direction."

That sounds like something is bent. If you were hit at 60, then you probably did a little side to side action or did you spin all the way around? In ether case, the suspension is not designed for those kind of loads. Did they do a 4 wheel alignment to be sure all of the wheels are going straight?

Lexus has a 4yr 50K mile warranty on the whole car. Check the left door frame sticker for the mfg. date. This will give you a general date. The warranty date starts on the date of the first sale. At least that's what I understand.

I'd take it to the dealer and if it's not accident related, then it should be covered under the Lexus warranty. If the dealer said it's not accident and not warranty, then you can always take it to the mechanic of your choice or accept it as is. I bet the dealer finds that it's "accident related" because the insurance Co. has more money than you. (Oops I'm ranting again, sorry)

The car was perfect before the accident. I'd just purchased in back in June 07 with only 24k miles and now it only has 34k miles. I'm sure it wasn't making the noise prior to this. I had a warranty when I purchased but it ran out in Sept.

" truck makes a creaking noise when I turn, either direction."

That sounds like something is bent. If you were hit at 60, then you probably did a little side to side action or did you spin all the way around? In ether case, the suspension is not designed for those kind of loads. Did they do a 4 wheel alignment to be sure all of the wheels are going straight?

Lexus has a 4yr 50K mile warranty on the whole car. Check the left door frame sticker for the mfg. date. This will give you a general date. The warranty date starts on the date of the first sale. At least that's what I understand.

I'd take it to the dealer and if it's not accident related, then it should be covered under the Lexus warranty. If the dealer said it's not accident and not warranty, then you can always take it to the mechanic of your choice or accept it as is. I bet the dealer finds that it's "accident related" because the insurance Co. has more money than you. (Oops I'm ranting again, sorry)

Thanks for the reply, date of the first sale was actually July 03' so I'm out of warranty. Alignment wasn't done. We are arguing with Geico to get them to cover a diagnositic check from Lexus. So I guess we have to just wait and see.

Sorry it's out of warranty.

If you have a dealer near you, you might talk to a service tech. and find out if and when (mileage) bushings are replaced. I don't recall anyone complaining about worn rear bushings. But, I havent read all 10,000 post yet.